Breast Milk-Not just for kids any more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Swedish scientists have found that breast milk contains a compound that destroys skin warts, it could also protect against cervical cancer and an array of fatal diseases. The human papilloma virus causes skin warts. It is a very common virus.

The scientists tried applying human breast-milk to the skin and found that the human papilloma virus was killed as a result (the virus in the warts). The virus, in these cases, had been resistant to traditional medical treatment.

Scientists are calling the compound Hamlet. You can read about this discovery in the New England Journal of Medicine.
[/Q]

You all thought I was being a pig! Didn't yoU!

:wink:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=9880

[Q]Despite its promise, experts say that, for several reasons, the salve is more than a few steps away from practical application.

"The fact that this therapy specifically killed infected cells and left others alone was really impressive, and the fact that patients experienced no side effects was also impressive, and the remission was long-lasting," said Dr. Sumayah Jamal, an assistant professor of dermatology and microbiology at New York University School of Medicine. "Having said all of that, I have no idea how this therapy would ever get cleared by the U.S. [Food and Drug Administration] because they used human breast milk."

Warts caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) are one of the most common reasons for visits to a dermatologist. Certain strains of this virus can cause cervical cancer, but this study, appearing in the June 24 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, was concerned only with strains that cause cutaneous warts, mostly on the hands and feet. There are about 130 different strains of the virus in all. In general, the warts aren't that dangerous, but they can be disfiguring and they can spread, Jamal said.[/Q]

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2004/06/23/hscout519678.html

[Q]"This may have relevance for the treatment of cervical cancer," because virally infected and cancer cells are similar, said lead researcher Dr. Catharina Svanborg, professor of clinical immunology at Lund University in Lund, Sweden.

The researchers hope to start small-scale testing of the compound soon on women with cervical cancer.[/Q]

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsmilk24q3865429jun24,0,3119267.story?coll=ny-health-headlines

So to make this practical, how are they going to get the milk for this?

I sincerely hope the lactating female public do not line up for this.
This is another of those situations where I wonder how on earth someone/a scientist thought "hmm, might try some BOOBIE milk on these darn warts!"

They'll do what they always do in modern American science. Synthesize the relevant chemical, except they'll fuck it up, adding tons of side-effects, but they'll be able to patent this treatment then and make tons of $$$. You can't patent breast milk, so do you think that the pharmaceutical industry will encourage it as a cancer treatment?

In the meantime, for all those who don't want to wait, just hope you can find a lactating woman who is open-minded.

Melon

melon said:

In the meantime, for all those who don't want to wait, just hope you can find a lactating woman who is open-minded.

Melon

OMG....I can see it in the Public Gardens.....

Honey mind if I have a squirt on this here wart?

nbcrusader said:
Oh, you apply it topically? :wink:

:lmao:

Ummm...yeah! Although, I wonder if there is a way to......ummmmm....never mind....wrong forum.

:hmm:

When you synthesize a "chemical" you don't add tons of side effects. They are a result of being unable to synthesize the exact compound in a laboratory, and in any case, nobody in their right mind is pursuing patents for highly toxic materials as they will never get the funding for further research, nor pass FDA approval.

This is eons from being used. I can pretty much tell you what they will do, because I am right now doing work on synthesizing a new anti-breast cancer compound. They will first have to find potential interacting targets of the compound (ie. what does it bind to or react with to get the achieved result). Then, once they figure that out, you have to find out which part of the compound is necessary for the binding, from that point on, you synthesize it synthetically and do blocking tests on it. You'd also clone (oh no! EVIL cloning) the compound if possible into overexpressing and underexpressing lines to compare the effects with normal cell lines. Tons and years of work ahead and possibly all fruitless. Bench work is like that, frustrating and incredible at the same time.

So, basically, lactating women, their husbands, and their children will be the only ones wartless and free from cervical cancer.

Weird topic on a U2 forum, but since my wife is breastfeeding our 15 month old son, thought I'd take a look. Unfortunately, none of us have warts, so a field test is out.

Bono B. Jones said:
Weird topic on a U2 forum, but since my wife is breastfeeding our 15 month old son, thought I'd take a look.

Awesome!!!! That is hard work. Your kid will be healthy because of it!

Dreadsox said:

Awesome!!!! That is hard work. Your kid will be healthy because of it!

Yep, my wife has been a real trooper. She was dead set on breastfeeding from the very beginning and that wound up being the only thing she got to have "her" way regarding his birth. She wanted to have a natural underwater birth and wound up having an emergency c-section after about 18hrs of intense labor. It was tough, but she has no regrets because our son is healthy and beautiful.

My son is definitely more healthy and well nourished. He was quite a chunky boy there for awhile, but he's been crawling like a madman since Christmas and has slimmed down quite a bit. He's only had a fever once so far and that was because of shots and he gets over the little colds very fast.

She's looking at weaning him completely in October. He's not gonna like it!

Seriously, with my first child I used to squirt breast milk into her eyes as it was good for conjunctivitis (sp?) and other eye infections, so this news doesnt suprise me :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom