Breaktime FYM Parallel Lives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Tell us about your ideal parallel life (lives)? Be lavish in your detail. You get to create a whole other life here. Who is the other you?

In a parallel life I'm living in a small countryside village near the coast somewhere in the British Isles living a simple life, spending my days working in some shop and my evenings enjoying music and socializing in the local pub.

In all reality that's my fallback if I don't make it in politics :lol:

In my parallel life I have a small cattle ranch in Namibia (mainly to entertain my herding and livestock guarding dogs) and I also work at the cheetah conservatory. I was born into money so each Christmas we travel to somewhere else in the world we've always wanted to see.

King of Scotland. I take over England every couple of years just to let them know what it feels like. And I do this while drunk and stoned. :D Also, I play the drums real well. The weather is always in the 70s or 80s. The Queen is cool. Space Travel is possible, and we can go faster than light. The Scottish Football team has won 3 of the last 5 world cups. Hockey is also real big. It's quiet. Everyone is chillin'. There's lots of Guinness everywhere. Nice.

I have become extremely wealthy, due to winning both the Indiana lottery and the Powerball. I go to my office after dark and get my stuff; send my resignation letter by e-mail; and no one there ever sees me again. I have a beachfront house on Sanibel Island, Florida, as well as a home in the mountains/woods in Virginia. I travel to Ireland, England, and Scotland whenever I want to. I take my entire family and my friends to Disney World for two weeks, alternating stays at the fanciest resorts. I give lots of money to my family members. I hire U2 to play for my next birthday celebration, and I invite my family members and friends.
:wink:

I've got a divine singing voice, and can play rings around anyone on the piano. I never lose my temper and have an endless well of patience for everyone. My dog is trained, and my kids clean up after themselves. I sell paintings for small amounts of money to people who genuinely like what I do, and I can do this because I too, am obscenely rich. I don't act rich though, except for my collection of high powered V8 sports cars. I've got an enormous home library and a perfect photographic memory.

I have reached my spiritual destination; I´m on top of a hill overlooking the beautiful landscape, and the queen is right beside me. We go down to the shore and bathe naked in the everlasting sea. From the beach I hear the sounds of beloved people who create and share their art and wisdom with me.

Me in my parallel life is the main character of the novel I'm currently writing. I own a trekking/tour company on Saipan. I am divorced from a beautiful woman that I grew bored with, and rather than stick it out, I cut her loose to look for greener (and perhaps younger) pastures. I am sleeping with a married woman. I am a "nice guy" but ultimately selfish, more concerned with my own pleasure than who is collateral damage along the way to that end. My life is exciting full of days outside under the brilliant blue tropical sky and on the crystal waters of the paradise I live in. In the evenings, I have a few beers with the guys, flirt with the women, hope to get lucky. Ultimately, my life is a bit empty, and, I suppose rather lonely. But I don't think about that much.

In short, my parallel life is everything that tempts me. It is everything I'm not, not because I am afraid to live this way, but because ultimately I believe it is wrong--not just in some sort of abstract moral sense, but wrong in the way that everything wrong is wrong--wrong for me, wrong for those around me--a life that would ultimatly be far less satisfying than the one that I live now and so often take for granted. And still, it beckons sometimes, like a mirage, and so I live it through the pages of this novel that is slowly unfolding, exploring it's delights as well its consequences.

By the way, in case anyone's been wondering where I've been, I've been avoiding FYM because I've been busy getting into the swing of a new year and I knew if I came in here I'd get sucked in and I couldn't afford that when I needed to guard my time.

But I'm back. And glad to be.

I live with my family (just as they are now) in a small town in a beautiful natural setting with a mild climate and forests all around. I work part-time for a therapeutic recreation organization which provides hiking, camping and other outdoors-oriented activities for children and adults with various special needs; the rest of the time, I'm a nature and rural issues writer and photographer, in the vein of folks like Rick Bass, Annie Dillard, Wendell Berry or John McPhee.

And like Lies said, if I also had enough money to travel once or twice a year for a few weeks to pretty much anywhere in the world or the country I wanted, that'd be great too. :wink:

No death with 54, I would be a bit healthier, and a bit more open and less shy... well, that's all I want right now.

I live in Philadelphia in a nice condo with my good looking wife. I have two jobs: guitarist/singer for a successful band and sports writer. I spend a lot of time at bars with my buddies and vacationing with my buddies down the Jersey shore. I occasionally do some acting on the side in sitcoms and comedy movies.

Oh, and I'm 10 inches taller, putting me at 6'3".

I'm a successful novelist and journalist living in the Irish countryside with my handsome Irish husband. We ride our horses along the countryside and along the beach. We own an apartment on Upper East Side in NYC, and we vacation in various parts in the world. I wear designer clothes and rub elbows with the rich and famous!

If only, if only...

This is an awesome thread. I'm totally freaked out how like, all of these parallel lives, are in-line with what I would hope for.

Cool.

I agree, this is an awesome thread. I could think of so many things, but maybe it's best to answer this in a spontaneous way instead of overthinking it.

I am basically me (with some positive improvements non-physical wise) only stunningly beautiful (and much younger), with a perfect body. I know I'm supposed to be the same exact person with a different life, but I don't care-it's my parallel life and I'll do what I want :D I am in a fabulous relationship with a great guy- maybe a professional baseball player with a great personality, he's very sweet and wonderful and a very good person. The money he makes allows me to pursue various charitable projects and other interests such a photography. And I also start my own business (maybe a jewelry store) and have my own work and professional life. In the offseason we stay at our fabulous beachfront house in Hawaii, and we also own a cottage in Ireland.

It's perfect-when we get tired of each other there's always baseball season. He's a great player so will never be without a team and will play until he's at least 45, steroid free. After he retires I take an executive job with his team and they win the World Series.

If I really sat and thought about this I would come up with something much more meaningful and practical.

in my parallel life my dog and i would wander different communities, particularly those that have experienced negative things (i.e. disaster, tragedy, violence, poverty), and just bring some light and love to people who need it. be it in the form of hugs, advice, or even listening in silence. doing whatever, but most importantly being there for others, helping them heal and giving them hope...all the while learning a bit more about myself and the world around me too.

Last edited:
unico said:
in my parallel life my dog and i would wander different communities, particularly those that have experienced negative things (i.e. disaster, tragedy, violence, poverty), and just bring some light and love to people who need it. be it in the form of hugs, advice, or even listening in silence. doing whatever, but most importantly being there for others, helping them heal and giving them hope...all the while learning a bit more about myself and the world around me too.

Ah, Mia--that is beautiful! :hug:

First off I'd be stinking rich. And with that money I would set up a really cool arts complex -- creation space, living space, performance/exhibition space -- for a variety of art forms (2D and 3D visual artists; musicians; dancers; etc.) that would be accessible for artists from student/beginning level on. I'd make sure it would be both affordable (since I'm stinking rich I can afford to subsidise it) and yet have a bunch of very cool bells and whistles for both artists and patrons alike. I'd also set up grants and scholarships and such for individual artists (in all fields) and arts organisations. And I'd fund a few of my favourite bands. :D

I would live on a nice chunk of land (at least 200 acres -- more like 300) in a part of the country where there are four distinct seasons well outside any city. Partly wooded rolling land where my cats and dogs could roam outside without fear of cars (we'd be well back from any road...and the closest roads would be lightly travelled back roads anyway). I'd have horses -- at least a few. I would have employees to maintain the fences and grounds (I always did suck at that stuff), and someone to clean the house. The house would be set up to be very green -- solar panels and all that -- and would have a very open floor plan but wouldn't be huge.

Last edited:
I would have to live on water, with trees and hills or mountains. I need the differential in height. I need to look up at things and I need to look down at things. I need to hear and smell water.
I would rather earn a lot of money than be given it. (But if somebody gave it to me, I wouldn't say no in case anyone is inclined to offer). I'd be a screenplay writer of dark and hilarious films and maybe I would write a humor column and short stories. I think I would do just one novel. I'd teach one or two literature classes and nurture a promising young writer or two.

I'd have enough fame to have clout and access, but not enough to have celebrity. I'd rather a cult following than a mass following.
I'm needy of ego stroke, but it doesn't have to be universal.

I'd have more than one place to live, maybe a working farm in Washington state (I'm NOT the one doing the working, lol, but I can handle the morning chores) and a house on water in France.
I would need a lot of space. A lot of land, many rooms. And a small place along the Mexican border. I'd speak fluent and fluid Spanish and French and have a stable of horses including a black stallion and a chestnut mare and rangy dogs and marginally friendly cats.

Although I need privacy, I need to be close to my friends. I'm not good at long distance friendship. And I'm social, so I would need people not too far from me I could relate to. I'd have a string of relationships because even in a parallel life I can't imagine myself doing marriage well.

BonosSaint said:
I would have to live on water, with trees and hills or mountains...
I'd be a screenplay writer of dark and hilarious films and maybe I would write a humor column and short stories....

I'd rather a cult following than a mass following.
I'm needy of ego stroke, but it doesn't have to be universal....

I would need a lot of space. A lot of land, many rooms....

and rangy dogs and marginally friendly cats....

Although I need privacy, I need to be close to my friends. I'm not good at long distance friendship. And I'm social, so I would need people not too far from me I could relate to. I'd have a string of relationships because even in a parallel life I can't imagine myself doing marriage well.

I want to be you when I grow up.

Awsome thread, I just don't know where to start. I have been making up "parallel lives" for myself since I was a child, I have always thought up imaginary friends and people I would like to be surrounded by. Guess that says a lot about my real life, doesn't it?

In my parallel live I would be prettier and have long dark hair. I would be writing books and poetry and be able to live as a writer and artist. I would also paint and have a lot of friends who are artists. I would have a nice appartment in a European city, not too big, in an old house, I would live with two cats and have a big library and a nice office with a green park or garden view.

Apart from that, I'd like to have a house (not a villa or a mansion, nothing big or lavish) at the countryside, maybe even somewhere at the sea, where I can go and be creative. I would like to grow my own fruit and vegetables in the garden and have people coming over for dinner and/or a drink.

I would be much more communicative than I am now and a litle less introvert and have friends who like to have discussions about all kind of topics. I would be really into music, also classical music and the opera, and very well educated about music, literature, art, science and many more things. I would know a lot about wine and maybe have a little vinyard myself.

I would also like to be friends with Bono and I would like him to call me or write me e-mails and letters and I would like to have long hours of discussions and conversations with him about all kinds of topics. Maybe he'll hire me to write a biography about him or the band, and I could accompany them on tour.

I would also like to take more action for social causes and help those whose lives are less fortunate. I would love to be involved in different projects and work with inspiring people, who are passionate and commited to what they are doing.

I would also travel much much more than I do now.

Last edited:
Edited: I was chuckling at Anna's post, not last unicorn's. Simultaneous posts.:uhoh: There is something so bohemianly peaceful about last unicorn's parallel.

Last edited:
In my parallel life I am actually getting through on the phone to order tickets to see Bono in Philly.

OH wait, that's probably not what this thread is looking for.

I can't really answer this because I'm a senior in college and I am figuring out my life right now...so I could say my fantasy life/career but it would be more goals that I still might acheive and less parallel life. I guess that I could say that while I'm on a career track to become an expat and work in refugee and conflict issues, my other careers that I will always nostalgically look back on and think "what if" are doctor/MD-PhD working in emergency medicine or a novel and short story writer who gets to travel a lot.

Speaking of, as maycock said, I too have been laying off the FYM because classes have started. :sad:

Last edited:
Career: I run a thriving theatre company in a US metropolitain area that's not New York (Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle) that has an educational component and where the "real" actors come to work when they're tired of being offered shitty Hollywood scripts.

I also work with a non-profit group that uses the arts to raise awareness of pertinent social issues in developing nations.

Leisure: Since I run the theatre company, I can choose to direct when I want to and have plenty of time for my family but there's also plenty of time for travel to Europe, South America and Africa.

Personal: My husband gave up his lucrative career as the drummer in a band called U2 to join me in my worldwide artistic endeavors. My son is still the cutest thing on the planet.

Angela Harlem said:

I want to be you when I grow up.

me too. i really can't expand on that any further.

except i'll swap "Washington farm" for "Central California Coast villa" and add a loft in Manhattan as well, and i'd like to set aside one month a year where i'll rent an apartment in a different city across the world and attempt to live as a local and write about it the whole time.

and everyone will flock to my blog to read my humorous-but-penetrating insights.

ETA: i'll take a year and study the culinary arts, yet miraculously never gain a pound

If I do my research right and save up my money, my parallel life could come true this summer. I found a site that helps college students find summer jobs in the UK and Ireland! :hyper:

U2democrat said:
If I do my research right and save up my money, my parallel life could come true this summer. I found a site that helps college students find summer jobs in the UK and Ireland! :hyper:

Is it BUNAC (http://www.bunac.org/)? Most other schemes will charge fees for things that you could do yourself for less money.

Back
Top Bottom