Black Hawk Down - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2002, 11:37 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Actually, unlike yourself, I attempt to make it a practice not to indulge in "tactics", cheap or otherwise, and if you think that my correction of your mispelling of my name was one, then it's something that you are reading INTO my actions. In my opinion, it's just common courtesy to spell names as correctly as possible and to do otherwise displays a lack of respect for the person you are addressing. Finally, "sula" is a shortened form of "sulawesigirl" a nickname as it may be...not a corruption of the spelling. Hope this clarifies any misconceptions you may still continue to hold.
__________________

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 01-22-2002, 12:31 PM   #22
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
 
Lemonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Notre Dame, IN, 46556
Posts: 1,072
Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Actually, unlike yourself, I attempt to make it a practice not to indulge in "tactics", cheap or otherwise, and if you think that my correction of your mispelling of my name was one, then it's something that you are reading INTO my actions. In my opinion, it's just common courtesy to spell names as correctly as possible and to do otherwise displays a lack of respect for the person you are addressing. Finally, "sula" is a shortened form of "sulawesigirl" a nickname as it may be...not a corruption of the spelling. Hope this clarifies any misconceptions you may still continue to hold.
All cleared from the apparently innocent Miss sulawesigirl#4.
Now Back to the Thread!

Cheers,
L. Unplugged
__________________

Lemonite is offline  
Old 01-22-2002, 12:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,730
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Somalia is a nation that harbors terrorists.. Hence, they are against us.. hence.. (yes hence again).. the bad guys... Free your mind.
Free your mind indeed.

I would like to know what your definition of "they" are. "They", all the Somalis? I'm sure Awale and his wife Hodan, say average dirt-poor farmers, and their 7 children, half of whom will die before the age of 5 are "against you" and henceforth "bad guys."

Free your mind, indeed.

anitram is offline  
Old 01-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
WildHoneyAlways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In a glass case of emotion
Posts: 8,158
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram:
Free your mind indeed.

I would like to know what your definition of "they" are. "They", all the Somalis? I'm sure Awale and his wife Hodan, say average dirt-poor farmers, and their 7 children, half of whom will die before the age of 5 are "against you" and henceforth "bad guys."

Free your mind, indeed.

The United States, as an extension of the UN, first worked to relieve a devestating famine in Somalia and then tried to rid the country of the war lords responsible for starving the people. As a result, clan loyalities to these miserable war lords, who gained loyalty, by the way, by addicting Somali people to a local drug, the people of Mogadishu began to resent the United States' interference.
When US Ranger troops attempted to rid Mogadishu of one particular war lord, his name escapes me (his last name begins with an A) violence errupted. The Somali people were, in fact, defending the man responsible for withholding UN foodstuffs causing starvation again.
Now, since these "dirt poor farmers" that the UN and the US attempted to help by ending a famine suddenly meet US troops with AK 47's, damn straight they are the "bad guys." Men, women and childrem were armed. Most of the children were unalble to hold the AK properly because of its weight.
This was not a few people who took to the streets, it was 1000's.
This is not to say that the entire country and all of it's citizens are aiming AK 47's at the United States, but since there is no established goverment and many terrorist groups run Somalia, it must be considered a threat to the United States.
WildHoneyAlways is offline  
Old 01-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,730
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
Now, since these "dirt poor farmers" that the UN and the US attempted to help by ending a famine suddenly meet US troops with AK 47's, damn straight they are the "bad guys." Men, women and childrem were armed. Most of the children were unalble to hold the AK properly because of its weight.
This was not a few people who took to the streets, it was 1000's.
This is not to say that the entire country and all of it's citizens are aiming AK 47's at the United States, but since there is no established goverment and many terrorist groups run Somalia, it must be considered a threat to the United States.
Assume there were "thousands" of armed men, women and children in the streets. There are also 9.5 million other people in Somalia. To say "damn straight they are bad guys" is a dangerous statement. You later on say, that "not all of its citizens were holding AK-47s" when the truth is that a tiny % of the whole population was. As Sula said, this movie could be potentially offensive to a Somali, because it does precisely what some people have stated on this thread, that is to refer to "them" as "bad", "against us" and so on. As you have stated, Somalia is an established threat to the US. I ask you, in your eyes, who/what is Somalia? The vast majority of people, who live in temporary settlements, and are still nomadic, who don't know how to read, and most certainly have nothing to do with supporting terrorism, as they are a little preoccupied with trying to find food for their children? Draw a parallel with Afghanistan. The majority of the population are poor people who would be happy just to live until tomorrow, who have no political interests, who do not invite or harbor terrorists, nor have anything to do with them. When you see Somalia as a threat, think about what the majority of Somalis really are - decent people - just like you and I may be.

Generalizations are dangerous things. When Billy Graham's son stated that "The God of Islam is not the same God. He's not the son of God of the Christian or Judeo-Christian faith. It's a different God, and I believe it is a very evil and wicked religion," would Osama bin Laden be justified in saying that since Franklin Graham and his followers harbor an intolerance for Islam, then it's true that all Americans are "bad" and "threats to us?" Think about it, because it cuts both ways, and that's why a generalization is never good.

anitram is offline  
Old 01-23-2002, 03:06 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
WildHoneyAlways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In a glass case of emotion
Posts: 8,158
Local Time: 01:07 PM
The fact is that thousands of Somali people did attack US forces. Granted this is a small percentage of the population. However, just because the percentage is small does not mean that threat does not exist. The unstabiltiy in that region, as well as places such as Afganistan, is a problem. Do you not agree? I am not so ignorant to think that every person from Afganistan is a terrorist. I also do not think that every person from Somalia is anti American. The United Nations Humanitarian effort to relieve the famine in that region was in large part successful. After the United Nations left the area conditions worsened due to corrupt "leaders." I was in no way implying that the entire country/population is a threat. I do consider someone aiming an automatic rifle at a US troop a threat. Moreover, the threat stems from the fact that the country harbors terrorists that kill Americans, Brits, French, German, Japanese, and not to mention far greater numbers of thier own people!
I have yet to see the film but as stated before I have read the book. It was neither racist or generalizing. In fact, it was specific, almost confusing because of the great number of people mentioned. I consider myself to be well informed on the events leading up to and following that day in October. Being that someone close to me is an Army Ranger I have strong feelings about anyone wanting to point a gun at him. I don't really care where they are from.
Perhaps people should not make judgements when they hear information second hand. I am just asking that if one is going to condem the book or film as racist or generalizing the Somali people then at least read it or see it first.
WildHoneyAlways is offline  
Old 01-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #27
Refugee
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,538
Local Time: 06:07 PM
Well, I saw the film today and I thought it was well worth my money; it was an accurate description of warfare, without any pretenses about character development all in the name of emotionally manipulating the audience, I think their approach was just fine. And no, I didn't think it was at all rascist.


Ant.
__________________

Anthony is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×