born on this day.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
St. Augustine of Hippo was born on this day in 354. He was arguably the most influential thinker of the early Middle Ages. His mother was a Christian and his father was a pagan. He embraced a religion called Manicheanism before he became a Christian. There is a famous quote from this period of his life: "Give me chastity, but not yet". He was baptized by St. Ambrose on Easter Sunday of 387, and he became a monk. He later became a priest and was elevated to the bishopric of Hippo, near the ancient city of Carthage, some years later. Because of him, early medieval thought was Platonic in nature. He wrote several works for the instruction of his flock, including a reaction to the accusations that Christianity had brought on the barbarian invasions that rocked the Empire during his life. For better or worse, he's a pivotal character in European and world history.

I really like to read Augustine's works. I read some of "The City of God" during the election campaign to get my mind off of politics. That was nice.

Back
Top Bottom