Break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
1. What character in song, book, movie, or tv show do you
most identify with?
2. What difference do you notice between the men and women
on this forum?
3. If you were absolutely forbidden upon pain of death to discuss
politics, religion, sports or sexuality, what would you talk
about?
4. How often do you dream vividly?
5. How do you control your demons, your dark side?
6. What is your guilty pleasure?

Last edited:
1. At this very moment - the man in "Dreaming with Tears in My Eyes".

2. For the most part the women are much more empathetic.

3. I guess music...but now how could you talk about music without sex or politics.:hmm:

4. All the time, sometimes I'm confused as to which is reality and which is not.:wink:

5. I don't :macdevil: Seriously though the best way for me is to put that part of me in song or painting. That's why most of my stuff is somewhat dark.

Wow this is pretty deep.....

1. Songs - I can identify with most U2 and possibly Creed songs - really don't watch much tv but could probably identify with Grace (Will & Grace) or Rachel (Friends)

2. The people on the forum are so diverse which is why I like to read the various threads...we're either on the same page or we're completely off target - but I like that.

3. I'd probably discuss politics, religion, sports or sexuality even if it were forbidden...I mean that's everyday life isn't it?

4. I dream vividly often - 3-4 times a week

5. I really don't have a dark side...really

BonosSaint said:
most identify with?

don't have one
BonosSaint said:
on this forum?
women are mostly more polite and less petty

BonosSaint said:
about?

see lemonade stand

BonosSaint said:

rarely,
seems to be diet related or sleeping position related

BonosSaint said:

I think before acting

BonosSaint said:

i no longer believe in guilt
i am well aquatinted with pleasure

1. What character in song, book, movie, or tv show do you most identify with?

my song is bad, always has been, always will be. not sure if that counts as identifying with a character per se, though...

maybe jane eyre, for going to all necessary lengths to maintain her dignity and for refusing to compromise her ideals for the sake of a man she truly loved.

or maybe miranda on sex and the city, for being a witty, cynical, and independent woman, and successful lawyer. :wink:

2. What difference do you notice between the men and women on this forum?

the women seem to be, for the most part, more empathetic and diplomatic, and less likely to engage in petty ego squabbles. for the most part, though, i think we've got a pretty good balance in here.

3. If you were absolutely forbidden upon pain of death to discuss politics, religion, sports or sexuality, what would you talk about?

books, music, travel, food... although i agree with BVS, the lines are often blurred.

quite regularly, when i actually can sleep (insomnia :mad: ). unfortunately most of my dreams are not of the pleasant kind.

i write, get lost in my favourite music, go for a long walk by myself along the river, find myself a volunteer project to channel the negative energy into. sometimes i let my demons roam free in my mind as well, because they can be interesting characters.

i'm not sure any of my pleasures are guilty. life's too short to feel guilty about taking pleasure in something you truly enjoy.

1. Solari from Amadeus--always almost good enough, but always
having that one person ahead of me I cannot touch.
2. A lot of the men seem to identify strongly with and by their positions. Most of the women may hold strong opinions, but don't identify themselves by their positions. I think there is more
give and take among the women, in general (always the exceptions, however.) The men post references to fortify their position; the women post references to open them to discussion.
The men provide more detailed factual analysis. The humor is about equal. Both sexes have equal bite.
3. I had a lot of trouble with this question myself--the lines are
often blurred.
4. I dream vividly rarely, but when I do they are amazingly vivid,
usually provoked by some image or thought that occurred during the day.
5. I love Dandy's answer on the dark side. Sometimes the darkest thoughts are the most interesting. I cherish a lot of my dark side. But if I feel compelled to act on those demons, I wait 24 hours. Usually the compulsion to act goes away, but the demons remain. If the demons are too painful, I distract myself--usually through music--dark music. It's always comforting to know other people share my demons.
6. James Spader on Boston Legal. It's the only regular tv show I watch.

most identify with? any one who gets their heart broken on a fairly regular basis and beats themselves up to much, makes a fool of themselves, loses out to someone else, thinks about and analyzes things too much..I can't think of one

on this forum?

You mean in FYM? in general the women here are more friendly towards me. I don't mean that as an insult towards anyone, that's how I feel..probably I'm just paranoid

about? art, dogs, movies

depends upon what state my mind and emotions are in, usually probably 3-4 times a month.

5. How do you control your demons, your dark side? by telling myself I will end up hurt

6. What is your guilty pleasure? the internet and potato chips (I love that James Spader answer, but I see nothing to feel guilty about over that one :D )

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:
most identify with?
on this forum?
about?

1. Luke Skywalker - I was adopted, raised by a wonderful man, mother taught me my natural father was the most evil man on the planet and when I was a naughty boy, was told I was just like him, I had to confront it.

2. There are very few conservative women.

3. I would want to talk about books....

4. Nightly vivid dreams.....some I have had since I was a child.

5. Many times I need a quiet space, all by myself. And prayer.

6. That is an easy one.....Mrs. Springsteen can answer for me...and we have never met

:wink:

----------------
Added

I have so many guilty pleasures...:ohmy:

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:

6. James Spader on Boston Legal

lol, I just started to read the paper and he's in it

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/09/18/delayed_gratification/?page=full

if you can't read it it's free to create an account there

the pictures are nice too :drool:

in case you don't see this one there

1126810618_5360.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! An early guilty pleasure. Great picture. Now if you'll excuse me---runs to link.

15 minutes later. I'm back. Really enjoyed that article. I liked it better than the Playboy article:shifty: Much cheaper too. Thanks again.

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:
most identify with?
on this forum?
about?

1. hard to come up with a single answer, but usually characters who struggle with doing what they ought to do with what they want to do -- lots of Bono's lyrics deal with this ("you've got to do what you should"), a literary character would be Jack Burden from _All the King's Men_.

2. pretty much what Bono's Saint said -- for men, their identity is their ideology, and there feels to be much more at stake when they post (totally guilty as charged).

3. art, movies, travel ... yet, i don't know how you could talk about anything without any of those subjects coming up.

4. often. sometimes my dreams are ultra-literal, and i don't have recurring dreams, as such, but recurring locations. lots of dreams about dark water and ice for some reason ...

5. several different ways. i'm not prone to depression, but i am to anxiety, and i deal with this through a constant intellectual battle with my emotions -- it's a challenge to maintain perspective and remind myself that the weight of the world hasn't been placed on my shoulders. deep breaths, good food with friends, the occasional herbal refreshment which is cheaper and has less side effects than anything a doctor could perscribe and does wonders to alleviate anxiety.

6. i get a spectacularly trashy gossipy weekly email newsletter called POPBITCH. sooooo fun.

No fair, 6 was added after I replied.

My guilty pleasure an American Spirit every once in awhile. And I stress every once in awhile.:shifty:

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
No fair, 6 was added before I replied.

My guilty pleasure an American Spirit every once in awhile. And I stress every once in awhile.:shifty:

Sorry. I was editing while you were posting.:shifty:

BonosSaint said:
most identify with?
on this forum?
about?

1. Dana Scully, The X-Files, and the various "everygals" of Sex adn the City

2. Mmmm....I honestly can't say that I do notice one. I don't think men or women here are more or less likely to get in a huff, or support/not support the war, or so on. :shrug:

3. music, philosophy (so I could sneek in some God and politics) and literature, also my friends lives...you know, catching up, how they are, etc

4. At least several times a week

5. Music--especially live--is the best I know of and dancing my arse off. Writing or talking with a good friend or taking a long walk. Yelling at God. Praying. Playing with my cat. Drinking, sometimes. :reject:

6. anything that involves cholocate, and men with accents :drool:

most identify with? Josh Lyman-The West Wing

on this forum? There are vastly more conservative males than females

about? Music

4. How often do you dream vividly? Almost every night...Last night I had a dream about Joe Biden as a leprechaun.........:coocoo: My friends are convinced i'm on something because of all the crazy dreams I have :lol:

5. How do you control your demons, your dark side? I put on some good tunes and gel.

6. What is your guilty pleasure? good ol' fashioned Bluegrass music. :shrug:

Did you see him on the Emmy's Bonos Saint?

I've never read that Playboy article, is that online anywhere? I'm sure if I Googled it I could find it

he is fascinating..sorry for interrupting your thread :wink: one day I have to rent Secretary :shifty:

1. Dr. Dolittle.

2. Not much difference but there are a couple of men I consider bullies.

3. My pets.

4. Almost always.

5. This is difficult for me but I usually try to concentrate on something else positive.

6. Eating sweets.

1. Well, I don't really know, but perhaps the heroine of my all-time favorite set of novels: Claire of the Outlander series written by Diana Gabaldon. Mainly because I feel stuck between worlds and times as she literally is, what with my childhood as a missionary kid and my adulthood turning into a global wanderer.

2. The difference between the men and women of FYM...hmm. I think I would tend to agree with what has been observed already. The men tend to take a position and defend it to the death, no matter how they might run roughshod over someone else, whereas the women seem a bit more willing to see the other side even if they don't agree with it. There are certainly exceptions though, so it can't be a hard and fast rule.

3. If I couldn't discuss the afore-mentioned topics, I would talk about cooking, travel, languages, culture, books and music.

4. Lately I have been having very vivid dreams quite often. (see my dream thread from a few weeks back) However, I haven't had any repeats of that Irvine, Jude Law dream...more's the pity. :sexywink:

5. You can't control the dark side.

6. Guilty pleasures would include trashy paperback romance novels and chocolate. Both lacking in substance but serve quite nicely as candy. And oddly enough they go well together.

1. None
2. I haven’t drawn any broad based patterns based on gender.
3. Children & family, music, photography
4. Most nights
5. Prayer
6. Computer games

BonosSaint said:
most identify with?
on this forum?
about?

1.) Jane Eyre of Jane Eyre. What an amazing character! Pulls herself up out of orphanhood and poverty not once, but twice, and forces men to deal with her totally on her own terms as an educated, independent woman. In pre-Victorian England, no less.

2.) I don't really notice one. We have formidable characters on both side of the gender divide.

3.) Books, film, music, jokes, travel...there are lots of available topics. :)

4.) I'm told that people dream every single night, but if I remember one dream a week, that's pretty good for me.

5.) Prayer, sleep, regular vent-fests to Ewen and my mom.

6.) Fried chicken and chick flicks. :reject:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Did you see him on the Emmy's Bonos Saint?

I've never read that Playboy article, is that online anywhere? I'm sure if I Googled it I could find it

he is fascinating..sorry for interrupting your thread :wink: one day I have to rent Secretary :shifty:

Glad he won. Got to see him twice so it was worth watching. But other than that bizarre little Star Trek the show was pretty boring.

PS I bought the Playboy so don't know if it's available on line.
And feel free to interrupt this thread (or any thread of mine for that matter) for Spader.

1. What character in song, book, movie, or tv show do you most identify with?

For some reason the only thing I can think of right now is the Shin's song, Saint Simon. It's weird that I can't think of a single person from a book or movie that I really relate to.

2. What difference do you notice between the men and women on this forum?

The ladies seem more polite and diplomatic on religious topics sometimes. As a whole, I think more women are what I'd call "liberals" than men, on this board.

3. If you were absolutely forbidden upon pain of death to discuss politics, religion, sports or sexuality, what would you talk about?

Music I guess. My dog. He's really cute. I don't know.

Not very often. When I do, it's usually very twisted. A few nights ago, I dreamed I cut someone's head off. Very scary. Not exactly the dreams you want to share with your friends (they'll think you're a sociopath.) :wink:

I don't know, I guess I can sometimes have an arrogant side when discussing politics/religion with my friends from conservative families. (the two things you're not supposed to discuss with your friends!) I just remind myself not to be an asshole and move on. I don't know if that's really answering the question.

6. What is your guilty pleasure? Umm...chocolate. VH1's Fabulous Life of series. etc.

A while ago on the net, they had presented a scenario:

A woman goes to her mother's funeral. She meets a man she has never met before at the funeral. He leaves before she can talk to him, find out who he is, get his phone number. Several months later, she kills her sister. Why?

There are no wrong answers here. But there is psychological interpretation to some answers. What is your answer?

Back
Top Bottom