Bono's silence is strange and disappointing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the best part of the Oprah interview was when Mr Bono said...
.."lookey here, Im NOT some wingin LIBERAL ya know"...... :angry:

In my mind's eye I saw many of my left minded friends from think tanks such as-

-The International Left Front
-Tree Huggers Annonomous
-Over Reactionary Drama Queens

cringe .:mad:

This brought me great joy as Oprah sat there, mesmerized.:sexywink:

I dont think anybody should attempt to typecast Bono, because frankly you cannot.

DB9
:dance:[

Last edited:
FizzingWhizzbees said:

There's always going to be an extent to which those of us who are anti-war just assume he's on our side, just as the pro-war lobby are going to find reasons to paint him as a hawk.

I beg do disagree. I have seen NO HAWK say Bono is on their side.

I believe Martha once started a thread about what we conservatives would say on issues with Bono in the room. I believe Bono, who is politically savy, is not going to judge or walk away from someone with a different opinion(within reason).

In my heart, I believe Bono has his own opinions, as I do mine. Does he have influence over me with hisopnions? Yes, I honestly believe he does. I will sit down and read about something that Bono speaks out on. It does not mean that I agree with him. I may very well, disagree even more.

AS I said earlier, he is a man, a HUMAN, and so are we. We all have opinions, right or wrong. Let up on him already. He does not walk on water.

PEACE

STING2 said:
I'm sure Bono does think that war is a last resort and an unattractive alternative, but that it is sometimes necessary. Thats how I feel as well as does the Bush Administration. The question is when, is it the last resort at this point? Many people and the Bush administration feel that point has been reached while others do not.

If Bono has concluded that that point has not been reached yet, that just fine. Same though if he feels a military intervention of Iraq is needed now.

STING Im not going to discuss your timetable because you have been pushing for an invasion of Iraq for as long as I can remember, even while millions of others around the world ask for more time for due process.

But as for Bono, given that he was so willing to voice his opinion on the Afghanistan issue and in a few places, once all the facts and evidence were before him,I'm assuming that he isn't making a statement of support at this time because thus far there is a blatant lack of facts and evidence to support the conclusion that the last resort point has been reached.

Millions others feel the same way.

SOOO back to the original topic of this thread...

I don't personally find Bono's silence "strange" or "disappointing" at all.

I find it telling, in that, as another poster has pointed out, he realizes that there are far greater threats to human life on this planet than Iraq right now...like AIDS in Africa and so has chosen to concentrate on bringing that to the forefront.

After all, who will if he doesn't? CNN? Fox News? :barf:

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
"STING2, in your opinion, how does one work toward becoming a pacifist?"

STING2 said:
Pub,

By being diplomatic and avoiding resorting to options that might include violence unless its absolutely necessary.
STING2, the ways in which I strive to be a pacifist are as follows:

1) I don't support war of any kind.

2) I never support bombing a country, and I am deeply troubled when I have the knowledge innocents might be killed due to a boming such as the apparently imminent U.S.-planned bombing of Iraq.

3) In instances of genocide, I might support a military intervention. In the case of the Rwandan genocide of 1994, I would have supported military intervention because every day during that holocaust several thousand innocent people were literally butchered with machetes. Rwandan children watched their parents being chopped to pieces, only to then be murdered themselves. And we, the free world, watched all this happen and did nothing.

Even in Rwanda, though, I would only have supported a very limited use of force via ground troops -- no indiscriminant bombing. Canadian Gen. Dalliare was in charge of U.N. forces in Rwanda at the time. He asked for 5,000 troops -- he said he could quell the massacres within days with that number of troops. He didn't get his troops. I believe he should have. I believe we should have gone in and jailed the "genocidaires," as they were called. I DON'T think we should have gone in and indiscriminately blown them away with artillery. We would have been stooping to their level of barbarism. We should only have used the force necessary to stop the senseless murders.

My point being that, in my opinion, Rwanda was a very clear case where military intervention was needed. But even so, the question of how much force is a dilemma for a pacifistic person such as myself.

All that said, let's re-examine your answer to the question I asked, i.e., How does one works toward becoming a pacifist?

