Breaktime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
1. Borrowing liberally (okay, stealing) from Mrs. S. and
A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman?
Why?

2. What is your worst characteristic toward others?

3. What invalidates YOU the most?

4. What is your potato side? French fries, home fries,
baked, stuffed baked, hash browns, mashed (other)

5. Physically, what is the most expressive part of you?
How? What does it express? If you choose eyes,
you also have to pick one other.

6. Who taught you your most valuable lesson?

7. There are differing schools of thought on intelligence,
the predominant being general mental ability. But
another school of thought deals with multiple intelligences
such as naturalist, musical, logical/mathematical, existential,
interpersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, intrapersonal
and spatial : (See link for definitions.)
http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects/The Nine Types of Intelligence.htm
Accepting the multiple intelligence school for right now,
which are your highest intelligences?

8. What is the most overrated virtue? (Okay, I stole that
from Vanity Fair; I thought it sounded familiar when I
wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you
get to define virtue )

Why?

Sam from Benny & Joon. Not because he is played by Johnny Depp (though that certainly helps), but because as BC summed up to perfection "everyone needs a Sam in their lives". I've been madly in love with this movie for years. Watching it will explain why.

Impatience? I think it's impatience. It shows in my inability to stay calm at various people and circumstances. Someone once very kindly said I dont suffer fools gladly, but sadly, I'm the biggest fool I know. I think I cannot handle in others what I hate in myself.

Others' arrogance. It's a complicated process.

Mashed. With gravy and/or onions.

Hands. I use them to draw, paint, write, gesture wildly, point, fidget, etc. I'll knock someone out one day. Just wait.

Probably myself. I make my biggest mistakes, afterall. It's only natural I will learn the most from them rather than something I half pay attention to from someone else. It's all part of that "I Shit Me" syndrome I have.

http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/P...ntelligence.htm

Spatial.

get to define virtue )

Overrated: Intelligence - there's more to life and wisdom than book smarts.

Least practiced: compassion. in every possible way.

Why?
My ideal female partner and companion in life actually exists. She is fiercly independent, sensitive, compassionate...I love how she calls me out whenever I slip into some sort of prejudice. She keeps me on my toes

I don't understand this question

structuralism

hashed browns

my beautiful blue eyes

my parents, my LGBT studies professor, and my girlfriend have all taught me such important lessons

existential

get to define virtue )

Purity
Sanity

Angela Harlem said:

Sam from Benny & Joon. Not because he is played by Johnny Depp (though that certainly helps), but because as BC summed up to perfection "everyone needs a Sam in their lives". I've been madly in love with this movie for years. Watching it will explain why.

Ok, my coworker wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas. I think I know what I'm going to ask for.

BonosSaint said:

Ok, my coworker wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas. I think I know what I'm going to ask for.

I *think* you will love it. I definitely reckon you have the potential to adore it. I get paranoid that people will hate movies I recommend! Let me know what you think if/when you see it!

Well, we got the Johnny Depp factor going for it right off.

:applaud: These threads are always so much fun to read.

1. Borrowing liberally (okay, stealing) from Mrs. S. and A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why? This is hard to answer, because I tend to prefer decidely less-than-ideal fictional characters (as do most fiction writers themselves, I'd say). So, these are maybe more "favorite" or "fondly, if bittersweetly, remembered" characters then "ideal" ones. Male character would be Reuven Malter, the protagonist of two of Chaim Potok's novels, for his capacity for wonderment, empathy, and forgiveness. Female character would be Laurel Hand from Eudora Welty's The Optimist's Daughter, for her determined self-scrutiny and ability to translate that into a healing acceptance of both her own tragedies, and the ugliness through which others reveal the scars from their own.

2. What is your worst characteristic toward others? I am not very forgiving of people who have stabbed me in the back in some way. Hot tempers I can handle, neediness I can handle, selfishness I can (mostly) handle...betrayal though, that I find very very hard to forgive.

3. What invalidates YOU the most? I assume you mean what most makes you feel invalidated? I would say implications that I'm stupid.

4. What is your potato side? French fries, home fries, baked, stuffed baked, hash browns, mashed (other) Latkes. Not the "classic" bland, greasy variety, though; I like to make them with the spices used for masala dosa, a classic Indian dish, which is a crispy, paper-thin crepe stuffed with sauteed curried potatoes.

5. Physically, what is the most expressive part of you? How? What does it express? If you choose eyes, you also have to pick one other. My mouth. I'm not very talkative in real life, but I do smirk, grin, scowl, smile, pout, gape and grimace a lot.

6. Who taught you your most valuable lesson? My parents--that you can pass through suffering too great even to talk about without losing your sense of wonder at life, other people, ideas, and nature.

I do really like Angela's answer too though.

7. Accepting the multiple intelligence school for right now, which are your highest intelligences? Naturalist and linguistic, based on Gardner's definitions. I would love to have more interpersonal and existential intelligence, but unfortunately I am neither extroverted nor profound.

8. What is the most overrated virtue? (Okay, I stole that from Vanity Fair; I thought it sounded familiar when I wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you get to define virtue) Most overrated would probably be wisdom, maybe not so much the "real" kind as the trite, glib, easily-quoted-but-seldom-lived-by sort. Least practiced...the ability to let go when it's time to (in the broadest sense).

Last edited:
Aww, thanks yolland!

I wanted to edit mine to be clearer on the point about my hands being my best way of expressing myself - I meant that I am likely to gesture wildly and whack someone, not get cranky and hit someone, as it might have implied. No, really, I'm not purposefully violent.
:shifty:

1. Who is your ideal fictional man/woman?
Why? Man would be a cross between Alan Shore and my own personal fictional ideal man that just does not exist anywhere. Alan is funny and brilliant and hates bigotry- he can be so crass and even gross sometimes, but it's all hiding so many wonderful qualities and his vulnerability underneath it all. Alan is the "dark side" of my ideal man, would be balanced by my own personal ideal.

Woman-have to really think about that one, when I was a kid/teen I think it was Jo from Little Women

High expectations

Letting others determine and dictate who I am through their actions and words

Potato chips :D

Eyes and laugh. Express what I am feeling and how I try to cope with what I am feeling

The person in my life who was the cruelest towards me and mistreated me the most, he taught me how to deal with people like that and the lesson that I can't let others determine who I am-even though thoughts about what he did invade my brain practically every day and still affect who I am. It made me a better and stronger person, but at the same time sensitive and easily broken sometimes. I learned the lesson to protect myself and to be cautious and wary, and to choose who I associate with very carefully-that I am worth that.

Well I don't know if it's even listed there but I would definitely say right away emotional intelligence. It really comes in handy but it also has its' drawbacks. But you can see through so much bs when you have EI-too bad that it sometimes fails you though and you make mistakes.

8. What is the most overrated virtue?

Being the "nice guy or woman"-because it's not always what it seems sometimes people are hiding so much behind that and think they can get away with certain behavior and because frankly sometimes you get shit on so much and taken advantage of and overlooked and humiliated if you are genuinely nice. Nice doesn't mean you should stand for that and accept it.

What is the least practiced virtue?

Hands down, it is true and genuine humility

Last edited:
1. Borrowing liberally (okay, stealing) from Mrs. S. and A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why?

man: Indiana Jones. he never, EVER gives up.
woman: Lisa Simpson (from 1991-1997 or so); the smartest, most compassionate, most soulful character on television who saw the truth behind the lies (and brilliant satire)

snap judgements. i need to stop categorizing people and thinking i understand them and their motivations (and to stop thinking that human beings are driven solely by motivations) seconds after i meet them. the world is not my anthropology project.

worrying too much about pleasing people, or, my willingness to be what someone wants me to be in order to make them feel better about something (maybe feel better about me).

sorry, kind of complicated.

4. What is your potato side? French fries, home fries, baked, stuffed baked, hash browns, mashed (other)

mashed, lots of garlic and butter and pepper.

5. Physically, what is the most expressive part of you? How? What does it express? If you choose eyes, you also have to pick one other.

well, my face gives all of my emotions away (i don't play poker) and i gesticulate with little restraint, but i'd have to say my laugh. it's very distinctive, a borderline giggle, and people who know me well know what kind of laugh (happy, sad, nervous, joyous) i am laughing in the way that you know what kind of bark your dog is barking.

hmmmm ... probably the woman who ran the office when i was an intern. she only had a high school diploma but a PhD in worldly experience and ran an amazingly tight ship. her ability to get things done, and done well, and to anticipate problems before they occur as well as find creative solutions to problems that did occur still amaze me. i was young and had spent college being very cerebral; it was a great knock back to reality to watch and learn from someone who had a towering practical intelligence.

also Memphis -- he taught me that so much of what we think of as "intelligence" is really little more than presentation.

7. There are differing schools of thought on intelligence, the predominant being general mental ability. But another school of thought deals with multiple intelligences such as naturalist, musical, logical/mathematical, existential, interpersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, intrapersonal and spatial : Accepting the multiple intelligence school for right now, which are your highest intelligences?

in no order: existential, linguistic, intrapersonal.

8. What is the most overrated virtue? (Okay, I stole that from Vanity Fair; I thought it sounded familiar when I wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you get to define virtue )

asceticism

A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why?

King Arthur—living for something bigger
than yourself, love, loyalty, confusion,
despair. “Is what I am doing right?”
Watching it all fall apart despite your
best efforts.

(And Mrs. Springsteen and I share a strong passion
for Alan Shore)

I don’t find too many wonderful
fictional women, but I like Larry
MacMurtry’s women.

I dismiss people too easily.

Being told I don’t mean what I say (I usually do)
Being told I shouldn’t feel some way (I’ll listen
if you talk to me about my behavior or even
my logic process)

Potatoes are near and dear to my heart,
but especially home fries, baked and
mashed (when I need comfort food). I don’t
like how most restaurants do baked potatoes
though. They should be crisp on the outside,
fluffy on the inside. (I’m a baked potato purist)

Eyes (most expressive for rage,
utter disdain and what the fuck?)
Generally one look will make somebody
back off.
(I took a class in the Actors’ Studio when I
was in college and I got pissed at the teacher—
I was white hot and absolutely silent.
he took one look at me and told the class—
“If you want to do anger, that’s it.” lol.)

Voice—it’s not a great voice but it is
an expressive one.

I’ve learned things from a lot of people. But I
think my best friend taught me my wisest lesson
I always used to think expressing my emotions
(other than the anger thing—see above) was
weakness. But she is so disarmingly open,
that I’ve learned how to take into consideration
what I am feeling, not just what I am thinking.
I learned there is joy as well as danger in expressing.

7. There are differing schools of thought on intelligence, the predominant being general mental ability. But another school of thought deals with multiple intelligences such as naturalist, musical, logical/mathematical, existential,
interpersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, intrapersonal and spatial : (See link for definitions.)

Linguistic, logical (without the math part, I’m
not a total disaster there, but I might as well be)

wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you get to define virtue )

Overrated: Moderation.

Least practiced: Empathy

Last edited:
Why?

For some reason, members of my staff say I remind them of the James Spader character on Boston Legal. My wife and I disagree.

Luke Skywalker. For much of my life I grew up hearing the words you are just like your biological father from my mother whenever I was bad, or did something wrong. This is a man she referred to as the devil and satan. I would say I parallel Lukes journey, for example, Luke on Dagobah goes into the tree to face his greatest fear. Strikes down Vadar and sees his face in the mask. Luke's journey to save his father, sort of follows my own, in that I think the forgiveness I offered my biological father when I was 22 years old, helped him in some way.

I would have to say the character that I enjoy watching the most right now is Earl from My Name is Earl. I love the karma concept. I obviously love Mr. Ecko from lost. I am drawn more to people who have overcome a dark past. And he in my opinion has done just that. I also like the religious nature present in his story line.

As for ideal woman...I would say Abby from ER. In a way, I would say that I feel close to this character because of her mother, Sally Field, and their relationship. It echos my own relationship with my mother. I usually do not watch any episode involving the mother until the weekend. I cannot sleep, and have terrible nightmares when these episodes air.

I would say my expectations of others is high.

I have a hard time when I feel there is a lack of belief in my abilities.

I love them in all shapes and sizes. It does not matter how they are cooked.

The comment that I hear most from parents is that my smile makes their child's day. I am known for my smile. IN the army they called me "joker" not because of my behavior, but my smile.

My father is the exam ple of unconditional love. He adopted me when I was three. He has loved me unconditionally, through all of life's bumps and bruises. When I decided to see my natural father was there supporting me. Even though he and my mother divorced, he stuck with me. I owe him the world.

Musical Intelligence - I was supposed to be a Classical Clarinetist. I attended New England Conservatory of Music through high school on weekends. I picked up my daughters recorder and pretty much played snippets U2 greatest hits on it without ever doing that before. I can do all of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

People with musical intelligence tend to be strong here, 3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence. That along with 6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”) would sum me up.

get to define virtue )

Honesty. It gets used too much as a way to hurt other people. Honesty is the least practced and most abused.

Last edited:
Why?

I think I have already found her, in reality, but strictly speaking in fictional terms, it would be.. honestly I don't really know. I'll come back to this if I come up with anything.

Oh, a great fictional person is the US president David Palmer, in 24, btw. If only he wasn't fictional..

Hmm.. the worst? Implicit condescention, I think. I don't do it often, but sometimes I can't stand the stupidity of some people.

Unresponsiveness, I could live with a negative response, but no response really agitates me.

French fries, oh yes.

My hands, probably, I use them a lot when conveying an opinion.

My father. I've learned a lot from just being around him and watching, but if I had to choose one thing.. Well, I can't.. but here are three.. Never be too sure or too full of yourself, but if you are sure of something, do not compromise on it. If you really want something, be ready to walk away from it. Never, ever lie to someone you love.

I'd say interpersonal, because I see myself as very open to dialogue and I strive to understand and consider the needs of others while making a decision. I tend to make friends easily.

get to define virtue )

I think the most over rated would be being ambition. It is certainly good to a degree, but the most ambitious tend to turn into self-observed people who are consumed by their ambition.

Least practiced would be forgiveness, humility, mixed together, repentance (not necessarily in the religious sense).

Why?

Male: Heathcliffe from Wuthering Heights (esp Laurence Olivier in the orignal film version) and Hamlet (maybe I have a thing for tortured souls!)

Female: Glinda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz (a childhood favourite!)

I think I have a tendency to be a bit of a pouter, or stew on things that upset me, instead of expressing how I feel (esp if I feel hurt or angry). Much stomping around and slamming doors ensues. Doesn’t happen very often though. I can be pretty good with the old silent treatment.

I’m not sure?!? If it makes any sense, I don’t begrudge anyone their happiness and get excited for people when good things happen and come their way. I love the share the joy! So for me, any trace of envy or jealously or ill will or being unsupportive is a complete turnoff.

Mashed .. with lots a pepper

I’ve been told I’ve got a lovely speaking-voice a few times. And my smile/laughter (I’m not called giggles for nothing!) A couple of people have said I’ve got a gentle spirit, so I think that’s probably conveyed in the above attributes!

Oh, it probably sounds corny, but I think every experience and person that comes into your life has a message for you or something to teach you, whether it’s good or bad.

I think a mixture of Spatial, (mental imagery ..active imagination ..daydreaming :wink:) Musical & Interpersonal

get to define virtue )

Well, I know for certain that I don’t practice Prudence very much, especially when it comes to money. I’m just way too impulsive as well, it’s a bit of a foreign concept to me!

Least practiced? SILENCE is golden

1. Borrowing liberally (okay, stealing) from Mrs. S. and A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why? Aiden from Sex and The City - i love his whole not afraid to talk about love, his strength, the way he works with his hands, and that he loves the country like me! :D

Annoyance. People annoy the fuck out of me so easily. I often need to chill out when people do stupid things because it affects me too much (im working on it)

3. What invalidates YOU the most? People thinking they know what i'm thinking, or that they know me. ASSUMING. ARGH!

4. What is your potato side? French fries, home fries, baked, stuffed baked, hash browns, mashed (other)
i love mased potatoes and hash browns. oh yum!

5. Physically, what is the most expressive part of you? How? What does it express?
My body and my voice. I am constantly moving, tapping things, dancing, spinning around, bouncing up and down, and act out stories or imformation to people. I also talk and laugh a lot, and when i don't people always think something is wrong (probably another thing that annoys me about people that i can't have "down times")

6. Who taught you your most valuable lesson? Myself when i was 12. I missed out on doing something fun with friends because I was out with my mum and the REGRET i felt was acute, I was in pain and despair for days afterwards, hearing of all the fun my friends had and what i missed out on. I felt so horribleand sad and for what? Nothing that I could ever change it was all in the past. I decided i would never make myself feel like that again and never regret anything in life (everything happens for a reason) so far its worked pretty well!

7. Accepting the multiple intelligence school for right now, which are your highest intelligences? For the record i TOTALLY believe in multiple intelligences, and we focussed very heavily on these intelligences this year at uni. I am a cross between spatial, liguistic and naturalist. Absolutely perfect cross section.

8. What is the most overrated virtue? (Okay, I stole that from Vanity Fair; I thought it sounded familiar when I wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you get to define virtue) Overrated: successfulness

least practiced: not living with regret - letting go of stuff in the past/moving on.

1) who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why?

We empathise with relatable characters; Wesley Wyndam-Price, Greg House, Alan Grant.

Smart and emotionally detatched, the way to be :up:

I can isolate people pretty well, but I think thats a good characteristic.

Being wrong

Mash

The whole package

There isn't one lesson that makes a man, it's cumulative experience.

7. Intelligence type?

Logical (with the sin of using inductive reasoning at times), high capacity for categorisation, verbally adept. I would like to think that I can be interdisciplinary in having a lot of knowledge across a lot of different fields and can communicate my ideas and concepts effectively to a variety of audiences.

8. What is the most overrated virtue?

Faith; an acceptance of limitation at best or pride in ignorance at worst.

Last edited:
Thank you SO MUCH for starting this thread. I LOVE these! :D

1. Borrowing liberally (okay, stealing) from Mrs. S. and A_Wanderer, who is your ideal fictional man/woman? Why?

Hmm, well for woman, ideal in the sense of heroic, and somone I strive to be like, would be Sailor Moon. She is such an incredible character because she is all heart. She loved her friends and even her "enemies". All her attacks involved hearts or kisses or something. She stood for love and justice :)
For men, in terms of an ideal mate...I'd say Darkwing Duck. I'm serious. There isn't one thing that is unattractive about this guy...erm...duck. LOVE his character! He is a superhero of course, which makes him even sexier.

Perhaps my honesty. Some people aren't quite used to it. I don't like it when people try to play games with me, and I call them out on it.

I really hate depricating humor. There is no need to make fun of me, or make me feel like less than a person. I'm very sensitive to people saying that I am stupid.

you left out tots!!!!! tater tots are one of my favorite foods in the world :drool:

5. Physically, what is the most expressive part of you? How? What does it express? If you choose eyes,

Hmm...probably my entire face. I'm terrible at lying, and people can immediately know what I am feeling by looking at me. It is a very expressive face. It is hard for me to hide anything behind it!!!

I think I'd have to say Kip. He was a mentor of mine. Very wise and fun loving. He taught me that above all else, it is most important to be centered, have faith, and to love people. All he ever did was love people. I wanna be just like him.

7. There are differing schools of thought on intelligence, the predominant being general mental ability. But another school of thought deals with multiple intelligences such as naturalist, musical, logical/mathematical, existential, interpersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, intrapersonal and spatial : (See link for definitions.)
http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/P...ntelligence.htm Accepting the multiple intelligence school for right now, which are your highest intelligences?

definitely interpersonal. i have a gift of relating to people, especially those who are often rejected by society. i'm an effective communicator, and i'm great at managing conflicts. i can adjust myself to meet the needs of every single one of my students.

8. What is the most overrated virtue? (Okay, I stole that from Vanity Fair; I thought it sounded familiar when I wrote it down) What is the least practiced virtue? (PS, you get to define virtue )

overrated: righteousness. not that i'm saying that people are all high and mighty and believe they are truly right...but i feel like there are loads of people who closedminded. i think too much self righteousness is what distances people from one another, and breeds misunderstanding and hatred.

least practiced: purposefullness. too often i see my colleagues just kinda floating on with their lives. they are in and out of miserable relationships and jobs. i think if they felt more of a purpose to what they were doing, they'd stop repeating the same mistakes and stop finding themselves lost in life and confused.

Back
Top Bottom