"Bomb Mecca"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the threat from islamic terrorism is a paradox. do nothing? they attack. go after them? they attack.

the "war on terror" has done significant damage to the abilities of al qaeda and other large groups of islamic terrorists to cause massive, spectacular attacks abroad.

the problem is that the anger and resentment over the "war on terror," while damaging the huge core groups, has created many more smaller groups who are content with small, soft target attacks as opposed to the large scale, 9/11 style.

do nothing, the big attacks will continue. attack them, the small attacks will grow in numbers. the answer? who the fuck knows.

martha said:

I heard those same warnings in London in 1977. It shames me that my country has conducted itself in such a way to be in the same situation.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to examine the causes of this behavior as well as the symptoms?

And for the record, Steve was in London that day. When the airline agent assured me he'd made his flight for Prague, he was mildly surprised when I broke down.
Yes it would, and pumping billions of dollars into the House of Saud and keeping dictators in charge in the name of stability should be adressed.

While I do think there is an actual legitimate thread of violence, I just don't see why we should worry about it, and it be used as a pawn or soapbox for every politician to stand on and give his opinion.

There is a difference between being aware and being in fear, because a bag is left unattended, or a muslim group is on a plane with you.

These incidents were ones off, and yet they are replayed and used as evidence for further terrorism, when really, its no where near the magnitude they like us to think.

dazzlingamy said:
These incidents were ones off, and yet they are replayed and used as evidence for further terrorism, when really, its no where near the magnitude they like us to think.

i agree, but this does not mean that the threat is completely manufactured.

i agree with that! i don't believe its imagined, but I believe it something that doesn't need to be trotted out at every press confernece, and i think its about time Homeland secuirty dropped there threat level from "elevated" or perhaps, even do away with it? I just think its continuing this circle of fear and a forboding 'what if' type of attitude that is not helping anything.

Back
Top Bottom