bit of a stretch? reagan & UNESCO question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
would anyone happen to know what occurred when the reagan admin threatened to withdraw their presence from UNESCO?
i have read a very confusing piece alluding to a UNESCO initiative to diversify global media, which Reagan did not take to.
is this correct or did something else occur?

any help would be appreciated, my google searching has turned up nothing.

Uhmmmm, kobe? What is UNESCO? Educate my mind please.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Originally posted by Lilly:
Uhmmmm, kobe? What is UNESCO? Educate my mind please.
biggrin.gif

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization

i'm studying for my advanced mass media exam and there is an anecdote involving george gerbner(cultural theorist), walter annenberg(major sponsor to UPenn school of communications), and Reagan's threat to pull out of UNESCO. something to do with a UNESCO initiative to diversify global media offerings which Gerbner supported(while teaching at UPenn), annenberg getting him fired as a result of his support and Reagan withdrawing the US from UNESCO over the whole thing.

as you can imagine from my description i really have no clue what happened, just the vaguest of ideas
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by kobayashi:

as you can imagine from my description i really have no clue what happened, just the vaguest of ideas
biggrin.gif

classic!

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Can?t tell you about the Reagan UNESCO stuff, but didn?t the big mergers only start after Clinton had passed the law? Keep up your good work, I am always interested in what you are writing.

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars:
Can?t tell you about the Reagan UNESCO stuff, but didn?t the big mergers only start after Clinton had passed the law? Keep up your good work, I am always interested in what you are writing.

yeah Clinton's Telecom Act of '96 opened competition in telecom to anyone wanting to participate in any telecom service anywhere. more or less this meant that the facility lines were 'unbundled' from service. so theoretically you should be able to get cable internet from any ISP, not just your cable company. all existing facilities owners have for the most part just ignored the law. it is now beginning to change however
smile.gif

thanks for the kind words
biggrin.gif

Wasn't this where UNESCO enrolled countries threatened to repeatedly show home movies featuring US made fighter planes bombing the living shit out of innocent civilians in Central America unless Hollywood promised to lock and seal all Ronald Reagan movies for at least 2000 years?

Oops, wrong rant...lol..

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

[This message has been edited by gabrielvox (edited 04-15-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom