Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
I know that our beloved B-man is soft on politicians generally as a tactic to get them to cooperate with debt relief and aid to Africa.

However, when Bono said that Bush was doing a great job on TV last night, my stomach turned. He soured an otherwise lovely evening of late night TV and a great 4-song set.

When Conan gave him the chance to speak eloquently about getting beyond the polarized either-or of Left-Right, he instead parroted his increasingly dated, rehearsed, and shallow rap about stopping poverty being part of the war and as big as the internet.

I wear my One bracelet and U2 fandom proudly, but Bono sometimes tests my love and admiration. He did last night.
Anu

I think the more important point and the one that usually gets lost or overlooked is that it's the citizen voters that really have the final say on who gets what money. Bono can harass Bush all he wants and Bush can agree to pretty much anything, but unless WE make it an issue when it comes to who we elect and why, nothing will ever come of it.

Also, Bono seemed kind of nervous or distracted last night. I don't think he said one original thing and they kept going to commercials and the discussion/questions never really got anywhere.

One thing you have to remember about Bono is he generally takes a very humble approach to everyone he works with on the AIDS crisis. He appeals to everyone. I understand that certain comments can make people wince, but in the end, I think he knows what he's doing.

coemgen said:
One thing you have to remember about Bono is he generally takes a very humble approach to everyone he works with on the AIDS crisis. He appeals to everyone. I understand that certain comments can make people wince, but in the end, I think he knows what he's doing.

Yeah, I mean, it's obvious the majority of people on Interference hate Bush, but half of the nation doesn't, so for Bono to start talking about the ONE campaign and equality, justice, etc and then say Bush is a lying idiot would pretty much destroy Bono's credibility, even if its true...I'm proud of Bono for having the patience to work with Bush and still have something positive to say about the experience!

I don't think Bono should go around criticizing Bush. I don't like Bush and didn't vote for him, but what good would it do if Bono said he was a crud who wasn't doing his fair share? In that business you've got to play a word game, and that's what he's doing. I didn't see the show so I can't judge that particular interview.

I can't stand Bush, but i thought Bono did an admirable job talking about the issue and what's needed, and not get into finger pointing.

Bono basically said this same thing to Conan: "We don't always have to agree upon everything. We just have to agree upon ONE thing."

I think Bono's approach to this issue, the way he approaches both sides, is exactly what sets him apart from every other celebrity out there. Conservatives actually listen to him. Do you think they would give him the time of day if he went on crazy Michael Moore-ish rants, simply demonizing the other side and making blanket statements? I think he is absoultey right in not making this a partisan issue .

Actually, I agree with ouizy that Bono and ONE really have got to show a bit more backbone when it comes to facing up to the obstinency and lack of necessary funding levels for Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs around the world on the part of the American government. :ohmy:

Whether it is with the President or members of Congress (whether Democratic or Republican), the days of Bono's cajoling the American government should come to an end!

With over two million Americans who have signed up for the ONE Campaign, Bono and ONE have behind them enough PEOPLE POWER to keep these politicians honest enough to fulfill their commitments to Africa in terms of funding Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs in the federal budget.

OUR POWER LIES IN THE FACT THAT WE CAN VOTE THESE OBSTINATE POLITICIANS OUT OF OFFICE. :wink:

Bono and ONE need to concentrate more than what is being done on mobilizing the American people to pressure our politicians than on Bono giving every two-bit politico a photo op and autograph session with him which doesn't materialize into support for the funding of the programs Bono supports.

I speak as one who has been and is in the trenches of the anti-poverty struggle for many years.

:yes:

Bono didn't say "Bush has a heart" or "Bush has done some decent things for aid to Africa"; he gave him a blanket pass on his "job," his performance. "He's doing a good job."

This assertion is increasingly, universally, patently false. Even Bush's pals are bailing on him because he is *not* doing a good job.

Dr. King and John Lennon (Bono's heroes and mine) "spoke truth to power" on the Vietnam War even when it was not the popular thing to do. Bono could be much more outspoken about the war.

Bono is very influential and principled. While he could lose credibility for what someone called Michael Moore-like behavior, he also loses credibility for not having a backbone when Bush's behavior so clearly harms the world and contradicts the values that the band and most of the band's fans share.

I agree with what you're saying, and I wish Bono would speak up and get a bit more ballsy, but at the same time, I don't think a U2 segment on late night TV is really the most appropriate or effective venue to have that kind of discussion. I would've liked it more if they'd avoided that whole topic of Bush vs. African aid in general, b/c that's only one small dimension of the problem involving only one person (Bush). I can't even watch a U2 skit anymore w/ out it turning into a political debate.

Anu said:
Bono didn't say "Bush has a heart" or "Bush has done some decent things for aid to Africa"; he gave him a blanket pass on his "job," his performance. "He's doing a good job."

This assertion is increasingly, universally, patently false. Even Bush's pals are bailing on him because he is *not* doing a good job.

Dr. King and John Lennon (Bono's heroes and mine) "spoke truth to power" on the Vietnam War even when it was not the popular thing to do. Bono could be much more outspoken about the war.

Bono is very influential and principled. While he could lose credibility for what someone called Michael Moore-like behavior, he also loses credibility for not having a backbone when Bush's behavior so clearly harms the world and contradicts the values that the band and most of the band's fans share.

Just wanted to point out that Bono is not a pacifist and has supported the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. I know that really angers some liberals, but BONO does not necessarily share all the views on various issues that many mainstream liberals have. While its true Bono did not support the initial invasion of Iraq, Bono does support the US troops working hard in Iraq to help build a new country for the people there. He has dedicated songs to them in concert this year.

The fact is, Bush is doing a good job in many area's, and Bono seems to agree. He obviously does not hate Bush or Helms like many liberals do. Its great to see him thinking outside the liberal box when it comes to politics.

STING2 said:

Just wanted to point out that Bono is not a pacifist and has supported the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. I know that really angers some liberals, but BONO does not necessarily share all the views on various issues that many mainstream liberals have. While its true Bono did not support the initial invasion of Iraq, Bono does support the US troops working hard in Iraq to help build a new country for the people there. He has dedicated songs to them in concert this year.

The fact is, Bush is doing a good job in many area's, and Bono seems to agree. He obviously does not hate Bush or Helms like many liberals do. Its great to see him thinking outside the liberal box when it comes to politics.

it's great to see people paint "liberals" as of a single mindset with a single set of values that they all adhere to. it's great to hear the word "liberal" used as a definition of political convenience, of giving a name to myriad people from all walks of life who disagree with you. it's much easier to define people on your terms so that it serves your political purposes. this is how things like racism or sexism work -- you define those who are somewhat different from you, and then view everything they say or do through that definition.

The easy way out for Bono would be to slam all the hypocrites. He's fighting the dirty fight that's necessary to get the BILLIONS needed to win this battle.

Irvine511 said:

it's great to see people paint "liberals" as of a single mindset with a single set of values that they all adhere to. it's great to hear the word "liberal" used as a definition of political convenience, of giving a name to myriad people from all walks of life who disagree with you. it's much easier to define people on your terms so that it serves your political purposes. this is how things like racism or sexism work -- you define those who are somewhat different from you, and then view everything they say or do through that definition.

If you read what I said, you'll realize that I did not paint all liberals as being of a single mindset. I consider BONO to be a liberal, but I certainly have not described him as being some clone. Plenty of people in here use terms like "Bushies", "Neo-Conservatives", "Conservatives" etc. to refer to the small minority of people in this forum that are Bush supporters or Republicans.

STING2 said:

Plenty of people in here use terms like "Bushies", "Neo-Conservatives", "Conservatives" etc. to refer to the small minority of people in this forum that are Bush supporters or Republicans.

Or who are just not liberal enough...:wink:

Or who are white heterosexaul males......

:laugh:

STING2 said:
While its true Bono did not support the initial invasion of Iraq, Bono does support the US troops working hard in Iraq to help build a new country for the people there. He has dedicated songs to them in concert this year.

I'm glad you can see these as two different things, because nowhere that I've seen has Bono said he supports the invasion of Iraq. I've read him say the exact opposite in fact.

Can you supply any quotes where he comes out and explicitly states his support for the invasion and occupation of Iraq? NOT quotes about Afganistan, please. And dedicating songs to the troops during an obviously anti-war section of the concert isn't the same as explicitly supporting the war in Iraq.

STING2 said:

If you read what I said, you'll realize that I did not paint all liberals as being of a single mindset. I consider BONO to be a liberal, but I certainly have not described him as being some clone. Plenty of people in here use terms like "Bushies", "Neo-Conservatives", "Conservatives" etc. to refer to the small minority of people in this forum that are Bush supporters or Republicans.

yes, you're right. your use of the word "many" certianly absolves you of defining people for your political purposes. liberal is a vastly bigger term than "bushies" -- the people in the white house -- "neoconservatives" -- loosely defined as those who were once classical liberals, often came out of the U of Chicago and the Project for the New American CEntury, and now support the often unilateral application of american power to achieve political ends -- while "conservative," like "liberal," lies largely in the view of the person who is using that term. still, no matter what many people in here do, it doesn't make your post or lables any less intellectually lazy or politically convenient.

Anu said:

I took the "He's doing a good job" statement as being strictly about aid to Africa. Of course you could argue that it might be a bit premature to be praising him in that area until he actually delivers on his promises, but I never for a moment thought Bono was praising every aspect of Bush's performance as president. I thought he made that clear when he said "we don't have to agree on everything. We only have to agree on one thing."

I would love it if Bono were harsher on the Bush administration because I think a lot of the people in it are incompetent at best and outright crooks at worst, but I don't see any way he can do that without losing the ground he's worked so hard to build.

Bono's shades said:
I took the "He's doing a good job" statement as being strictly about aid to Africa. Of course you could argue that it might be a bit premature to be praising him in that area until he actually delivers on his promises, but I never for a moment thought Bono was praising every aspect of Bush's performance as president. I thought he made that clear when he

Didn't see the interview, but I suspect your interpretation is correct.

STING2 said:

Correct, but just to point out that in the New Musical Express interview published in early January 2005, both Bono and Adam Clayton strongly condemned the Iraq invasion, I believe Bono said it was all based on 'lies and spin'. I can post the exact quote if you wish.

But ultimately should Bono's views on Bush, Iraq, etc, really change our minds? In my view, no as he is no more qualified than Joe Sixpack to form an opinion on current affairs.

Last edited:
Bono isn't Bono 1987 and just representing himself waxing political and argumentative about apartheid or any other issue in concert with no reprocussions.

He represents a faction who asked him to be their "leader" or spokesperson, and the easiest way for them to get from point A to point B is action, action, action. The easiest wasy to stymie the action, in this particular case is to directly insult the man who's heart neds to be won over. This isn't about Bono and a cause versus the big bad Iraq invaders. This is about am issue of emergency pleading the people who can help fix it. It's not a fuckign Bono issue. I thought this was as simple as 1-2-3.

He's trying not to play fucking politics with the issue.

I guess some people don't get it, yet. The difference between Africa and a political issue. Bono got it and the people he represents surely get it.

Last edited:
Maybe Bono does get it, but in that case he shouldn't be in U2. They should fucking split for the duration. I've got all the respect in the world (up to a point) for the nuances of Bono's political job, but it's no longer possible for me to love U2 precisely because of this.

I really do not get this bickering over Bono and his stances on things.

The man tries to do good in the world, and I love him for that. Period.

He does not have to agree with my stances on the issues.

He cares about PEOPLE. Caring about people includes soldiers, the poor, the average Joe.

I do not believe he supports Iraq, but his dedication of songs to the troops is not representative of his support of the war in Iraq, it is representative of his support of the human being serving his country in difficult times.

Seeing the show it is obvious he does not support the torture of another human being. Who in this forum believes that Abu G. was the correct thing to do?

But Bono cares about the soul.

Like Bush, hate Bush, he has done more for Afrian aid than any president in history. You are not going to get this administration to help if you are pointing out every fucking difference between the right and the left.

The politics would get in the way of saving lives. If it hurts so much to see him sacrafice the political differences for actually saving lives, shame on you!

Last edited:
Just for the record, I'm not a liberal or a conservative, and I find Bono's schmoozefests with Clinton and Blair just as intolerable as his being soft on Bush.

(As to Bush, the war is not my only concern; I'll try not to get started about the criminal activities of the federal government on the gulf coast).

I'll also agree with one post in that I wish the Conan show had stayed away from politics.

But Conan asked a question about moving away from left-right and Bono repeated things he's said a zillion times this year (I did like the Jesse Helms story, though).

2005 Bono should be more articulate than 1985 Bono and the song "Like a Song" may be the most articulate yet.

"I knew much more then, than I do now . . . "

"A new heart is what I need, God make it bleed"

Anu

Bono's shades said:

I took the "He's doing a good job" statement as being strictly about aid to Africa. Of course you could argue that it might be a bit premature to be praising him in that area until he actually delivers on his promises, but I never for a moment thought Bono was praising every aspect of Bush's performance as president. I thought he made that clear when he said "we don't have to agree on everything. We only have to agree on one thing."

I would love it if Bono were harsher on the Bush administration because I think a lot of the people in it are incompetent at best and outright crooks at worst, but I don't see any way he can do that without losing the ground he's worked so hard to build.

I completely agree, which is why I'm disappointed Conan even tried to get Bono to talk about this....because it just turned into being about Bush and what he's doing instead of about Bono and what he's doing. I never thought Bono meant Bush was doing a good job in general, b/c what would Bono know about our education system, our health care, our disaster in the Gulf? I thought he meant, as far as African aid, Bush was able to get that all lined up, but the American people just don't seem to care. So why would Bush keep working so hard to get all that money ready when the rest of the country doesn't care and would rather spend it all on a stupid war? It's sooooo discouraging to see this turn into Bush-Bono EVERY SINGLE TIME it gets brought up. I spend some time in Africa this year learning about development and such, and NEVER ONCE did we have to bicker about "Bush is doing this" "no he's not" "yes he is", etc. The point is that most of Africa is grossly underdeveloped. Like Bush or hate Bush, he happens to be our President and we're all just going to have to work around that in order to get anything done. It's sad that the only person that seems to really be able to put those political differences aside is Bono.

martha said:

I'm glad you can see these as two different things, because nowhere that I've seen has Bono said he supports the invasion of Iraq. I've read him say the exact opposite in fact.

Can you supply any quotes where he comes out and explicitly states his support for the invasion and occupation of Iraq? NOT quotes about Afganistan, please. And dedicating songs to the troops during an obviously anti-war section of the concert isn't the same as explicitly supporting the war in Iraq.

Can you supply any quotes where I claim that BONO supported the invasion and occupation of Iraq? The dedication did not come during a "obviously anti-war section" of the concert.

Can you find any quotes stating that BONO wants the current US/Coalition operation in Iraq to fail and for the US troops to immediately withdraw? Can you find any quotes where BONO clearly states he is opposed to the current coalition occupation of Iraq?

Irvine511 said:

yes, you're right. your use of the word "many" certianly absolves you of defining people for your political purposes. liberal is a vastly bigger term than "bushies" -- the people in the white house -- "neoconservatives" -- loosely defined as those who were once classical liberals, often came out of the U of Chicago and the Project for the New American CEntury, and now support the often unilateral application of american power to achieve political ends -- while "conservative," like "liberal," lies largely in the view of the person who is using that term. still, no matter what many people in here do, it doesn't make your post or lables any less intellectually lazy or politically convenient.

It was only a brief post and if you find the word "liberal" to be intellectually lazy or politically convenient then perhaps you can suggest a better word.

STING2 said:
Can you supply any quotes where I claim that BONO supported the invasion and occupation of Iraq? The dedication did not come during a "obviously anti-war section" of the concert.

I think you are really grasping at straws here.

The dedication to the troops was before Running To Stand Still, which U2 played right after the Sunday Bloody Sunday/Love and Peace or Else and Bullet the Blue Sky. If you don't think that portion of the concert isn't anti-war, you simply haven't been paying attention to any of U2's lyrics.

Personally, I think the phrase "Running to Stand Still" sounds like a pretty good description of the mess we are in right now with Iraq. I have no idea if that was what Bono was thinking when he made the dedication during that point in the show, but I can't see any other reason for him to choose that particular song for the dedication.

Back
Top Bottom