Bono's silence is strange and disappointing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to know what Bono thinks, but my mom thinks that he's not saying his opinion b/c he went to Africa with the former Secrtary of the Treasury. I think that Bono's silence has nothing to do with that. He's probably too busy working on his AIDS stuff. I can't believe that he's not at one of the antiwar protests today. Maybe he's for the war. Who knows

Dreadsox said:
This thread, makes me sad for Bono. Can you immagine the pressure of trying to be all things to all people. Let the man make his poetry. Let the man choose what battles he wants to fight. He does not owe it to his fans to come out and make statements on every single cause or crisis that comes down the path.

HE IS NOT GOD. Let him be the man that he is.

Dreadsox,

It's right that you think of your wife and children first. The military don't really need you and besides they no longer accept men with hairy backs :mac: .
I do agree, it must be terrible to be torn in so many directions, and to not lose ground you've gained. There's no doubt Sadaam is a butcher, but we've got to wait on the UN.
Off track, did you see the interview with Kenneth Pollack(?) on CNN today. It was very interesting, he also said the US must have the international community with them on Iraq.

I found an interesting quote, it?s available in Susan Black?s book Bono in His Own Words. I?ll type it here, I have nothing better to do this Saturday night anyways.

"People think the reasons I?m attracted to Martin Luther King or Gandhi or Jesus Christ is that, in some way, I am a real man of God myself. In truth, the real reason that I?m attracted to these men is that I?m the guy with the broken bottle. I grew up that way an I despise violence, I despise the violence that?s in me and that?s why I?m attracted to men who have turned back on it. " - March 1987

I think it?s fair to say, from his three statements presented here (the one from Larry King show, the other one from Hot Press interview and this one from the book I mentioned), that he has struggled with his own explosive nature thoughout his life. He believes strongly in peace, he desires to be a man of peace, and he has tried really hard to be one of them.

That?s the reason why I was hoping for him to say something in favour of a peaceful solution for this conflict. That?s what I tried to say with being coherent to his past. Maybe he?s getting more pragmatic with age, I don?t know. Maybe he?s just getting tired and old. Or maybe people like Aine and myself should just shut up anyways.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
This thread, makes me sad for Bono. Can you immagine the pressure of trying to be all things to all people. Let the man make his poetry. Let the man choose what battles he wants to fight. He does not owe it to his fans to come out and make statements on every single cause or crisis that comes down the path.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Well said.

I can see many of you wishing Bono was a hippie with the peace sign t-shirt, walking around telling politicians that war never solves anything.

Just remember that war took down Nazi Germany. And remember that war ended slavery in this country. War may not always be the best or ideal solution to a problem, but sometimes it is the only choice.

We are not some fake-pacifist European country. When war is necessary, we answer the call. The fact is that Saddam is an insane dictator, who hates everything the US stands for and should not have nukes at his disposal. Period.

Since when is Bono the authority on war-time decision making? He has an opinion just like you and I, and whether he chooses to voice it to the public is entirely his decision.

AJ

STING2 said:
pub crawler,

Well after some quick research into the articles I have recently sited, it appears I was both wrong and right. I was wrong to think that Bono was never at any point in his life a true blue Pacifist. I thought he was very much anti-violence and war in most situations, but not a full fledge pacifist.

It appears what happened is that Bono was a full fledged pacifist during the 80s, but this changed because of the crises in the former Yugoslavia which began in June 1991.
Fair enough.

The following qoutes taken from "Until The End Of The World" page 285 and HOT PRESS 2002 ANNUAL issue, page 81, show that while Bono used to be a Pacifist, he no longer is.

"Until The End Of The World" page 285

From the book:

( Bono heads back outside to continue his recruiting drive. "I'm involved with a group", he says, "that sends food and supplies in there. And you know, this guy Bill Carter got to me tonight. He said, 'That's all right, but you're feeding a graveyard.' As a pacifist it is hard for me to justify sending arms to anybody, but God, if these people are being slaughtered you have to at least let them defend themselves."

Bill Carter explained to us earlier that the Bosnian situation has completely fallen apart since May, when Europe rejected U.S. efforts to organize NATO intervention. "It's just wholesale murder now," Carter said. "They know no one's coming to the rescue."

That image is driving Bono to distraction. "For once the U.S. had it right," Bono declares, " and Europe fucked it up! The U.S. wanted to go in and the English wouldn't agree with the French and the French couldn't agree-")

Clearly while Bono may have been a Pacifist, he is above supporting US military intervention that would of course involved bombing and colateral damage. He may state that he is a Pacifist above, but he in fact is not since he supports a military solution for the Bosnian conflict. 2 years later the U.S. would do just that in September 1995 bringing the war in Bosnia to an end and saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

Again, there's a big difference between Bosnia and Iraq. Bosnia was about "ethnic cleansing." Iraq is about "Weapons of Mass Destruction." I agree with Bono that you've got to go in to Bosnia and stop the "wholesale murder." As I said earlier in this thread, I felt the same way about Rwanda.

I don't agree with Bush's desire to bomb Iraq for alleged violations with respect to WMD's. In my opinion, the Bush clan's (i.e., George Sr. and Jr.) modus operandi has always been to kick ass now and ask questions later. It's amazing to me that Bush is now saying that the U.N. either has to agree with him or it (the U.N.) is irrelevant.

Now fast forward to December 2001.

HOT PRESS ANNUAL 2002, on the newstand in January 2002. Page 81.

Question from the interviewer:

But is that going to change their(USA) sense of the role they should play in the world? If you look at what's going on now in Afghanistan, you wouldn't interpret that as being the case.

BONO's response:

"Aside from the fact that the media has had very little access, and thats unnerving, I don't think historically the way this campaign has been waged against terror will be seen as anything other than a success in terms of the least loss of human life and a certain measuredness, which most of the world weren't expecting from the United States. And reading the New York Times report of the fall of Kabul and journalists walking around, there's hardly any civilian targets hit. That was kind of miraculous. Any civilian target hit is unacceptable. BUT I USED TO BE A PACIFIST. I'M NO LONGER A PACIFIST- and not because I don't want to be, but because I can't live up to it in my own life. Its a source of deep sadness to me that I can't. If somebody was threatening my wife and my kids I would not turn the other cheek and it's patently clear to anyone living in New York or London or Los Angeles or Chicago that in a matter of months, and certainly years, whole corners of their cities were about to be taken out...whether it's chemicals or dirty nuclear devices, whatever they're calling them. SO I DON'T SEE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO WHAT THEY'VE DONE."

You're right. Bono says he is no longer a pacifist. If he supports bombing Iraq, then I disagree with him vehemently.

I'm still curious about what you wrote earlier in this thread:

STING2 said:
Yes Bono aspires to be a Pacifist. Everyone that is not evil
aspires to be a Pacifist as well.

STING2, in your opinion, how does one work toward becoming a pacifist?

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
Does he really owe us his opinion?

I don't think so. I don't think he has to tell the press what he thinks on every damn issue. He probably has *some* opinion on Iraq that he doesn't want to tell the press about, because, you're right, $15 billion for AIDS in Africa. That's more important to him right now, and it *is* a f:censored:g emergency. It'd be pretty futile for him to get mixed up with this anyway. I say this as a staunch opponent of war in Iraq (I demonstrated today). Celebrities don't have to sell their souls to the damn media.

Dreadsox said:

Sorry, that's what I was trying to qoute.

Hawk269 said:

Since when is Bono the authority on war-time decision making? He has an opinion just like you and I, and whether he chooses to voice it to the public is entirely his decision.AJ

He isn't, and he knows it. Why should he have to tell the press this stuff? I mean, heck, he also needs to think about U2's American market. We all know from personal experience that many U2 fans are Bush supporters. I don't agree with this but I do believe in democracy and this is fine with me. Personally, I don't hate George Bush. I just think he's making a huge mistake. It'd be a bad business decision for Bono as well as a bad political decision if he came out against the war. The guy's not exactly stupid. Let's let him mind his own business.

verte76 said:
he also needs to think about U2's American market. We all know from personal experience that many U2 fans are Bush supporters..... It'd be a bad business decision for Bono as well

I seriously doubt that this would ever be a reason for Bono to keep quiet about anything.

Politics, and AIDS cash, sure, but not whether his records sell to a few conservative fans.

Olofski said:

Just remember that war brought us Nazi Germany!

i'm with Dreadsox and Bono's AmericanWife on this one. war was begun by the Germans, to annihilate the allies who beat them in the first World War, and gain control of the entire "free" world...

Sorry, i am no expert on European conflicts...:shrug: but the killing fields of the SS and their scientific friends are little more now than shocking museums, here in the States and in Europe. sorry, never been to Germany, Russia, Italy or Denmark.

though, the Diary of Anne Frank has been read by me(note: passive voice) and, the movie, in black and white, WAS SEEN BY ME. yes, i saw an old movie of the Nazi occupation in Denmark!

scary sirens, those Germans had! remember, WAR caused the Holocaust?

but you say: bigotry brought the holocaust. really? bigotry and silence? is that right? :mad:

so Bono is silent, so what? he better be, because someone is sure to disagree with him and issue another fatwa, or stop buying his records, i'm sorry, CD's. fine... this is the end! end rant! end war! end holocausts! end fighting! end disagreement! begin to listen...you blind monkeys! deaf and dumb, you will be, if you don't offer your own point of view...hurrah...no one promised anyone a rose garden, to quote an old top forty song...

martha said:

I seriously doubt that this would ever be a reason for Bono to keep quiet about anything.

Politics, and AIDS cash, sure, but not whether his records sell to a few conservative fans.

OK, it's mainly politics, but generally speaking I think it's called "public relations", not to mention his rights as an Irish and European Union citizen.

No offense to anyone but I think I'd better go back to PLEBA before I get myself in trouble here. I'm not exactly a great lover of controversy.:no: :no:

Here's a big part of what Bono is all about -- speaking and acting on issues that bring people together, not those that divide us. I don't think he's done a lot with issues where there's two clear, vocal sides and the line between them is a bit blurred. With Iraq, yeah, you have most of the world against it, but you have a lot of Americans and, believe it or not, others throughout the world who support it. AIDS killing millions in Africa is clearly wrong to everybody. With Iraq, some people see going after Saddam as a risk because of the threat to innocent life, then some say it's time to stop a dictator who's already killing his own innocent people and is seen as a threat to others outside of his country. What ever his opinion is on this one, I'll let him do whatever he wants with it, because that's what I'm doing. After looking past the rock star image and understanding who Bono is as a human, you can tell he's a highly intelligent guy with deep convictions and a high calling. It's fair to say this guy knows what he's doing, and has a good Counselor.

Pub,

"STING2, in your opinion, how does one work toward becoming a pacifist?"

By being diplomatic and avoiding resorting to options that might include violence unless its absolutely necessary.

IMHO, Bono has tact. He's always been a good people person. And as a musician, Bono's also a very powerful person in music and politics. So why would he say anything controversial about today's state of global events that will f*** up where the social position he's at?

It's not selling out. It's playing smart.

theSoulfulMofo said:
IMHO, Bono has tact. He's always been a good people person. And as a musician, Bono's also a very powerful person in music and politics. So why would he say anything controversial about today's state of global events that will f*** up where the social position he's at?

It's not selling out. It's playing smart.

Yeah, same opinion + 15 billions.

Fact is too, that Bono?s opinion wouldn?t change the actions of the Bush administration if millions of people on the streets in all the world don?t change it.

I wonder, STING2, how you can still support your President when he damages the diplomatic relations of your very own country. Bush affects the perception of America negatively worldwide, that is a fact too, considering the millions of people on the street yesterday and today.

CannibalisticArtist said:
i agree bono doesn't owe us anything, but when he has been so politically involved and active in world matters, he put himself in spotlight and people expect him to offer an opinion at least of what is going on. after all this is the BIGGEST thing right now.

That's EXACTLY what my point is.
Some of you're trying to say that Bono's no difference from any of
the people expressing their opinions here.But he is.I believe that all or most people here are serious and sincere about their views,
no matter what views they are,and feel responsible for their words.
So is Bono,but his responsibility's much greater cause,as CA
said,he is in the spotlight and has influence.That is the choice HE made.He could have chosen to stay apolitical,as some musicians do,and keep his views to himself,occasionaly mentioning them in an interview.Then those would be his very own personal views,
just like anyone else's.
BUT once and for all Bono made it perfectly clear that he's more than l'art pour l'art.Remember his message,"World leaders need a big e-mail push" during the Drop the Debt compaign? If he adresses millions of his fans in this way he obviously knows he's got some influence.He's been proving that and making serious
statements all the way:from waving white flag back at Red Rocks to going to Bosnia,addressing his fans on different issues,
dedicating Walk On to Aung San Suu Kyi etc,etc.I agree he's taken a hard path,but once you make your choice,you're responsible for it.He's "a man,not a child".And "God" and "being
everything for everyone" is an exaggeration.You don't need to be
"everything" to understand the Iraqi issue is by far the biggest
issue at the moment and after all the political and social concern you've been showing for years it's not surprising people may expect YOU,not J.Lo to react.
Once again,Bono is a personality who's,unlike many others,
known for more than music,almost like John Lennon.You may like
Lennon or hate him or even don't care but at least there was some consistency about him during the Vietnam War.

Yes, Aine, but maybe he doesn?t offer his opinion BECAUSE its the "biggest thing" - at the very moment. It may not be the biggest thing for Bono.

And I doubt the easy sleazy way of saying this is the "biggest thing" just bc everyone goes crazy. To me, Africa is the same important.

And when an aritst is known for his social opinions, it don?t mean he has to utter his opinion on everything and anything. The media is so full of articles about Iraq. Remember Bono did ZooTV? He knows that if he says just a word, it will be taken out of context, played around with, wrong citations, probably some headlines, but all in all nothing more than BLAH BLAH.

I think there are reasons for Bono not to speak out on that issue. And I think the protest movement is strong enough without him, too - whereas the movement for helping Africa isn?t that strong yet.

Last edited:
It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not. However, it'd be really interesting to know what he thinks. And I do agree with what Aine said, that if he expresses political opinions on other subjects that it's not completely unreasonable to be curious about his opinion on Iraq, given what a huge issue it is. Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.

There's always going to be an extent to which those of us who are anti-war just assume he's on our side, just as the pro-war lobby are going to find reasons to paint him as a hawk.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Yes, Aine, but maybe he doesn?t offer his opinion BECAUSE its the "biggest thing" - at the very moment. It may not be the biggest thing for Bono.And I doubt the easy sleazy way of saying this is the "biggest thing" just bc everyone goes crazy.
I understand,but is it really about "going crazy"? I'd say it's about
people's lives at this very moment.What I don't get is how one can be concerned about the suffering of the people in Africa but
at the same time act as if Iraq=Saddam when first of all Iraq'a its
people whose sufferings will be no smaller if the war starts,cause
it's always ordinary people's lives that are ruined,not the bastards
who rule them.It's what angers me most,that the damn Milosevic sits in the Hague like in his own living-room while 2000 lives were
destroyed not to mention about the rest.Obviously it's not the
way out.Surely all suffering people in the world are worth-noticing,not just a chosen group,especially when they need you
NOW?

And I think the protest movement is strong enough without him, too - whereas the movement for helping Africa isn?t that strong yet.
After September,11 the world's support for America's tragedy was strong as well and there was no need to draw additional attention to it,unlike with Africa.Nonetheless,Bono joined American stars in shooting the video,the only non-American there.That would be all right,we all understand and share America's grief,but the next question is,did he sympathise with America's trouble more than of any other country as if thousands of people around the world were less humans? That's why I say
I'm amazed by such clear expressions of inconsistency or even double standard from such an intelligent,knowledgible and respectful person as Bono.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not. However, it'd be really interesting to know what he thinks. And I do agree with what Aine said, that if he expresses political opinions on other subjects that it's not completely unreasonable to be curious about his opinion on Iraq, given what a huge issue it is. Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.

There's always going to be an extent to which those of us who are anti-war just assume he's on our side, just as the pro-war lobby are going to find reasons to paint him as a hawk.

Exactly. Well said. :up:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not.
Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.
I've never said he's "obliged" or "should" or "must" because no
one can "oblige" Bono to do anything,or at least I hope so.But
his giving an opinion would be quite natural given all his concern
about similar issues.And it's certainly his choice to speak out or not;the point is,his choice tells something about him.That's my
strongest conviction,but I'd like to note that I appreciate otherwise convictions here no less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom