Bridge the gap...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soon I think this will all die down because it is inevitable. For example, you had the federalists and anti-federalists at each others throats around 1800. This fervor died down once the War of 1812 ended. There was no real partisanship until the age of Jackson (the birth of the whig party). Slavery of course exacerbated problems in the 1840s and 50s. However, even in this century, the success of the Roosevelt coalition (labor, farmers, urban dwellers, etc.) held together for quite awhile. I think that sometime in the future we will look back on this time period as maybe full of too much partisan spirit on both sides. At least I hope that is the case.

Well, soon is a rather relative word. Usually it took some sort of sudden change in the landscape to bring about an era of consensus and compromise such as the Great Depression or War of 1812. Who knows what can happen in the near future that will cause the two sides to begin working together in a more polite fashion?

verte76 said:
The way I look at the supporting of our troops issue: I respect the heck out of our brave, disciplined and hard working men and women in uniform. It's their bosses in Washington I don't necessarily support.
That's good enough for me.

I don't know if we can ever "bridge the gap." Let's not forget that taxation - a very minor issue in today's society - was enough to cause the Revolutionary War.

There will always be some gaps, that's what makes the system work.

But I don't want to see another election like 04 again. The gap we have now is wide and destructive, and we do need to find a way to heal that.

Macfistowannabe said:
End the dirty tricks?

I think there are even disagreements over exactly what "dirty tricks" are. Don't forget the 527 controversies. Unless they explicitly pass a law making 527's illegal this stuff will continue to happen.

verte76 said:
I think there are even disagreements over exactly what "dirty tricks" are. Don't forget the 527 controversies. Unless they explicitly pass a law making 527's illegal this stuff will continue to happen.
I'll admit "ending dirty tricks" is rather simplified and vague. Dirty tricks were used even in Jeffersonian times. They're not likely to end now. I don't really see many solutions to bridge the gap, however, besides be attentive to what the other side has to say.

Back
Top Bottom