Blasphemy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

As an aside, was it originally intended to cover all names of God, or just God's actual name, as expressed in the Tetragrammaton, "YHWH"? I think the name, "Adonai," was adopted to refer to God, but that since it was never intended to be His actual name, it could be uttered. So if my understanding is correct, I don't see why "G-d" is necessary, since that's not His real name.

I'd be interested in your opinion on what I've written. Thanks!

Melon

I believe it was intended as a blanket term for G-d, including all versions of the name.

G-d has many names in Judaism: Adonai, Elohim, YHWA, and the general term for G-d in Hebrew is: Elohim (pronounced "EL-OH-HEEM"). Religious Jews don't say Elohim but rather they add a "K" instead of an "H" (Elohim becomes EloKim).

Point of information, the literal meaning of Elohim means "many gods". Therefore the 2nd commandment which says: "thou shalt have no other gods before me" translates into "Elohim Aherim" (other gods) - in which case if a person refers to the gods of rome, greece, or any other god outside of Judaism, the word Elohim CAN be said with the "H".

When referring to the one G-d, then the word "Elokim" is used.

I hope I've expressed myself clearly........I'd be happy to clarify further if you'd like.

AchtungBono said:

No, I don't think they're obliged to abide by the laws of my religion if they don't follow it. I would, however, hope that they would have enough good judgement to respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

For instance, although I don't believe in Jesus Christ as the son of god, I won't swear: "Jesus Christ!!" in the presence of someone I know is catholic and a believer. For that matter, if I have occassion to visit a church or Christian holy site, I will respect the sanctity of the site in deference to the other believers.

I agree. It seems like it's more about respect than religious beliefs. It isn't going to kill someone to avoid saying "oh my god!" in front of people whom it offends. Why it offends them and whether or not they should be offended isn't for anyone else to decide but them. It's not like that phrase actually adds anything to the conversation. Like my mom always said to us kids "if it bugs someone, just don't do it!" :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:

I respect the right of people to be offended by it, but in the grand scheme of things for me there are so many things that are more important in anyone's conduct as a Christian.

Thanks for taking time to write. Your comments are very wise indeed, and really helped.

though I generally agree that it is better to avoid conflict and therefore to adapt your language to your surroundings one could also argue that if you have to adapt your language to everyone you better just keep your mouth shut when in a room with 30 people to avoid offending anyone

Salome said:
though I generally agree that it is better to avoid conflict and therefore to adapt your language to your surroundings one could also argue that if you have to adapt your language to everyone you better just keep your mouth shut when in a room with 30 people to avoid offending anyone

That is TRULY the best advice........thank you.

Something that initially surprised me when I moved to Mali, a country where most everyone is Muslim, is that the most common exclamations you hear are "E Allah!" or "Waalahi!" Usually said after something surprises you or you are expressing shock, sympathy, outrage, frustration or commiseration. I have no idea if this is unique to Muslims in West Africa or Muslims in general, but I found it interesting.

MsGiggles said:
I would be more offended by "Goddammit" than Oh my God

Unlike "oh my God", 'Goddammit' would be considered blasphemy because you are saying that God is damning something without any knowledge of whether or not it's true.

What I meant was, if you're going to say something that adds nothing to your point and you already know it offends something, why say it? If you're in a room of 30 people having a discussion, it's important to speak up, but shouting "oh my god!" adds nothing to your point, it has no rhetorical value.

I for one don't say Oh my God but I do say Oh my gosh or just Oh my if I feel the urge to say an Oh my anything....not because I think it's blasphemy but because I've always said it

I do say "shit" way more than I should - seems to sum up every emotion at anytime of the day :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
What I meant was, if you're going to say something that adds nothing to your point and you already know it offends something, why say it? If you're in a room of 30 people having a discussion, it's important to speak up, but shouting "oh my god!" adds nothing to your point, it has no rhetorical value.
thing is that since shouting "oh my god" indeed doesn't have any rhetorical value people use it without thinking at all
it has become part of their normal way of communication
they don't mean to offend anyone, they probably aren't even aware they could

it makes for awkward conversation if you have to self censor yourself all the time

I'm all for holding back when you are aware you will offend someone
but people should also realise that not everything is meant in an offensive way

Salome said:

I'm all for holding back when you are aware you will offend someone
but people should also realise that not everything is meant in an offensive way

I don't say it, but it doesn't offend me so much that I ask people not to say it. To me, it becomes annoying when people I know say it all like time, same as saying "like" or "you know". If it has no meaning to you, why keep saying it? But yeah, I agree, why say it if you're in a situation when you know it will be offensive? It's not censorship, but respect.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Something that initially surprised me when I moved to Mali, a country where most everyone is Muslim, is that the most common exclamations you hear are "E Allah!" or "Waalahi!" Usually said after something surprises you or you are expressing shock, sympathy, outrage, frustration or commiseration. I have no idea if this is unique to Muslims in West Africa or Muslims in general, but I found it interesting.

Perhaps I should move to Mali...

Irvine511 said:

i really don't see what's so hard about the difference between using the word "n*gger" versus "oh my god" in conversation.

They're both offensive to me.

80sU2isBest said:

Thank you for that. As someone who doesn't like to hear God's name in vain, I definitely respect and appreciate your thoughfulness in the matter.

I don't say it. It offended my grandmother. It doesn't offend me personally but I know some people who feel otherwise.

"sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

a saying to live by, if you ask me.

"offensive words" can only hurt you as much as you let them.

JMScoopy said:

I don't know that anyone said they were "hurt" by using God's name in vain. For people of faith, if they object to it, it's because they don't like the name of the God they worship being used irreverantly and distastefully. That's why I hate it so much.

JMScoopy said:

I agree.
You know, I really should share this simple axiom (that most of us learned in grade school) with the "easily offended" over there stewing in their mock indignation on the Senator Allen Exposes Himself As A Racist thread.
Naaaaah. Why bother?

Jesus was a carpenter. What to bet he hit has finger with a mallet? I bet he screamed "ME"

Dreadsox said:
Want to bet I have a migrane?
If they did for my comic timing what they evidently do for yours, I'd almost want to have more. :happy:

(And you wouldn't believe some of the things that come up on Google Images when you search with "migraine"...) :huh: (*warning: profanity*)

Last edited:
maycocksean said:
As regards the question that begins this thread, I admire that the original poster is willing to soldier on in her quest for faith despite the insensitivity and judgementalism of the Christian she spoke with.

I really don't think God's pride is so easily pricked and even the commandment was more for our benefit than because God has thin skin. So I don't worry about it too much, and I hope I would have the good sense not to lecture on this issue to someone who is expressing interest in faith.

Thank you. This is how I ended up thinking a few days after the "incident": that surely God can see what's in my heart?
I guess I'll have to find a new faith-talking buddie...!

onegirl said:
Hi everyone,

I do not often post on Interference but regularly visit this thread, as I find it interesting. I am questioning my faith at the moment (as in "getting back into believing"), and the topics here help.

Today I was reproached by a colleague that I used the expression "Oh my God" and that it offended her, that it was blasphemy and that she would appreciate it if I could refrain from using it in front of her. I do really like this girl, and respect her views and faith, I told her so and told her I would make a conscious effort of not using this expression in front of her.

I don't know how to express how I feel, I guess I that I never (perhaps naively) thought I was blaspheming, I was not accusing God of bad things or calling him a bad name, it is an expression that was used in my familly all the time (I was raised a Catholic) of either astonishment or despair, really. I guess I never thought of it as an "bad word". Is this blasphemy? Am I therefore a sinner? I feel bad now, because it was never my aim to belittle God's name... Is she showing me true Christian values? What do you people think? Am I a bad person for using this expression?

The same thing was said to me by a customer service assistant in an Australia Post-Office when i used the expression "Oh my God!" as i just realised, after waiting 10 minutes in the que , i had left my bills on the kitchen bench at home that i was going to pay over the counter.

I promptly told the woman "that's nice, then i'm sure you will understand that i mind very much that you find the need to dictate to me what i can/can't say....now if you don't mind i would like to see your supervisor!"

Onegirl,just out of curiosity.........find out if she says words like "gosh or jeez/gee!"as i would politely point out that using the words gosh is a permutation of "God" just like gee is a short-form of "Jesus".:shrug:

fly so high! said:
Onegirl,just out of curiosity.........find out if she says words like "gosh or jeez/gee!"as i would politely point out that using the words gosh is a permutation of "God" just like gee is a short-form of "Jesus".:shrug:

Heeeeee...! She DOES, actually!!! She says "gee" quite a lot.

Irvine511 said:

that's an excuse for ignorance -- gosh, i didn't intend to offend when i said "macaca" -- which is really the standard you're setting. it doesn't matter what i say, it only matters what it is i tell you i mean by what i said. because, of course you'd believe me when i retract and explain my words.

Irvione, I have a question for you.

People here have said that intent makes a difference when it comes to using God's name in vain, as if saying "I didn't mean to offend anyone by using God's name in vain" makes it okay.

Do you think they are right when they say that? I would hope not. I would hope that if you're going to say intent doesn't matter concerning the use of racial slurs, you would say it doesn't matter concerning the use of God's name in vain. That would be consistency.

For the record, I don't think it is right to use racial slurs, intended to hurt or otherwise. By the same token, if someone knows that someone else is offended by a certain non racial expression, tghat person should make every effort not to say it around the offended person. I know that Verte 76 and BVS say that they make the effort and I applaud them for that. You would probably make that effort, also.

As a matter of good personal conduct when in the company of people you have reason to think might be offended by "Oh my God"--I fully agree with you. But racial slurs, especially when used by someone from outside whatever racial group, are pretty much categorically derogatory, whether the listener takes offense or not. Plus they're deriding other people, not a nonhuman entity whom the listener might not even believe in, or might not understand as ever being susceptible to insult from phrases like "Oh my God." Allowing such phrases to become subject to widespread automatic vilification would be starting to slide into Danish cartoons territory...the idea that insulting an object of someone else's religious belief is in itself unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom