"Blessed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blessed"

redhotswami said:

aww!!! stop making me cry!!!! :hug: I'm glad to have helped. and feel free to e-mail me anytime you want to chat. you are definitely making steps to help yourself as well. keep it up! im so proud of you.

Thank you :hug:

I also believe my dogs are blessings, the happiest thing in my life. I am always afraid of losing the place where I live and having to go homeless and losing them. That would break my heart and theirs. That would be the saddest thing to me. I couldn't live with myself if they became victims of my failures :(

80sU2isBest said:

While I do not believe that God promises his children material wealth, I do not think it is a bad thing to make a lot of money. God entrusts people with money so that they can use it for his purposes and help others. Having money is an opportunity - an opportunity to serve God.

Then would you please explain why He allows some of the greediest people have it, while most of the more kind hearted ones are left poor? Most rich people, especially corporate and business types, have cold hearts toward people so they can go ahead and make the money they do. Feeling sorry for people means they have less. I don't believe God would want that. (For example, a credit card company that refuses to reduce your interest and give you lower payments, keeps dumping higher fees on you, then sueing you and taking your paycheck when it's so insurmountable you can't pay, or a landlord who throws you out when you can't pay the whole owed amount, even though he's a church deacon, I've experienced both, and the corporate world is even worse!)

I have always wondered why the 'wrong' people are rich. I have spoken to so many people who feel so much for the poor, and many are poor, or have been. They always say, like I do, that if I had the money, I'd do all I can to help, but most of the rich people in a position to help don't and don't care!

This is why I believe God has nothing to do with money, and the reason most of the richer people are more ruthless is because they are the types who are able to stomp on everyone's back to get to where they are, while the ones who have less don't have it in them. Then once people have money, they have this attitude like that if they did it, and somebody else didn't, the other person must therefore be lazy/worthless/stupid and doesn't deserve it, and maybe desreves to be taken for a ride? I have also heard some people say that a certain number of people must remain underlings for society to function, and some must be left in the dust along the way! Then they get all defensive, it's my money, I worked for it, I don't owe it to anyone, etc. The people with the giving consciences don't usually seem to get rich.

So sorry, I can't believe God wants certain people to be rich, because if He did, he'd surely 'bless' the people with the hearts and minds to help the poor, and not the greedy businessmen who only hurt the downtrodden even more!

Last edited:
Butterscotch said:

Then would you please explain why He allows some of the greediest people have it, while most of the more kind hearted ones are left poor? Most rich people, especially corporate and business types, have cold hearts toward people so they can go ahead and make the money they do. Feeling sorry for people means they have less. I don't believe God would want that. (For example, a credit card company that refuses to reduce your interest and give you lower payments, keeps dumping higher fees on you, then sueing you and taking your paycheck when it's so insurmountable you can't pay, or a landlord who throws you out when you can't pay the whole owed amount, even though he's a church deacon, I've experienced both, and the corporate world is even worse!)

I have always wondered why the 'wrong' people are rich. I have spoken to so many people who feel so much for the poor, and many are poor, or have been. They always say, like I do, that if I had the money, I'd do all I can to help, but most of the rich people in a position to help don't and don't care!

This is why I believe God has nothing to do with money, and the reason most of the richer people are more ruthless is because they are the types who are able to stomp on everyone's back to get to where they are, while the ones who have less don't have it in them. Then once people have money, they have this attitude like that if they did it, and somebody else didn't, the other person must therefore be lazy/worthless/stupid and doesn't deserve it, and maybe desreves to be taken for a ride? I have also heard some people say that a certain number of people must remain underlings for society to function, and some must be left in the dust along the way! Then they get all defensive, it's my money, I worked for it, I don't owe it to anyone, etc. The people with the giving consciences don't usually seem to get rich.

So sorry, I can't believe God wants certain people to be rich, because if He did, he'd surely 'bless' the people with the hearts and minds to help the poor, and not the greedy businessmen who only hurt the downtrodden even more!

I've never said that all people who have money get that money with God's help. God has given people free will; some people use that free will to steal, cheat, do anything to get ahead. God doesn't step in and stop people from exercising their free will.

Even if someone earns beu coup of money legitimately, that person can still use his free will to spend the money selfishly.

God knows everyone's heart; if someone wants to be rich for selfish reasons, God will not help him get rich. If he gets rich, he does it on his own.

I am not saying that all people with good intentions will get rich. What I am saying is that if someone is doing God's will, money is a gift. How do I know that? Because the Bible says so. The Bible says that all good gifts come from God. Money in the hands of a good person with the right motivations is a gift. Money in the hands of a wicked person with the wrong motivations is not a gift; it is a curse.

80sU2isBest said:

Money in the hands of a wicked person with the wrong motivations is not a gift; it is a curse.

And sometimes money itself can be a curse, regardless of the character of the person who gets it. Anyone ever read The Pearl by John Steinbeck?

It'll make you think twice about the assumption so many of us seem to have that attaining "fame and fortune" can only be a good thing.

I'm also kind of done railing against the "greedy" rich people, because I've come to the conclusion, that unless you're posting from your cardboard shack in a teeming favela of Rio or slum in Manila or shantytown in Bangladesh or refugee camp in Africa, you're already among the top 10% wealthiest people in the world. So my guess, is most of us, are really quite rich and whatever burdens and condemnations we would place on those who rank higher than us on the socioeconomic scale, should also fall on us as well.

I think it's fairly safe to say we're all rich, folks.

Interesting thread. I've enjoyed all the posts so far.

Interesting thread. I've liked what people have to say! I think it is interesting that so many people in the world think that money=happiness and maybe some people are blessed or did something right in order to get so much cash. Like someone posted earlier money can be a curse. Look at hollywood. So many desire to have fame and fortune and to live the good life, unfortunatly what is not as easy to see is the lonliness, depression, broken relationships, greed, envy, medicated existance, and being unable to be content that can go along with "being blessed wtih lots of money."

Would I trade my simple life for that? Not in a million years. Why not? Becuase I believe that most blessings are not monetary...that I have been blessed with an amazing husband, trustworthy friends, a desire to give to others, and contentment. Money would ruin all that.

There are some people I do believe that God has blessed with gobs of money...people who turn right around and give it away. I think God knows that deep down I may not be able to do that which is why I am not one of those people! :wink:

drdre12 said:

There are some people I do believe that God has blessed with gobs of money...people who turn right around and give it away. I think God knows that deep down I may not be able to do that which is why I am not one of those people! :wink:

Interesting thought. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

Originally posted by drdre12 There are some people I do believe that God has blessed with gobs of money...people who turn right around and give it away. [/B]

You and I agree on this.

Our rewards will come to us if we deserve them. One must be patient and trust that God is looking down upon us and He will see if we are worthy.

Earthly possessions can be acquired either by good fortune or by working very hard to get them, but they are only objects, and you cannot take them to the afterlife.

The true blessing comes in your afterlife, and only if you deserve it.

Amra said:
Our rewards will come to us if we deserve them. One must be patient and trust that God is looking down upon us and He will see if we are worthy.

Earthly possessions can be acquired either by good fortune or by working very hard to get them, but they are only objects, and you cannot take them to the afterlife.

The true blessing comes in your afterlife, and only if you deserve it.

What can we do so that we make sure we are one of those who deserve rewards?

80sU2isBest said:

What can we do so that we make sure we are one of those who deserve rewards?

Well, you can't EXPECT to be rewarded, now can you? That would be cheating. :)

But I believe that if you're good and kind to others and try to do something with your life that's useful for other people - like Bono is doing - then there's no reason you shouldn't be rewarded.

Amra said:

Well, you can't EXPECT to be rewarded, now can you? That would be cheating. :)

But I believe that if you're good and kind to others and try to do something with your life that's useful for other people - like Bono is doing - then there's no reason you shouldn't be rewarded.

What would you say is doing good?

Back
Top Bottom