Bono and the Global Fund

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
We all know that Bono has long been a supporter of the U.N.'s Global Fund to fight AIDS, Malaria and TB (http://www.theglobal fund.org).

He has highlighted The Global Fund as being the world's best vehicle for eradicating the causes of death for millions of the world's poorest people.

Last month, Bono along with Nelson Mandela and several other well-known people sent a letter to the governments of ten countries around the world to increase their contributions to The Global Fund. This was the result:

http://www.theglobalfund.org/en/media_center/press/pr_041007.asp

Congratulations to Bono, Nelson Mandela and everyone else who joined this appeal. :applaud:

Their continued vigilance and advocacy for international programs that fight extreme poverty and preventable diseases in our world IS MAKING A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE!

And for that I am grateful. :up:

Just thought y'all might want to know.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
:hug:

BostonAnne, we can only hope! :wink:

Of course, the U.K. has been very strong in its continued monetary support of The Global Fund and very progressive in its debt cancellation policies for the poorest countries.

Right now, Tony Blair and Bob Geldof along with the U.K.'s Commission for Africa are in Ethiopia for a series of meetings with African leaders to try to come up with a more integrated plan of action to help Africa MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.:up:

Here are some links from DATA regarding these meetings:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3722534.stm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041007/325/f438j.html

And check out the discussion in EYKIW about the awarding of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize to Kenyan activist Wangari Maathai.:hug:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;) :angel:

Katey, just trying to be helpful in keeping the issues that are MOST IMPORTANT TO THE B-MAN alive in FYM.:up:

As you know, this is SERIOUS stuff.

As Bono sadly mentioned in the speech he gave at the Labour Party conference a few days ago, the development situation in Africa is VERY GRAVE.

Bono reminded us that at the rate the world is funding the struggle to meet the Millenium Development Goals to half world poverty by 2015, it will take to nearlly 2115 to reach those goals! :tsk: :(

To many of us, that timeline is JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE.

So I keep trying to keep bringing important info to FYM to help us all stay up to date with what's happening in the struggle to MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.:wink:

This is of utmost importance to Bono and to many of us here and around the world.

The lives and futures of millions of innocent people are hanging in the balance. Let's help them. :yes:

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Thanks, Katey, for your input. :wink:

Ultimately, the most important thing here is for each one of us to GET INVOLVED in the Global Justice movement.

That is something VERY CLOSE TO BONO'S HEART and I'm sure it elevates him when he knows that there are those of us out here who not only talk the talk of admiring his humanitarianism, but are willing to WALK THE WALK with him! :angel:

Feel free to use this thread to post anything of relevance, Katey.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

But you and I were already aware of these problems irrespective of Bono's involvment.
Anyway what I would really like to know is this. Are all these issues a genuine concern, or are we just saying all this stuff about Aids etc because Bono says so? I hope it is not the latter......

Last edited:
There is a difference between being aware of a problem and taking action. If Bono can get people to get up and take action then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and those that do get up have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

But that's the point, people already are aware of the problem. Are you going to say that you wouldn't know about the AIDS problems\other shit if Bono didn't create the 'awareness?' Comeon......:| I sure as hell already knew there was a huge problem. But my point is I don't think people that say they are concerned about the problem are actually genuine, they just say they are concerned because Bono is doing all the campaigning. If Bono didn't campaign, people like us would still be aware, but we wouldn't do anything about it or get all passionate about it. I'm still all for it, I'm not condemning it! But I'm just pointing out that many many people wouldn't be taking action for the problems or be passionate about solving all the the problems Bono want's solved if Bono himself didn't really care about it. They still have their 'awareness' if Bono wasn't campaigning though. See my point? Pretty easy to understand.

I see your point, but I am not sure that it has any relevence here other than calling some members poseurs on the issue because Bono is involved.

I felt like pointing that out, I've heard less relevant things on other threads than this! But I'm all for Bono's work, even if it means turning people (usually crazed fan's like us) to Bono's side even though we don't REALLY concern ourselves with it. But the end result is still good so I have no problem with it!
DOWN WITH AIDS AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF BONO DOESN'T LIKE!!:wink:

You know, I hope every forum here at Interference doesn't start becoming as confrontational as what is happening over in Don't Expect....

I am not a confrontational person at heart so that is why I did not post in that infamous discussion over there. :ohmy:

But I think the folks posting here are referring to me (maybe Katey) so I guess for about the fourth time in these forums I will give y'all my "resume" on Africa.

I have been an African activist for over 25 years (yes, I'm that old). During the 1980's I was an active participant in the anti-apartheid movement in my area of the USA and have participated in and contributed to MANY various organizations over the last 25 years who do advocacy and humanitarian work in Africa. :up:

I first came to love Africa thirty years ago when I took a World Cultures class on Africa in high school. I fell in love with her People, her history (the history of humankind) and her various cultures.

My first awareness of U2 was in 1980 when I first heard "Boy" - I became a confirmed U2 follower in 1981. SO MY LOVE OF AFRICA PRECEDED MY LOVE OF U2! :yes:

to be cont'd

Jamila said:

I have been an African activist for over 25 years (yes, I'm that old). During the 1980's I was an active participant in the anti-apartheid movement in my area of the USA and have participated in and contributed to MANY various organizations over the last 25 years who do advocacy and humanitarian work in Africa. :up:

I first came to love Africa thirty years ago when I took a World Cultures class on Africa in high school. I fell in love with her People, her history (the history of humankind) and her various cultures.

Blessings, Sister - much Respect :up:

Thank you for the acknowledgement and support, whenhiphopdrovethebigcars.

I try not to toot my own horn about my personal connection to Africa because I want to keep the focus on Africa, definitely not me.

But I have many friends there and have lost many friends there from AIDS and just feel a responsibility to honor their memories by doing EVERYTHING I can to inform others and hopefully to MOTIVATE OTHERS to sincerely GET INVOLVED in the Global AIDS struggle. :yes:

For that enthusiasm, I have often been misunderstood - but I try to take it in stride because my purpose is genuine and God knows my heart.

Take good care.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:love:

Jamila, I would like you to write a mail to kwikstep1 (at) gmx (dot) net .. let´s talk.

"Its all about connecting people who have been disconnected" (George Clinton - mind you, the musician) :) :wave:

Back
Top Bottom