Your answer: "By being diplomatic and avoiding resorting to options that might include violence unless its absolutely necessary."

STING2, my difficulty with your answer is that it is absolutely ambiguous.

Question: What does it mean to be "diplomatic?"

Question: When is violence absolutely necessary?

Frankly, with your history of hawkish posting, I am astonished by your admission that you are striving to be a pacifist. That is why I am so curious about your statements about pacifism.

Here's the issue: If you're going to stick with the definition of pacifism you've given, then by that definition you're free to behave in any manner you so choose and you can still define yourself as a pacifist.

I'd be interested to hear what specifically makes you a person who is striving to be a pacifist.

gabrielvox said:

I find it telling, in that, as another poster has pointed out, he realizes that there are far greater threats to human life on this planet than Iraq right now...
Right now the people in Iraq are in great danger of being attacked,is it a less threat to human life? Of course that doesn't diminish Africa's troubles,but how can you possibly care about one
and completely ignore the other? There're the same children in
Iraq as in Africa.

Btw,Follower,thanks for the link on the first page.

Last edited:
To all,

Here is the bottom line. Bono has not said anything publicly about this war. You can interpret that fact any way you want.

My view, however, is that his silence says something. It says that he is certainly not against it enough to lobby politicians, governments, and people to stop it, when you know he could if he wanted to.

As Sting2 quoted him, Bono is not a pacifist and does see situations where you have to be aggressive in order to protect your people and way of life. I see this as being a situation where bombing Iraq protects our way of life from someone who clearly hates us.

AJ

Actually, Bono is affiliated with at least one group that has an anti-war position, and that's Oxfam. I should know, I've been circulating an Oxfam anti-war petition on the Internet. I wore an Oxfam t-shirt to the demonstration yesterday. Perhaps he just wants Oxfam to be the messenger without him necessarily being a fellow messenger. Sometimes it pays to be subtle rather than explicit. Shakespeare said that discretion was the better part of valor, and I think he was right.

Hawk269 said:

My view, however, is that his silence says something. It says that he is certainly not against it enough to lobby politicians, governments, and people to stop it, when you know he could if he wanted to.
AJ

You assume two things.

1. That his silence is implicit approval for the actions of the US.

2. That his lobbying could somehow stop our president from going to war.

Both of these assumptions tell more about you than they do about a pop star who hasn't said a word either way.

I've never even wondered for a moment what Bono thinks of the Iraq situation or thought it odd that he hasn't spoken out about it. I love him and the band but I guess I just don't spend a lot of time wondering what they think about everything. It's really his business when and why he chooses to voice a political opinion.

joyfulgirl said:
I've never even wondered for a moment what Bono thinks of the Iraq situation or thought it odd that he hasn't spoken out about it. I love him and the band but I guess I just don't spend a lot of time wondering what they think about everything. It's really his business when and why he chooses to voice a political opinion.

Yes. Now we know why he isn't interested in political office. He's a singer not a professional politician.

diamond said:

In my mind's eye I saw many of my left minded friends from think tanks such as-

-The International Left Front
-Tree Huggers Annonomous
-Over Reactionary Drama Queens

First off, it is "anonymous." Second, "Front" usually is a word that extreme-right groups will call themselves. Third, "reactionary" is a term for conservatives. If you are talking about the extreme left, use the word "radical." Fourth, you really didn't have to say "drama queens." :|

I think you've been perfectly over-dramatic yourself, Mr. Diamond...

Melon

:shrug:

I don't know. If he wants to speak out, he will. If he doesn't, he won't.
Would him going either way change the way you feel about this?

Personally I wouldn't be so sure that him being quiet necessarily means he supports the attack on Iraq, but that's just me.

Pub Crawler,

My statement was in reference to many things including my personal life, yes a very general statement. You seem to have a very narrow focus on what being a pacifist or being a peaceful person means. I'll be the first to tell you that I am not a Pacifist. I defend the use of USA military force in every single war the USA has ever fought in because I believe it was just and necessary. I think the USA should of acted in Rawanda, but after Somalia, there was almost no political support in the USA to take action.

I don't think you are a Pacifist because you support military intervention in the Rawanda situation. A Pacifist is one who advocates pacifism. Pacifism is opposition to ALL war and armed hostility. But everyone is free to define where they stand, but the dictionary definition of a Pacifist is one that is opposed to all war no matter what the situation is.

martha said:

No matter how much you fuss about it, he ain't gonna say anything just to keep you happy.

I'd be obliged if you didn't refer to something that,for this or that
reason,has been of special importance to me as "fuss".
Thanks.

You're probably aware that Bono is scheduled to be interviewed in NYC next month. It will be interesting if Iraq is brought up. I'm not saying that it should or whatever, so please don't draw your swords just yet.

He's smart enough to know people would get tired of him if he stuck his nose into *every* angle of politics.

Hawk269 said:
To all,

Here is the bottom line. Bono has not said anything publicly about this war. You can interpret that fact any way you want.

As Sting2 quoted him, Bono is not a pacifist and does see situations where you have to be aggressive in order to protect your people and way of life. I see this as being a situation where bombing Iraq protects our way of life from someone who clearly hates us.

AJ
:up:
Im w Hawk and Sting.

Melon
Iam not Interference's Spelling Bee Winner:angry:
never claimed to be:angry:

However-
I have the market cornered on satire and cynisim-sp:angry: .

thank u:sexywink:

DB9

brianmcf said:
He's smart enough to know people would get tired of him if he stuck his nose into *every* angle of politics.

Absolutely. He doesn't want to become a twit. That's smart.:yes: :yes: Holy smokes, the liberals and conservatives actually agree on something!!!:lol: :lol: :shocked: :lmao:

diamond said:

:up:
Im w Hawk and Sting.

Melon
Iam not Interference's Spelling Bee Champion.:angry:
nor have I ever claimed to be:angry:

However-
I do have the market cornered on satire and cynisim-sp:angry: .

thank u:sexywink:

DB9

ah shit dble post:angry:

Last edited:
"..there's no need to escalate
you see - war is not the answer
cause only love can conquer hate.."

- What's Goin On
December 2, 2001
Miami (final show)

One of the last things I personally heard Bono sing/say about war.

Yes. You can make political statements that are implicit and not explicit. In other words, the lyrics are not going to be obviously political; they will be rather cryptic or unfocused or mysterious. They're working on an album. I'll bet they have at least one song about the war, but it's probably no SBS in terms of explicit/ implicit content. A song need not be SBS to be political. I love SBS but that was then, this is now.

*edited because I keep making stupid mistakes*

Last edited:
STING2 said:
Pub Crawler,

I don't think you are a Pacifist because you support military intervention in the Rawanda situation. A Pacifist is one who advocates pacifism. Pacifism is opposition to ALL war and armed hostility. But everyone is free to define where they stand, but the dictionary definition of a Pacifist is one that is opposed to all war no matter what the situation is.

I never claimed to be a pacifist. I have only stated that I strive to be a pacifist. Here are the statements I've made in this thread with respect to my personal commitment to pacifism:

pub crawler said:
Yet, I STILL CONSIDER MYSELF SOMEONE WHO STRIVES TO BE A PACIFIST.

pub crawler said:
You're right. Bono says he is no longer a pacifist. If he supports bombing Iraq, then I disagree with him vehemently.

pub crawler said:

STING2, the ways in which I strive to be a pacifist are as follows:

(etc., etc.)

My point being that, in my opinion, Rwanda was a very clear case where military intervention was needed. But even so, the question of how much force is a dilemma for a pacifistic person such as myself.

Again, I've only said that I strive to be a pacifist, that I am pacifistic, but not a pure PACIFIST. I don't think it's possible to be a pure pacifist, but let me explain. I would protect my family to the best of my ability if they were threatened. If I were in any situation where I could protect an innocent person who was being unjustly persecuted, I hope that I would do so. But let me be clear: to say that is impossible to be a "pure pacifist" doesn't mean that one should give up trying.

read this and shut up...

That's a Saddam Lie!
U2 star Bono denies rumours that he is planning a face-face meeting with Iraqi dictator

The People, February 16, 2003

Eamonn O'Hanlon

Irish rock idol Bono is "spitting mad" over claims he is planning face-to-face talks with Saddam Hussein in a last-ditch bid to avert war in Iraq.

The U2 superstar, who took the unusual step of denying the rumours in a website message to fans, is said to feel under increasing pressure to take a stand on the war.

He has remained virtually silent on the issue since the current crisis began, despite forging ahead with a host of other political campaigns.

Hollywood bad boy Sean Penn is among those pressing the rocker to pledge his support for the anti-war movement following his own highly controversial trip to Baghdad last month.

Organisers of yesterday's massive anti-war rally in Dublin, who have managed to enlist the support of Irish stars such as Christy Moore, Hazel O'Connor, Mary Coughlan and Luka Bloom are also keen to gain Bono's support.

But pals say the star, who held talks with U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House last year on the AIDS epidemic sweeping Africa, is -- almost uniquely for him -- set to remain on the sidelines.

One source said: "Bono has firm views on a whole range of issues, from Third World debt to the future of the European Union.

"He has met world leaders and travelled thousands of miles all over the world promoting his causes.

"But even he is wary of over-extending himself.

"By trying to do too much, he is afraid he will end up doing nothing.

"He believes that the war on terror is one of the most important issues of our age, but has made virtually no public statement on the issue.

"He was furious when people started saying that he was on his way to Baghdad."

Other pals believe Bono is staying quiet to protect his "special relationship" with President Bush and other senior White House figures, including Secretary of State Colin Powell and the National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.

His closeness to the Bush administration was underlined in the president's State of the Union address last month, when he recommended the U.S. Congress earmark $15 billion over the next five years to combat the AIDS crisis in Africa and the Caribbean.

The announcement came only days after Bono penned an impassioned article for the Washington Post, imploring Bush to divert extra funds to fighting AIDS, which he claimed was killing 6,500 people every day.

Bono later praised Bush's initiative, describing it as "bold" and "wholly welcome" and a "true shift" in U.S. policy in the face of a health crisis of "biblical proportions."

Pals say Bono was shaken when only days after this triumph reports started to surface about a possible one-man peace mission to Baghdad.

Kathy Kelly, one of the American human shields visited by Penn during his fact-finding trip to the Iraqi capital, claimed Bono was expected there within weeks to meet Saddam.

"Penn has been putting pressure on Bono to follow suit," she said.

"Apparently he's going to come."

The claims, which flew directly in the face of Bono's stated admiration for American political traditions, turned out to be unfounded.

The star, who is currently in Dublin working on a new U2 album, sealed his apparent love affair with the U.S. shortly before Christmas on an AIDS awareness tour of the American Midwest with actress Ashley Judd.

At the time he said he was overwhelmed by the goodwill he had encountered from the American people, while revealing plans for a new song paying tribute to "what's great about America."

The song, which he started writing while still on the road, is called "American Prayer" and will include lyrics borrowed from the "huddled masses" inscription on the Statue of Liberty.

In his only public statement on the war, Bono echoed Colin Powell by linking the impending conflict to the war on poverty.

Even then he kept his thoughts about the rights and wrongs of war firmly under wraps.

"Right now there's talk of war on Iraq -- but the war against terror is bound up in the war against poverty," he said recently.

"Who said that? The United States Secretary of State, Colin Powell.

"All the military men involved in this campaign know you can't win this war by military means alone."

Bono's near silence has puzzled many fans, who have grown accustomed to him taking the lead on political issues.

He once admitted in an interview with America's 60 Minutes current affairs show that he had politics in his blood.

"You can't escape politics if you're Irish," Bono said.

"It's like the two subjects you can't talk about anywhere else in the world: religion and politics.

"It's all that people talk about.

"I was taught that if my opinion was informed, I had the right to express it and not be afraid of who else was in the room.

"I'm going to be mouthing off anyway. That's who I am."

? MGN Ltd., 2003.

STING2 said:
I'll be the first to tell you that I am not a Pacifist. I defend the use of USA military force in every single war the USA has ever fought in because I believe it was just and necessary.

That's where I take issue with you, STING2. You come across as a person who has an undying allegiance to the U.S. military, regardless of the way in which the military is being deployed. You don't ask questions.

So where are you aspiring to be a pacifist?

Back
Top Bottom