Bono's Comments this morning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These people should really get all the facts....on his giving, hard work and purpose he feels was handed to him from God. He did not take a vow of poverty.:madspit:

Look, whatever thoughts you have about God, who He is or if He exists, most will agree that if there is a God, He has a special place for the poor. In fact, the poor are where God lives.

Check Judaism. Check Islam. Check pretty much anyone.

:hmm:

While in no way do I doubt Bono's dedication to his cause. (I truly think he is a noble man for his humanitarian efforts.
I feel that it is not the governments duty to dedicate the money to foreign countries. 1% on foreign aid is a lot of money.

Personally, I feel that the money is better given to private organizations such as DWB, Red Cross and World Vision. By money given I mean by you or I giving 5% of our salary to a foundation that already has the infrastructure there to do its good.

The government's job is to make sure its own country has all its needs met.

the government's responsibility is to make sure the needs and desires of its CITIZENS are met.

and i think it's fair to say the vast ma7ority support government spending on foreign initiatives that promote prosperity among the most poor.

@ nbcrusader: weren´t we discussing about what parts of the Scriptures are the most important ones?

"It’s not a coincidence that in the Scriptures, poverty is mentioned more than 2,100 times. It’s not an accident. That’s a lot of air time, 2,100 mentions. [You know, the only time Christ is judgmental is on the subject of the poor.] ‘As you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.’ (Matthew 25:40)."

(Bono in the linked article)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
@ nbcrusader: weren´t we discussing about what parts of the Scriptures are the most important ones?

"It’s not a coincidence that in the Scriptures, poverty is mentioned more than 2,100 times. It’s not an accident. That’s a lot of air time, 2,100 mentions. [You know, the only time Christ is judgmental is on the subject of the poor.] ‘As you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.’ (Matthew 25:40)."

(Bono in the linked article)

Yes, we should each look at how our own lives are blessed and be willing to help those in need.

Of the many things repeated in Scripture, helping the poor is certainly one of them.

Meh :shrug: ...there will always be haters, there will always be pessimist who scream "IT WON'T WORK" while the optimist are busy finding different solutions.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion - even if it's ignorant, hateful, and based on their dislike of Bono. :madwife: :tongue:

Earnie Shavers said:
As always, it's great to head over to Free Republic to see what the Conservative nutjobs think on any particular subject. Here's their take on Bono's speech:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1570266/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1570310/posts

I once joined that board, just to respond to something that was said(I can't even remember what it was, nothing U2 related)

I was banned after one post-they don't take kindly to hearing a dissenting opinion.

They seem to be obsessed with bono there, just do a search.

And I swear , in every U2 thread theres at least 3 who post "Bono? wasn't he married to Cher?"

Last edited:
djfeelgood said:
While in no way do I doubt Bono's dedication to his cause. (I truly think he is a noble man for his humanitarian efforts.
I feel that it is not the governments duty to dedicate the money to foreign countries. 1% on foreign aid is a lot of money.

It may indeed not be governments "duty". But there are many arguements for why it's a good idea. :)

U2Girl1978 said:

Wow, it's really amazing how many ignorant people there are with the type of replies that have been given there. :tsk:

They're horrible. Someone referred to him as a "paddy" as well.

MrBrau1 said:

WOW!

The ignorance and hate is astounding.

I hope I never really need the help of my fellow Americans. Sounds like I'll be given a middle finger and exaust fumes as a BMW pulls away.

What baffles me is: Where does all this hate come from? :scratch:

Bono hasn't had a go on conservatives or republicans since Bullet the Blue Sky?!

Maybe they're just full of prejudices :tsk:

Like Bono said, there are laws of man, and then there are higher laws that we all will have to answer to sooner or later, regardless of our nationality or religion.. I don't see where all the hate is coming from either. Bono is trying, with the help of a whole lot of willing people, to do something worthy, to help those who desperately need it in Africa.

[q]Bono's Best Sermon Yet

Soujourner's Magazine, February 03, 2006

Jim Wallis

The National Prayer Breakfast is normally a time for reaffirming spiritual truths and testifying to the power of faith in people's individual lives, but not so much a moment for prophetic and controversial social utterances. There have been exceptions - when Sen. Mark Hatfield spoke courageously about the moral "shame" of the Vietnam War in the presence of Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger (I know a lot about that prayer breakfast speech because I helped write it when I was a seminarian in Chicago); when Mother Theresa spoke about the sacredness of life and raised the issue of abortion with the Clintons on hand; and yesterday, when Bono spoke like a modern-day prophet about extreme global poverty and pandemic disease and called upon the American government, with George Bush and Congressional leaders present, to do much more.

The speech, published below, was the most explicit about religion and the role of faith that I had ever heard Bono deliver, and his insistence on the biblical requirements of justice and not just charity was reiterated over and over again. In a small session with religious editors afterward, Bono spoke about how the churches had led on the issue of debt cancellation with the Jubilee 2000 campaign, on HIV/AIDS, and now on global poverty reduction. "You're the bigger crowd," he said, "much more than my stadium audiences." He said the church will just hear "fanfare" from musicians.

But Bono is offering far more than fanfare, as his talk below demonstrates. To the religious editors he stressed how the justice issue is "really it," and said that the churches had to figure out how to make that clear to people and that "movement is the way" we will finally succeed. Bono said he believed that something is moving now and we have to create the momentum to accomplish our goals. On the way to the car afterward, we spoke together about how really crucial that movement building is, how nothing else will suffice to make the changes in our world that are so vitally and morally necessary, and how the strategy in the religious community is so key. We also talked about the Isaiah 58 passage he had quoted in his speech - that when we respond to the poor as the prophet instructs, "God will cover your back." This is one speech you will want to read and pass on to your friends.

www.atu2.com

[/q]

You know, he may have posed with Bush and shook his hand for the photo op which turns people off completely, but the speech, aside from being rather heartfelt and inspiring, was basically a bitchslap and a dare.

Reminded me why I love Bono :heart:

Back
Top Bottom