Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesse Helms isn't a political difference, he's a minion of Satan and you know it. This is why Bono's better at this than I am. He can smile and work with people he can't stand for a good cause. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with some of these freaks.

martha said:
Jesse Helms isn't a political difference, he's a minion of Satan and you know it. This is why Bono's better at this than I am. He can smile and work with people he can't stand for a good cause. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with some of these freaks.

There is nothing productive that can come of this conversation. I have my answer.

You and I agree on one thing, Bono is better at it, and I thank God he is, while the extreme liberals cannot stand him for it.

:hmm: all I have to say at the moment is I was damn happy to see U2 on Conan.

The endless politics, etc, that are involved... well.... I don't know what to say about it just yet.

Last edited:
Wow, I've been spelling Conan's name wrong forever...... it's funny, I've seen his show numerous times, but...... I guess the name never clicked until now.

Thanks for fixing my error in your quote of me!
(now I can go back, hopefully, and fix the original.....

of course I could destroy the evidence in this post... but.....
I don't like deleting what I write, even though I know i should sometimes.... heh.....)

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:
:reject:

Sorry - I tend to be a spelling stickler - didn't mean to make you feel bad :hug:

I have around 7,000 spelling mistakes in here.....Would you mind?

:madspit:

I truly don't think less of anyone who makes a spelling mistake - and I am by no means perfect - but I could not resist (for some odd reason) fixing an error when it indirectly involved MY post. :eek:

I just realized the other day - I have been spelling inflamed wrong for a very long time. I'm a doctor - I should know this. But I seriously only recently realized that inflamed only has one m, while inflammation and inflammatory have 2 m's. I thought all variations of inflame had 2 m's.
[/TMI]

:nerd:

No one is perfect! :hug:

Last edited:
Hopefully I'll spell this right, or correctly, and use good grammar...:wink:

I just want to say that Bono is the smartest celebrity on the planet at the moment. He's keenly aware of his audience, wherever he goes, whatever show he's on, including Conan.

I think he's a liberal at heart, but one who has seen what happens to other liberals of his ilk when they 'go off' on rants; people who alienate the decision-makers instead of getting them to listen.

Bono takes on the qualities, and pushes the teachings of those he's admired the most, namely John Lennon, MLK, and Jesus.

Basically, his message is one of love...and he's a genuis at getting EVERYONE to hear it, no matter their party, belief, or skin colour.

angelordevil said:

I just want to say that Bono is the smartest celebrity on the planet at the moment. He's keenly aware of his audience, wherever he goes, whatever show he's on, including Conan.

I think he's a liberal at heart, but one who has seen what happens to other liberals of his ilk when they 'go off' on rants; people who alienate the decision-makers instead of getting them to listen.

Bono takes on the qualities, and pushes the teachings of those he's admired the most, namely John Lennon, MLK, and Jesus.

Basically, his message is one of love...and he's a genuis at getting EVERYONE to hear it, no matter their party, belief, or skin colour.
:rockon:

okay, I'll surely have to go check out the Flannagan book...
I certainly accept the 'acceptability' lol of a more complex set of positions than "pacifist" versus "NOT a pacifist"..

okay...here are some choice quotes from the Flannagan book ( I really got to getround to reading more of that thing!).
pg277- 278, describing how Bill Carter, a Californian trying to make a documentary about the people of Sarajevo coping with the Serbian siege, comes to interview U2 before their concert in nearby Verona Italy.
"..After some initial questions about ZooTV, Carter asks Bono why, in spite of the lessons of history, people keep returning to the barbarism of war.
"It's the subject of a lot of our songs," Bono says a little awkwardly. "I come from Ireland. Ireland is also divided. Again, they say its religion, but you know its not religion. See, the human heart is very greedy. It seeks many excuses for that. Religion is a convenient one., color is a convenient one. I've been through various different stages in working this out. One must be political at times, but sometimes you have to look beyond that to just the state od the human spirit. I guess that's where I 'm at right now. I'm examining my own hypocrisy. I'm examining my own greed. I've stopped even pointing at politicians." He laughs. "I've found there is enough subject matter in my heart to keep me going.
"I was very inspired by Martin Luther King. He was a character in the middle of a very dangerous situation--civil rights for Aftrican-Americans in the sixties. It could have gone very wrong...The word peace is like bullshit a lot of the time, its like flowers in the hair hippie talk, but he held onto a much stronger idea, a much more concrete idea about peace and respect, and he just kept pummeling it. The idea was that he'd live for his country but he didn't want to die for it and he would never kill for it. And he did die for it. It's a hard thing to hold onto. There must have been an incredible urge...People deserve the right to defend themselves against evil and they must decide how to do that. But if there's any other alternative, obviously you've got to seek it. I know that's what you guys have been trying and you haven't been allowed, and I'm really really sorry to hear that. And I understand any reaction. But I just hope that even in the middle of that you don't become like the animals attacking you. Dignity. Self-respect. These are things that people can't take away. And humor. Humor is the evidence of freedom".

I think that is a very interesting statement that shows complexity here...he seems to be saying that yeah, I understand how people have the right to and the need to and the urge to defend themselves against evil. Sure then, one would imagine sympathy with the 'war against terror', with the desire to defeat people trying to blow you up, plotting to destroy you...maybe even a sympathy with bush's rhetoric about 'evildoers' lol! I never meant to imply that I think Bono could never be for invading afghanistan or for coming in and stopping 'ethnic cleansing' because of some total 'pacifist' position. Hell, I was for going in and getting the taliban in afghanistan and even not against iraq invasion before I knew it was all based on crap evidence. I was actually for going to baghdad back in gulf I, so I can appreciate variability in positions...

But then later, on page 284-285, bono actually calls himself a pacifist! albeit one who is about to change his tune a little...
he is conspiring, after his meeting with bill carter and hearing more and more about sarajevo, to get the band to agree to performing at a disco where people listen to their music as a way of drowning out the bombs going off overhead, trying to convince them to go to sarajevo to play there.
And he's got larry and adam and is about to try with bill flanagan.

"...Bono heads back outside to continue his recruiting drive. "I'm involved with a group," he says, "that sends food and supplies in there. And you know, this guy Bill Carter got to me tonight. He said , 'That's all right, but you're feeding a graveyard.'. As a pacifist it is hard for me to justify sending arms to anybody, but God, if these people are being slaughtered you have to at least let them defend themselves."
Bill Carter explained to us earlier that the Bosnian situation has completely fallen apart since May, when Europe rejected US efforts to organize NATO intervention. "It's just wholesale murder now," Carter said. "They know no one's coming to the rescue."
That image is driving Bono to distraction. "For once the US had it right," Bono declares, "and Europe fucked it up! THe US wanted to go in and the English wouldn't agree with the French and the French couldn't agree..."
"Bono," I interrupt. "What good can a rock n roll band do in there?"
"THe only thing a rock and roll band is good for," he says. "We can make a lot of noise!".

cheers all!

edit: and sorry bonosloveslave for all the typos and spelling errors!
I mispelled flanagan's name too...and probably mispelled mispelled...I have a very slow modem connection so corrections are a huge hassle!

Last edited:
STING2 said:
Thats incorrect. I don't know any conservatives on this board that made any claim that BONO had become a conservative. On the other hand, there are large number of "liberals" here who like to pretend that BONO supports everyone of their causes and has the same hatred and anger they have towards BUSH or any other conservative politician they don't like, and I've proven that is not the case. BONO has independent views that don't always match up with the typical "liberal" agenda.

Oh, please! As if all liberals have the exact same agenda and the exact same way of doing things. And what about all of the people on this board who have said that even though they don't like Bush, they understand why Bono is meeting with him?

bonosloveslave said:
:reject:

Sorry - I tend to be a spelling stickler - didn't mean to make you feel bad :hug:

No no... I was sincere!

I really was glad you fixed my spelling error. I've been spelling Conan as Connan for a long time, and you made me realize it.
(as in, even though it is spelled correctly in the title of this thread, that still didn't make me realize it. Why, if you hadn't mentioned it, I might have been using "Connan" forever... and that wouldn't be right :ohmy: :wink: :) )

I make a lot of mistakes in spelling, but I never feel bad about someone correcting them or pointing them out.

But I'll accept your hug just the same :)

:up:

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

woohoo - - - PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Bono's shades said:
Oh, please! As if all liberals have the exact same agenda and the exact same way of doing things. And what about all of the people on this board who have said that even though they don't like Bush, they understand why Bono is meeting with him?

Though you are of course correct, in a sense you're missing the point. You see, Sting2 is not arguing with you, or with any other actual poster on FYM. He is imagining a vast 'liberal' block of opinion, which actually only exists in his imagination, or possibly in the imagination of a few pundits on Fox News also. The vast leftie conspiracy, as it were. He probably thinks that anyone who did not support the Iraq invasion is some kind of communist.

I have come to realise that it is largely a waste of time arguing with Sting2 on politics, as he is apparently suffering from several delusions.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Though you are of course correct, in a sense you're missing the point. You see, Sting2 is not arguing with you, or with any other actual poster on FYM. He is imagining a vast 'liberal' block of opinion, which actually only exists in his imagination, or possibly in the imagination of a few pundits on Fox News also. The vast leftie conspiracy, as it were. He probably thinks that anyone who did not support the Iraq invasion is some kind of communist.

I have come to realise that it is largely a waste of time arguing with Sting2 on politics, as he is apparently suffering from several delusions.

From the Faq/Rules:

"Personally attacking other members of the forum is unacceptable and may result in an individual warning to the members in question, which may ultimately lead to bannishment from the forum."

Bono is a smart man. He's able to get his message across so that righties hear what they want to hear, and lefties hear what they want to hear (although he is subtle when it comes to bashing bush, blair, etc).

bcrt2000 said:
Bono is a smart man. He's able to get his message across so that righties hear what they want to hear, and lefties hear what they want to hear (although he is subtle when it comes to bashing bush, blair, etc).

I would say that this is true of everyone.......not righties and lefties.

Dreadsox said:

I would say that this is true of everyone.......not righties and lefties.

Well most people are right, left, or somewhere in between, so I covered 2/3 of them :wink:

see that's why I actually thought Conan did a reasonable job in that interview...he allowed bono to show how he both found helms for instance problematic in his positions (oh no, bono said the band said to him, you're not gonna go meet with him are you he dismantled the nea for instance) and that he was going to meet with him anyway and that indeed the man actually came out and apologized about something.
And Conan pointed to Bono's ability to avoid the polarization we've been so crippled by politically. I really believe that there is genuine desire to give people the benefit of some doubt in Bono, to allow them to change their positions, to do the right thing, to stop being hateful, to admit to mistakes. I don't think its "merely" that he is marketing ideas very carefully, though that's clearly true...who knows?
But as Neil Young sung, even Richard Nixon has got soul...
cheerio!

yea i really don't feel like reading all of this because i have to head back out to the garden in like 10 minutes, but frankly... if you're getting pissed off at bono for working/talking/praising bush and others on the right, you're really missing the whole damn point, aren't you?

to accomplish what bono wants to accomplish, he needs all parties working together as... :shocked: ... ONE.

pandering to the left and ignoring the right will accomplish nothing.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yea i really don't feel like reading all of this because i have to head back out to the garden in like 10 minutes, but frankly... if you're getting pissed off at bono for working/talking/praising bush and others on the right, you're really missing the whole damn point, aren't you?

to accomplish what bono wants to accomplish, he needs all parties working together as... :shocked: ... ONE.

pandering to the left and ignoring the right will accomplish nothing.

:applaud:

:up: to Headache and angelordevil's posts. I would most definitely be at odds with some of the people Bono hangs around with-if it were me in Bono's place, I'd really have to try and bite my tongue around a lot of people in that administration. But I understand what Bono is doing this for, and as he's said before, now is not the time to play politics. If some political official from either side refuses to help Bono's cause simply because that would mean they'd have to *gasp* work with the opposing side, then I'd say they're acting incredibly lame and need to grow up.

In this world, we will all encounter people we won't agree with on a lot of things. Is it always fun? No. But that's life. Bono is aware of this, and works as best he can with these people, and I really respect and admire him for that. Like Conan said on the show last week, he's very optimistic. And with a situation like this, I would think one would kinda have to be, because cynicism won't solve a darned thing, it'll just make things worse.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom