BREAKING NEWS. . .Rehnquist Resigns?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pax said:
You actually think that's what he meant?

Yes, I think that's what he meant. I think Irvine does think that abortion doesn't matter at all. I base that not only on the clear way he worded it in this thread, but on conversations we've shared in the past.

It'd be nice if the new candidate was anti-abortion but liberal on other issues.

But it doesn't work like that I suppose.

80sU2isBest said:

That's not true. Just last month somone said that abortions are sometimes "very good things".

:sigh: What I SAID was, "everyone would RATHER that abortions NEVER HAD TO HAPPEN." But maybe, in some cases, the life and health of the mother are best served by not carrying a pregnancy to term. I worry very much about young girls--and even grown women--who could be abused, disowned, or abandoned by their mates or families if they carried a pregnancy to term. I worry about women who've been raped or are the victims of incest. I even worry about women who've become pregnant accidentally and simply can't face a pregnancy under the economic or environmental circumstances.

I'm sad for those women. I wish abortions never happened. But I can't say I would force them to continue those pregnancies, either. It's not up to me. And it shouldn't be.

80sU2isBest said:

Yes, I think that's what he meant. I think Irvine does think that abortion doesn't matter at all. I base that not only on the clear way he worded it in this thread, but on conversations we've shared in the past.

:|

pax said:

That smilie is similar to the look I get on my face when people who actually start the arguments get a free pass while the people who are simply responding are scolded.

financeguy said:
It'd be nice if the new candidate was anti-abortion but liberal on other issues.

But it doesn't work like that I suppose.

Of course not. That would be too moderate, and moderates are nothing more than wishy-washy pinko commies that hate God. So let's bring out the flat-earth creationists!

Melon

80sU2isBest said:

Then you should write what you mean.

oh come off it.

this is a forum where people write things quickly, and for you to harp on a possible omission of a detail (that, btw, was perfectly obvious to everyone else reading) reveals the weakness of your argument, if this is the point you're going to choose to argue over.

also, i really think you should spend a few moments in the life of a 14 year old pregnant girl before you start hurling stones and shreiking "baby killer!!!"

i'm not saying this would change your mind, but it might help you see things in a less black-and-white manner.

Irvine511 said:

oh come off it.

this is a forum where people write things quickly, and for you to harp on a possible omission of a detail (that, btw, was perfectly obvious to everyone else reading) reveals the weakness of your argument, if this is the point you're going to choose to argue over.

also, i really think you should spend a few moments in the life of a 14 year old pregnant girl before you start hurling stones and shreiking "baby killer!!!"

i'm not saying this would change your mind, but it might help you see things in a less black-and-white manner.

YOU come off it, Irvine. Am I supposed to somehow read your mind to determine that abortion does actually matter to you, when nothing you have written to me previously would lead me to that conclusion? Have you never heard of precedent?

I've never shrieked "baby killer".

And while I've never been a 14 year old pregnant girl, I have been the 22 year old unemployed father of a baby that died when he was 8 hours old, so I'm not exactly clueless on the whole "crisis pregnancy" issue.

Last edited:
melon said:

Of course not. That would be too moderate, and moderates are nothing more than wishy-washy pinko commies that hate God. So let's bring out the flat-earth creationists!

Melon

That's not exactly my view, melon.

If I had the choice between the following 2 candidates:

A: Democrat, pro-life, supports gay marriage
B: Repoublican, pro-choice, against gay marriage

I'd vote for A in a heartbeat. That's how important the abortion issue is to me.

80sU2isBest said:
That's not exactly my view, melon.

If I had the choice between the following 2 candidates:

A: Democrat, pro-life, supports gay marriage
B: Repoublican, pro-choice, against gay marriage

I'd vote for A in a heartbeat. That's how important the abortion issue is to me.

I understand that, and I do know that, while there is a difference in opinion in America, there are reasonable people on both sides of the abortion argument. So why does it seem that Bush only appoints the most hysterical of pro-life people? That's my beef.

Melon

melon said:
So why does it seem that Bush only appoints the most hysterical of pro-life people? That's my beef.

Melon

The 'nothing to the right' strategy. The problem is once you set yourself up as the Christian conservative candidate you can't afford to be out-flanked by someone more 'theogically sound'.

80sU2isBest said:

YOU come off it, Irvine. Am I supposed to somehow read your mind to determine that abortion does actually matter to you, when nothing you have written to me previously would lead me to that conclusion? Have you never heard of precedent?

And while I've never been a 14 year old pregnant girl, I have been the 22 year old unemployed father of a baby that died when he was 8 hours old, so I'm not exactly clueless on the whole "crisis pregnancy" issue.

i have heard of reading closely. that's something you should try to do -- though i understand that nuance is often lost on people with such extreme views on this particular issue.

and just read your posts -- you are very, very shrill on this subject.

i also don't see what your very unfortunate situation has to do with abortion. i am very sorry for your loss, but i don't see how it applies to this particular situation.

i am also getting frustrated that, no matter to what ends i go to further explicate my thoughts, they get continually cast into the most convenient light for you or others who disagree with me. this happens frequently in gay issue debates, and i've gotten to the point where i'm tagging so many adjectives onto my posts that it's getting silly.

abortion, in my opinion, is an issue that shrinks in importance when compared to all of the issues i listed in my earlier post.

abortion also does not affect me directly, so i would find it arrogant of me to have such a strong opinion (in fact, i find it arrogant that any man would vote simply on the basis of that issue as it centers around a woman's ability to determine what is and what is not inside her uterus).

i've explicated my own opinion on the subject so many times -- i don't feel as if science can definitively say whether or not fetal life is equivalent to a breathing baby, so i leave the decision in the hands of the woman and she will deal with the consequences ... i believe that women are smart enough to be able to make their own decisions. i also think that the only way for women to empower themselves economically -- which is the key to getting out of poverty -- is for them to remain in control of when they get pregnant. so, i remain vehemently opposed to the outlawing of abortion, however i do not feel qualified to pass a moral judgement on the issue. i simply don't know, so i leave that up to the individual.

hence, it's simply not that important to me. i am much more concerned about the state of our education system and the pending ascention of China than about abortion. i understand that these issues are less emotional than abortion, and provide much less of an opportunity to feel that intoxicating rush of self-righteousness, but it's more important.

much more.

and while the religous working classes vote solely on pro-life/anti-choice positions, the Republicans of Rancho Santa Fe and Greenwich, CT take your votes and translate them into tax cuts for the rich and decreased funding for schools and social services for the working classes.

politically brilliant, don't you think?

abortion is still legal, and will likely remain so, but the rich are getting richer and richer and richer ... again, off the backs of the lower classes.

starsforu2 said:
:lol: Just for the record... what are you? Politically speaking. Having read a lot of what you written, I'd like to know what you consider yourself....

I consider myself a center left-leaning independent these days. I used to consider myself a Democrat, and when I'm forced to choose at the ballot box, I still vote it; but I've spent too many of the past election cycles frustrated by the party for either being spineless or Republican-lite or, these days, hysterical.

I'm glad that Democrats these days are more apt to stand up for themselves than prior to 2004, but I still don't think they're an effective opposition party. They should be coming up with alternative bills and plans, and then publicize the hell out of them.

No, the only peeps we seem to get these days are when Howard Dean shoots his mouth off. I like the guy, but I think he's falling into that name-calling syndrome that I think is immature. On the other hand, he's not running for office and name-calling seems to generate fundraising, which is his job. I know that Republicans certainly love to smear Democrats during fundraisers, so perhaps that's just life in politics. Dean aside, however, where's the Democrats when it comes to creating policy? That's where they're painfully silent, and I think that's a problem.

Melon

80sU2isBest said:

i see you edited where you said you never "called" anyone baby killer

shriek, call, infer, lable

is there a difference?

80sU2isBest said:

what would you like prolifers to do, not mention that we think that abortion is killing babies?

Irvine511 said:

i also don't see what your very unfortunate situation has to do with abortion. i am very sorry for your loss, but i don't see how it applies to this particular situation.

Crisis pregnancy...unemployed..

My point was that I have been in a situation where, to the world, an abortion would be a plausible resolution. So, I know a little bit about facing parenthood that wasn't planned.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the scientific view on this. Are we saying human life begins at conception? I believe that the foetus deserves the benefit of the doubt, but that's just my opinion.

Using phrases like 'baby-killer' is unlikely to win support for the anti-abortion cause for those in the middle.

deep said:

i see you edited where you said you never "called" anyone baby killer

I edited it simply to address specifically what I was accused of - "shrieking".

I have never called anyone a baby killer.

If I did make a habit of calling anyone a "baby killer", it wouldn't be the mother I would call the baby killer.

financeguy said:
I'm interested in the scientific view on this. Are we saying human life begins at conception? I believe that the foetus deserves the benefit of the doubt, but that's just my opinion.

Using phrases like 'baby-killer' is unlikely to win support for the anti-abortion cause for those in the middle.

I understand what you are saying, and some may take the sentence "abortion is murder" as offensive. But if people believe that abortion is murder, shouldn't that be the tactic they use to try and stop abortion? Would a simple "Abortion is bad", or "Abortion is not nice" ever work?

I think what should happen is that every abortion protestor should carry around an in-depth fetal development timeline, complete with sonogram photos. Then, when they tell a young girl in a crisis pregnancy that abortion is murder, they can show her the timeline to further reinforce their claim.

deep said:

so if a woman walks in and pays for this she has no reponsibility for what you call "killing babies".

Certainly she bears some responsibility.

However, teenage girls don't usually have all the info, and probably don't realize the extent of what they are doing. All they can see is that they are going to have a baby and that will be very hard on them.

Doctors, however, know full well that the fetus is a developing human being. They know full well that the heart starts beating after just a few weeks. They know.

It has been a while since my public education on reproduction

but,

I believe is causes an egg that a sperm has penetrated from becoming implanted or remaining in the uterus wall.

wow, this discussion has escalated

Heres one other thing to consider
The lifelong scars the mother who has aborted her child has to carry
I cant imagine aborting my baby and not thinking about it every day. Wondering who they would have become if I had given it up for adoption or kept it.
I just cant fathom what a woman who has done this deals with on a day to day basis

Ive used the morning after pill before...

Question (for the pro-lifers)-

A woman in her late twenties, with a long family history of depression/alcoholism. Is recently coming out of living in a homeless shelter for 2 years, has a job she enjoys, nice apt, still struggling but getting her life back together. Has no health insurance. Due to her family history, she has known her whole life, she never wanted to give birth to a child, or get married.

Is in a monogamous long term relationship, has been on birth control for 5 years, and yet STILL becomes pregnant.

What is she supposed to do in this situation?

imo? give it to somebody who wants it

Sparkysgrrrl said:
Question (for the pro-lifers)-

A woman in her late twenties, with a long family history of depression/alcoholism. Is recently coming out of living in a homeless shelter for 2 years, has a job she enjoys, nice apt, still struggling but getting her life back together. Has no health insurance. Due to her family history, she has known her whole life, she never wanted to give birth to a child, or get married.

Is in a monogamous long term relationship, has been on birth control for 5 years, and yet STILL becomes pregnant.

What is she supposed to do in this situation?

Back
Top Bottom