Bono gets in shouting match at TED conference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Varitek said:

In terms of Edun as a model business model, I'm not sure about that.

Edun is profitable, so I don't see why the next up-and-coming clothing companies can't contract with the same factories(which use local suppliers) that Edun uses. That would start the trickle of expanding the industries in those regions.

Varitek said:
p.s. I agree, Edun's clothes are not made for curvey women. Excuse me if I look like I went through puberty. On the other hand with T-shirts I always go for a child's medium or large. And my, say, Red Sox jersey t-shirt in a child's medium is the same size as my U2 women's small t-shirts anyway.

:giggle:

The first time I took the U2 t shirt in my hands, the first thing was to check the production location. I was far too surprised that I fit the medium size one. It's not the European nor America size should be, but actually Asian size standard. By the same time, the quality of the t shirt really made me cringe.

But last year, I found that actually Asian size turned even smaller, and now I fit both M-L-XL size, depends on the brand of the cloth. Two years ago, I fit in S-M size. So I guess the American size shrinked as well?

This is very interesting, and I of course agree with Bono for the most part, but there is some new good technology coming out of South Africa especially... I am typing this from an operating system created by native South African Mark Shuttleworth.

Mark Shuttleworth...

I think you're using Ubuntu, right?

Ubuntu is a linux based operating system, linux itself isn't from S. Africa.

Gonna try it when I got a spare computer though, currently I could only work on my laptop, and if I screwed it up, I'd cry.:wink:

ntalwar said:

Edun is profitable, so I don't see why the next up-and-coming clothing companies can't contract with the same factories(which use local suppliers) that Edun uses. That would start the trickle of expanding the industries in those regions.

Because other models are more profitable and clothing companies owned by not Bono just don't care? I know that's cynnical but it's true.

Plus Edun just took a hit - Sak's 5th avenue discontinued them. Lucky for me that meant that on Friday I acquired 2 Edun tshirts (in medium and strangely a large that is tighter than the medium...I usually wear a small if it's a tshirt btw) for 27$ each (retail is $75). That is the only way I could ever afford Edun.

Varitek said:

Because other models are more profitable and clothing companies owned by not Bono just don't care?

Perhaps production and distribution from elsewhere is cheaper, but I'd have to see the cost numbers. Higher tarriffs and quotas for African nations are also a factor which Bono has spoken out against, but it's up to the politicians to change that. I'm not sure why "not caring" is a factor, because according to Edun they are not a charity but rather a for-profit business.

Varitek said:

Plus Edun just took a hit - Sak's 5th avenue discontinued them. Lucky for me that meant that on Friday I acquired 2 Edun tshirts (in medium and strangely a large that is tighter than the medium...I usually wear a small if it's a tshirt btw) for 27$ each (retail is $75). That is the only way I could ever afford Edun.

:shocked: no wonder I couldn't find any Edun products the last time I went!! That is a shame.

Back
Top Bottom