Blasphemy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onegirl

The Fly
Hi everyone,

I do not often post on Interference but regularly visit this thread, as I find it interesting. I am questioning my faith at the moment (as in "getting back into believing"), and the topics here help.

Today I was reproached by a colleague that I used the expression "Oh my God" and that it offended her, that it was blasphemy and that she would appreciate it if I could refrain from using it in front of her. I do really like this girl, and respect her views and faith, I told her so and told her I would make a conscious effort of not using this expression in front of her.

I don't know how to express how I feel, I guess I that I never (perhaps naively) thought I was blaspheming, I was not accusing God of bad things or calling him a bad name, it is an expression that was used in my familly all the time (I was raised a Catholic) of either astonishment or despair, really. I guess I never thought of it as an "bad word". Is this blasphemy? Am I therefore a sinner? I feel bad now, because it was never my aim to belittle God's name... Is she showing me true Christian values? What do you people think? Am I a bad person for using this expression?

Many may consider this a violation of the 4th Commandment, which reads as follows:

"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7 NRSV

I doubt you were trying to offend God or misuse His name, but modern colloquialisms certainly have reduced the Lord's name to meaningless interjections. Falling into the world’s patterns can mean falling away from what honors God.

It's not blasphemy, at least not the way I undersand it (saying God said something he didn't; twisting God's words; omitting what God did say), it falls under "taking the Lord's name in vain" and I guess you're not suppose to say it unless you really are calling upon the Lord at that moment. For example, when the second World Trade Center tower fell, I was in a classroom watching silently and someone whispered "oh.my.god." I think it was appropriate at that moment. If your friends gets cute shoes, responding with "oh my god! hehe" would be taking His name in vain because you're not intending to call on the Lord over some shoes. Make sense?

I hope that was not preachy! It's just the way I understand it to be. You're NOT a bad person simply for using that expression! Nobody's perfect and I certainly wouldn't judge someone based on their choice of phrases if there is no malicious intent. Personally, I try hard not to say things like that because I find it inappropriate (possibly offensive to God) and useless as far as the actual words go (like why not say "WOW" or "Hey, cute shoes!" because those things make sense). If you want true Christian values, don't worry about what your friend thinks, look to how Christ acted.

I would agree with the two posts above.

I would say it's best not to use the phrase, however, it ultimately depends on your heart too.

I don't say it, I say "your god" instead and it is blasphemy and it is one of the most wonderful things in the free world.

Yes I stand up for the right to publish such things as well as Nazi hate speech and Muslim Clerics declaring Jews to be the decendents of pigs and apes, tolerance is not about respect and I am consistent that rights are bestowed equally. Now as far as publicing that speech and calling it for what it is I am 100% supportive of that. In the case of the Mohammed Cartoons it was the right of unbelievers to have the right to publish images that Muslims consider blasphemous. In the case of David Irving it was not punishing a discredited anti-semite for his vile speech when it merely emboldens his supporters and forfeits the concept of free speech.

It might also be worth noting that the Iranian cartoons were run as a competition by the state newspaper which makes a comparison to those of the Jyllands Posten rather unequal. It is also worth noting that the Holocaust cartoons were reactive and were not met with a campaign of orhcestrated violence and death threats. The situation is effectively the same as the Satanic Versus Affair.

Last edited:
somebody got offended by "oh my god"?!

i wonder how they'd feel if someone said "GODDAMMIT!!!" or "jesus christ!" or "for chrissake!"?

:lol:

Bugger Jesus with a Pitchfork is a good one :wink:

And my toungue was firmly in my cheek, unless anybody makes that speech illegal when I mean it absolutely in principle.

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:
somebody got offended by "oh my god"?!

i wonder how they'd feel if someone said "GODDAMMIT!!!" or "jesus christ!" or "for chrissake!"?

:lol:

Is there a consistent concern about offending people with speech?

Jump between threads and I'd say the answer is "no".

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't get it, but I respect those that don't want me to say this around them...

Thank you for that. As someone who doesn't like to hear God's name in vain, I definitely respect and appreciate your thoughfulness in the matter.

I can understand your co-worker being offended by your using it since her interpretation of taking the Lord's name in vain differs from yours, but I think she was out of line for saying you committed blasphemy. Telling your co-workers they are sinners doesn't strike me as appropriate workplace behavior.

80sU2isBest said:

Thank you for that. As someone who doesn't like to hear God's name in vain, I definitely respect and appreciate your thoughfulness in the matter.

And honestly when I say I don't understand, the truth is I DO understand being offended by g*d*mn. It's just other uses, I have an aunt who's very strict about this, even when it's a heartfelt "oh my God" as a reaction to bad news. She feels it only belongs in prayer and that's it.

Its funny because I say 'oh my god' or really 'oh maaaah gaaaaaaawd' all the time, but it really is just an expression to me. But I can definately understand how it can be seen as blasphemous by religious people. It doesn't make me stop doing it, but if I was in the company of a person and they said it made them uncomfortable, I would stop doing it. But i just think its funny that I say it without even thinking about it! haha

Thank you all for your views. I can definitely say that there was nothing malicious about using this expression. I can understand that to certain people, it should be used very scarcely. It was the blasphemy bit that upset me, because in no way was it what's in my heart. Shouldn't God know that? It was like she was pointing the finger... I will try from now on, not to say it in front of her.

It is a shame because we had various discussions about faith in the past, but now I nearly feel I'm not worthy of talking about it no more because I offended her and God?

:lol: anyone watch futurama? bender and his "Oh. Your. God." :giggle:

anyway. we had a teacher in highschool who was insane about it. i mean it. she was nuts. couldn't just say calmly, "guys, i and many people in life will be deeply offended by that. please be adult enough to refrain." noooo. she had to go mental at every opportunity. i often wondered how she married up being a science teacher and a hardcore radical aggro christian, but whatever. which reminds me now of that episode of frasier with the speed dating.
:lmao:

ah, i have nothing to add to this thread beyond the wingnut science teacher and tv shows. sorry if i ever offend anyone with this, though. i say it occasionally with zero thought beforehand.

JCR said:
Just curious, but was this co-worker a mormon--or as they prefer to be called, a latter day saint?

Hi, no, she calls herself a Christian and I know she goes to Hillsong assemblies and conferences, and Ellel ministeries.

She calls herself a Christian, yes, but goes to Hillsong. Are you familiar with the cult-like evil of Hillsong? They're not Christian. They can call themselves whatever they want, but they're an insult to decent people of those faiths who make up the Christian demographic.

Actually I am not really familiar with Hillsong. I mean, she mentionned it a few times and even invited me to come along to a service once. I refused politely. She "got into it" last year, by befriending a couple of people at work who are Hillsong church-goers. I did have a sneaky look at their website but that's about it. What can you tell me about it?

"god" is a concept, not a name. there are many gods in many religions so the actual word GOD is not blasphemy.

However, in Judaism (for example) the word GOD refers to the one and only god that the jews believe in (known in the bible as YHWA or Jehovah). In that case, it is forbidden to utter the name of this god or to spell the name completely. This is why you see me write the word god as G-d - this is because I'm referring to the "jewish" god.

I hope that made sense.

In any case, I believe it is not blasphemous to say "oh my god".

But do you think that people who don't follow your faith are obliged to abide by the same tenents? Because it seems thats where the issue lies, not at people being offended at blasphemy but the idea that simply because it is offensive it has to be stopped.

AchtungBono said:
However, in Judaism (for example) the word GOD refers to the one and only god that the jews believe in (known in the bible as YHWA or Jehovah). In that case, it is forbidden to utter the name of this god or to spell the name completely. This is why you see me write the word god as G-d - this is because I'm referring to the "jewish" god.

As an aside, was it originally intended to cover all names of God, or just God's actual name, as expressed in the Tetragrammaton, "YHWH"? I think the name, "Adonai," was adopted to refer to God, but that since it was never intended to be His actual name, it could be uttered. So if my understanding is correct, I don't see why "G-d" is necessary, since that's not His real name.

I'd be interested in your opinion on what I've written. Thanks!

Melon

onegirl said:
It was the blasphemy bit that upset me, because in no way was it what's in my heart. Shouldn't God know that? It was like she was pointing the finger... I will try from now on, not to say it in front of her.

In my opinion what's in your heart and soul is far more important-the most Christian people can sometimes have the worst things come out of their mouths, and the Christians who are most careful in their speech can sometimes have less than the greatest thoughts in their minds, less than the greatest behavior and attitudes, etc. The Christians who are not as careful in their speech can sometimes be the best kinds of Christians in all other aspects. I can definitely understand you not wanting to insult your friend, but seems to me you had no intent to do so and no malicious intent whatsoever. I'm sure your friend can see what is important and good about you far beyond you uttering "oh my God"- if she can't well no offense, but I just think that's sad and unfair.

My mother is an old school Catholic, Catholic school and all. You would not believe some of what comes out of her mouth, but I've never considered her a blasphemer. I use the same sort of expressions sometimes, I do realize I should do my best not to but I slip up often. My Pastor once uttered "oh shit" before Mass once when he was setting up, in was in the basement we use in the summer and several people heard him. I thought it was funny and just made him more human. Of course that's not taking the name of God in vain and all that. I respect the right of people to be offended by it, but in the grand scheme of things for me there are so many things that are more important in anyone's conduct as a Christian.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
But do you think that people who don't follow your faith are obliged to abide by the same tenents? Because it seems thats where the issue lies, not at people being offended at blasphemy but the idea that simply because it is offensive it has to be stopped.

No, I don't think they're obliged to abide by the laws of my religion if they don't follow it. I would, however, hope that they would have enough good judgement to respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

For instance, although I don't believe in Jesus Christ as the son of god, I won't swear: "Jesus Christ!!" in the presence of someone I know is catholic and a believer. For that matter, if I have occassion to visit a church or Christian holy site, I will respect the sanctity of the site in deference to the other believers.

Couldn't agree more with Mrs. Springsteen's post.:yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom