Bono wants a United States of Africa...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Bono wants United States of Africa: newspaper
1 day ago

TOKYO (AFP) — Pop star and activist Bono has called for the creation of a United States of Africa, saying that a pan-continental identity would serve as a catalyst for resolving its conflicts.

The U2 frontman, who was in Japan to take part in a major development conference last week, said that a United States of Africa "would be the dream" in the long term.

"I think a kind of broader African identity is going to be very important to deal with tribal tensions," Bono told Tuesday's Asahi Shimbun, where he served as a guest-editor for a special Africa edition on Saturday.

The Irish rock star said that developing a broader identity may seem largely "poetic," but has been proven successful.

"Irish people used to always have a little giggle when they would see Americans saluting their flags in schools, and then the whole standing there, singing the flag thing," Bono said.

"But as you get to know a little bit more about things, you start to think, ah, there's so many different tribal groups in the United States, that to create a national identity of that size, they had to really work at this kind of patriotism," he said.

The African Union was created in 2002 with inspiration from the European Union, but critics say the body has lacked the funds and political will to take effective action on the continent's flashpoints.

It intervened in 2004 in the strife-torn western Sudanese region of Darfur, but has relinquished leadership to the United Nations to form a joint peacekeeping force.

However, an African Union-backed force in March for the first time removed a renegade leader in an intervention in the Comoros island of Anjouan.

:eyebrow: Thoughts...or is my beloved reaching to far?

I don't see why this is negative. We all know Bono is a big fan of community and net-working. IF something like that can work out and improve the lives of people, I don't see why this should be a bad concept. People HAVE to work together to overcome tensions and solve problems.

Maybe Bono isn't using the right words, but he's a visionary and sometimes a little over the top in his enthusiasm. It's not on him to make decisions like this anyway, but I think the concept is worth thinking about.

By the way, this idea isn't new, he's spoken of it before. Bono has more insight into African issues than most of us here, he must really believe in such a concept to talk about it like that.

What's funny is that a lot of people (ignorantly) think of Africa as one single entity already...

YouTube - bob marley africa united

this is not Bono's...or even Bob's, idea, nor a new one*, not by a long shot....so it makes one wonder why it can't happen, what's the real reason? I'd argue it has little to do with tribal differences, really.

*most credit Marcus Garvey with the first public call for the United States of Africa, in his 1924 poem entitled "Hail, United States of Africa". His desire, as expressed in his editorial in Negro World was that the "union must know no clime, boundary, or nationality… let us hold together under all climes and in every country".

The poem read:

Hail! United States of Africa-free!
Hail! Motherland most bright, divinely fair!
State in perfect sisterhood united,
Born of truth; mighty thou shalt ever be.

Hail! Sweet land of our father’s noble kin!
Let joy within thy bounds be ever known;
Friend of the wandering poor, and helpless, thou,
Light to all, such as freedom’s reigns within.
From Liberia’s peaceful western coast
To the foaming Cape at the southern end,
There’s but one law and sentiment sublime,
One flag, and its emblem of which we boast.
The Nigerias are all united now,
Sierra Leone and the Gold Coast, too.
Gambia, Senegal, not divided,
But in one union happily bow.
The treason of the centuries is dead,
All alien whites are forever gone;
The glad home of Sheba is once more free,
As o’er the world the black n-tan raised his head.
Bechuanaland, a State with Kenya,
Members of the Federal Union grand,
Send their greetings to sister Zanzibar,
Over in Grand Mother Mozambique,
The pretty Union Flag floats in the air,
She is sister to good Somaliland,
Smiling with the children of Dahomey.
Three lusty cheers for old Basutoland,
Timbuctoo, Tunis and Algeria,
Uganda, Kamerun, all together
Are in the Union with Nyasaland.
We waited long for fiery Morocco,
Now with Guinea and Togo she has come,
All free and equal in the sisterhood,
Like Swazi, Zululand and the Congo.
There is no state left out of the Union-
The East, West, North, South, including Central,
Are in the nation, strong forever,
Over blacks in glorious dominion.
Hail! United States of Africa-free!
Country of the brave black man’s liberty;
State of greater nationhood thou hast won,
A new life for the race is just begun.

People jump on him because he's Bono. If this came from a politician, it would be different. Bono knows one or two things about these issues. And this isn't a new idea, it's not like he made that up some days ago.

People jump on him because he's Bono. If this came from a politician, it would be different.

This is true. Even if the guy is actually knowledgeable, he would probably get dismissed by many cos he is a rock star. But I really think a big reason for people hating on Bono is Bono himself. His antics, his permanent sunglasses image, he comes off too egotistic on stage! Even if he is not in real life, he comes off as having a big head. And if you ask me.. which rock star doesn't have ego, I'll point you to somebody like Bruce Springsteen. He comes off pretty humble to me, certainly a lot more than Bono. Not trying to bash Bono, simply stating what I see.

United States of Europe are forming, American Union is on the way, and now also Africa. Plan is succeeding.Globalization continues....

On a slightly more serious note, I will just add that I think what Bono was really emphasizing was a cultivation of a pan-African identity through cultural, social, political, and economic ties - more along the lines of the EU. Remember, the term "state" usually refers to countries, not like in America where they're just provinces/counties/etc within the country. So, I'm sure the African countries would remain countries (there is just no way a central government could oversee ALL of Africa), but with strong ties of interdependence and cooperation. This idea is basically what the African Union might have been if it had been able to take root, so it's definitely not a radical idea. In my opinion, this makes a lot of sense and would be an amazing goal. :up:

"I think a kind of broader African identity is going to be very important to deal with tribal tensions."

Bono, you do not understand what it is to be African. I'm sorry, you just don't.

We woulda gone United States of Australia but no one could be bothered finding a pen to sign the papers and cracked a few stubbies instead.

"I think a kind of broader African identity is going to be very important to deal with tribal tensions," Bono told Tuesday's Asahi Shimbun, where he served as a guest-editor for a special Africa edition on Saturday.

:lmao:

Ah Bono. :cute: Sorry to tell you but it doesn't work that way.

"I think a kind of broader African identity is going to be very important to deal with tribal tensions."

Bono, you do not understand what it is to be African. I'm sorry, you just don't.

Ah Bono. :cute: Sorry to tell you but it doesn't work that way.

C'mon, give the man his dues. I mean he's been to Africa TWICE. Maybe more, even. I think he even spent an entire night there, one time.

What's funny is that a lot of people (ignorantly) think of Africa as one single entity already...

Tell me about it. :banghead:

The continent (let's not even talk about the countries comprising it) has been culturally fractured for centuries - and that's not about to change any time soon. Africa simply cannot be united in the way that Europe or America are united. Tribal rivalry is a fact of African life. Take away tribalism, and you take away an integral part of African identity. Yes, it causes major problems in politics, but it's the way it has always been. It will not change.

C'mon, give the man his dues. I mean he's been to Africa TWICE. Maybe more, even. I think he even spent an entire night there, one time.

Back
Top Bottom