Bono Spoke yesterday and we here in FYM....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Continue to debate each other, trying to be right.....your wrong....I'm right......

and making it PERSONAL veiling our comments so we don't get banned or in trouble with the mods.

Bono Spoke yesterday........any thoughts?

brighton, england. the labor party convention. transcript is on the data site.

re: dreadsox, i havent read his text but im sure someone will love to come here and tell us bono should shut his trap;)

The Text is on the front page of Interference.com, Maybe you have heard of that web page?:wink:

LOL! Dread, I didn't see this thread and posted in your Africa Help! one!

I think Bono has become an amazing speaker and I just don't find anything to argue with him about when it comes to justice for Africa. I just watch how little effect it has in the news media and how slow this process of putting out the fire is.

I'm glad that he pointed out that he sees people working hard to do something because I don't.

I also hate how quickly these threads fall down the board without much response.

Dreadsox said:
The lack of response in here is remarkable!

What is there to say? I read it. I agreed with it.

There's really nothing to debate with the speech.

You started this thread, so why don't you say what you think?

I am not very political but he is just so inspiring. I have joined DATA which is one of the topics at tonights Presidential debate and I totally agree with him. Why can't people just help? America, where I live, is one of the richest countries in the world. The war in Iraq is costing millions of dollars and too many lives but we can't help? I know we did cancel some of the debt but we can't do more? We send space ships into outer space and have a space program that costs billions of dollars, are we going some where? Leaving Earth to live on Mercury? I am not saying that it is not important but could we spend less and spend more on problems on this planet instead.

He is a terrific speaker (beginning of his speech is repetitive to a lot of his other speeches) and I hope he reaches people like he's reached me over the years.

By the way, I can't spell so forgive any errors.

Yeah, basically no one here is going to disagree that Bono's speech was brilliant, it was a hit, and even the most hard-boiled cynics in the press seem to have liked it.

I cannot picture anyone giving the speech to our political leaders here in the states.

It was quite moving reading it.

Verte and Anne, hearts thanks for your responses.

Dreadsox said:
I cannot picture anyone giving the speech to our political leaders here in the states.

It was quite moving reading it.

Verte and Anne, hearts thanks for your responses.

I thought it was a great forum. There is more to Bono than his great, sexy looks.

I know this is bad, I know Bono was speaking, but I didn't read the text. It's great that he's spreading the word but he's spreading it to the people that need to hear it -- those who haven't heard it before. Great for him, but repetitive for me.

I guess I'm a cold heartless bitch. ;)

You might be right that one of the reason people don't 'argue' about it is because most of us agree. But I was also surprised at the lack of reaction to it in general. I saw one thread, and then I realize it was in PLEBA and everybody was talking about Bono's hair...

But then again I didn't write anything either so... I think everyone is just really into the new album excitment mood and Edge hanging out here and all.

I think this is the best speech he's ever made. And believe me, I've read or heard them all. His speeches are often similar, but they are really getting better and better. Lots of new elements in this one too.

I just can't over how inspiring this man is. This speech literally got me to tears. And not because Africa is so poor and our world is so terrible and all, these are things that I've been 'struggling' with for a while, let's say. But Bono has this incredible ability to actually make me believe that it's possible to change things. He has this sort of 'pragmatic idealism' way of seeing things.

I don't agree with everything he says, but I am in awe of the fact the he's able to convince the most unlikely people (like Jesse Helms).

Anyways, I could go on forever about this speech and how Bono is my absolute mentor... I realize it's my first post here in FYM, which is surprising because I'm obessessed with politics:shifty:

But amazing speech, absolutely amazing. It's a bit long, but very worth it.

Sure I have read it, Dreadsox :)

I think it is a fine speech and I hope it will be effective to some extent.

oceane said:
Anyways, I could go on forever about this speech and how Bono is my absolute mentor... I realize it's my first post here in FYM, which is surprising because I'm obessessed with politics:shifty:

:up: and it was an excellent post oceane. Bono is my absolute mentor too!

Dreadsox said:

He did give a testimony to the Senate Appropriations Foreign Operations Subcommittee in May.

http://www.data.org/archives/000502.php

It is about time for him to give a similiar speech in the states, and I bet he would have loved to have at the DNC & RNC. Here, the issue isn't getting that much floor time.

I hope to hear something during tonight's debate.

oceane said:

Uh oh. We've roped in another one.

They had excerpts of it to view here on Comcast.

Great speech. There was nothing to argue with. It made me wish he was American and could run for president. :wink:

AvsGirl41 said:
They had excerpts of it to view here on Comcast.

Great speech. There was nothing to argue with. It made me wish he was American and could run for president. :wink:

"Bono for President", quoted many times. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him then our canidates now.

I think the important thing is not how BRILLIANT of a speaker Bono is or how EXCELLENT the speech was, but what will this speech of Bono's do to MOTIVATE EACH ONE OF US TO DO MORE TO SAVE AFRICA'S FUTURE? :wink:

Spending time simply posting about the B-man and Africa's challenges will not do much concrete to solve the issues that Bono speaks about, RECOMMITTING OUR ACTIONS TO DO MORE GOOD FOR AFRICA WILL!

For some of us who have been aware and active for some years now regarding the issues for Africa that Bono speaks about, all this speech does is highlight the fact that not enough has been done to help Africa, which is on the brink of social chaos due to the AIDS pandemic. :(

So, I do not comment too much anymore about how GREAT BONO WAS or how INSPIRATIONAL his speech was because I am too busy working towards the day when Africa has a positive Future and the B-man doesn't have to give these speeches anymore!

But I appreciate your newly found concern for Africa, Dreadsox - please don't lose it. Africa needs your Love and concern for her.:hug:

I bet BONO SMILES IN HIS HEART AND SOUL when he sees us, the U2 community, stand up and support him with our actions for Africa.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I am not sure I would call it newfound. I was on the team, but sitting on the sidelines. I would say I am coming off the bench and getting in the game.

Let's get real here on a couple of things - let's get to some uncomfortable truths.

Let's be clear about what this problem is and what this problem isn't.

Firstly, this is not about charity, it's about justice.

Let me repeat that:

This is not about charity, this is about justice.

And that's too bad.

Because you're good at charity. The British, like the Irish, are good at it. Even the poorest neighbourhoods give more than they can afford.

We like to give, and we give a lot. But justice is a tougher standard. Africa makes a fool of our idea of justice; it makes a farce of our idea of equality.
It mocks our pieties,
it doubts our concern,
it questions our commitment.

Because there's no way we can look at Africa- a continent bursting into flames -and if we're honest conclude that it would ever be allowed to happen anywhere else.
Anywhere else.
Certainly not here.
In Europe.
Or America.
Or Australia, or Canada.

There's just no chance.

You see, deep down, if we really accepted that Africans were equal to us, we would all do more to put the fire out.

We've got watering cans; when what we really need are the fire brigades.

That's the first tough truth.

Dreadsox said:
This is not about charity, this is about justice.

I think it needs repeating again. :yes:

I have never felt like I am living history as I am right now. This is so big. It is so unbelievable that it continues to miss the news day after day. I just imagine 20 years from now reading history books and it will be crystal clear then how wrong our countries slow reactions are. I hope we start picking up the pace.

This is not just heart - it's smart.

This is not about 'doing our best.'
It's win or lose.
Life or death.
Literally so.

We are the first generation that can look extreme and stupid poverty in the eye, look across the water to Africa and elsewhere and say this and mean it:
we have the cash,
we have the drugs,
we have the science -- but do we have the will?

Do we have the will to make poverty history?

Some say we can't afford to.
I say we can't afford not to.

I think it has taken a while for me to get that point. Sadly, I felt that it was charity. Maybe I am becoming thick headed in my old age.

Peace

Dreadsox said:
I think it has taken a while for me to get that point. Sadly, I felt that it was charity. Maybe I am becoming thick headed in my old age.

Peace

Not thick headed Dread - more like everyone else. A large % of the population just doesn't see this as justice or an emergency. :(

I think the world leaders are ready if the people stand up. I don't know why the world leaders aren't leading - it seems that they need the people to direct them to focus. Why doesn't President Bush do a press conference telling America what we need to do and ask for support? Canada has been the leader, and know it looks like the UK is the next in line if Blair & Brown come through as they appear to be doing.

I think the next step is media. People need to be informed daily about this emergency and that we aren't helping as much as we should. People need to be informed daily and realize that it isn't charity. It would be great if a Politician would step up to vocally campaign for support. A lot of them are saying they are committed - but the results aren't moving fast enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom