Billy Graham is a Democrat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2Hearts

War Child
I didn't see this interview myself, but apparently Graham told a morning show ( The Today Show I think) that he is a Democrat, and many of you may have heard that Bill Clinton did the introduction for him during his stop in New York City this weekend.

I'm plugged into Christian news on several different levels, but I did not know this. I can just feel the shock waves travelling across the US among dyed-in-the-wool Christian Republicans. To them, it must be similar to Luke finding out Darth Vader is his father.

Billy Graham :up: (and not just for being a Democrat)

Billy Graham is actually apolitical, at least in public. He used to make political statements but stopped this. He used to tell Jerry Falwell that he'd regret his political stuff and he should knock it off. He's done invocations at both political conventions and meetings for both parties. And yes, he did give us Franklin. Franklin's not all bad. Samaritan's Purse is a damn good charity.

I wonder if Karl Rove will now tell Billy Graham that he is a traitor who hates America, like Rove insulted Democrats in his outburst the other day.

No stretch needed, Rove pretty much insulted all Democrats.

There are blogs on the internet filling up with comments on the matter from Democrat voting US military personnel.

Billy Graham's the man. I posted a link to a new music video about him that Bono did a spoken-word intro for in the Goal is Soul if you're interested.

nbcrusader said:
Graham serves one party - God's.

More people's lives have been touched by Graham than we could ever know.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050626/ap_on_re_us/billy_graham_14

NEW YORK - As his final American revival meeting continued Saturday, a fragile Billy Graham was met onstage by former President Clinton, who honored the evangelist, calling him "a man I love."

Clinton spoke briefly before Graham's sermon and recalled how the man known as America's pastor had refused to preach before a segregated audience in Arkansas decades ago when that state was in a bitter fight over school desegregation.

"I was just a little boy and I'll never forget it," said Clinton, who was joined by his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. "I've loved him ever since. God bless you, friend."

Graham called the Clintons "wonderful friends" and "a great couple," quipping that the former president should become an evangelist and allow "his wife to run the country."

Speaking of his son.

I seen an interview on CNN with him. He is evil!

I was going to get the transcripts and post a thread, but no time.

He pretty much said that Islam and Muslims are evil. No Muslims are good, it was distrubing, I'll get the transcripts, very disheartening!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Hell, we even hear that in here by some.

Actually we're more likely to hear veiled insults at Islam and people whining because, apparently, political correctness censors them from saying what they really think about Islam.

That kind of stuff goes on here an awful lot, there are 2 or 3 people that do it, and people drawing attention to some troll called GOP_Catholic who was banned after a month is just side-stepping the issue.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Actually we're more likely to hear veiled insults at Islam and people whining because, apparently, political correctness censors them from saying what they really think about Islam.

That kind of stuff goes on here an awful lot, there are 2 or 3 people that do it, and people drawing attention to some troll called GOP_Catholic who was banned after a month is just side-stepping the issue.

Actually, we're more likely to hear outright, in-your-face insults aimed at Christianity in these forums.

80sU2isBest said:
Actually, we're more likely to hear outright, in-your-face insults aimed at Christianity in these forums.

A lot less than you'd see on an average episode of Southpark!

I love when persons following a religion and way of political thought that controls the White House, both houses of Congress, and most of what passes for political process in this country in general talk about how oppressed they are.

Pax, who said anything about being oppressed? Read my post again . I said that Christians are insulted in these forums, didn't I?

Can you tell me that you believe I am not accurate?

Good grief.

financeguy said:

A lot less than you'd see on an average episode of Southpark!

That's true, but the chaaracters in South Park don't claim to be tolerant, either.

80sU2isBest said:

no way.

if anything, i think people go to great lengths to distinguish between Christianity -- which could be almost anything -- and politicized right wing Christianity.

i think what you might be reacting to is the intentional conflation of the two by certain members of the GOP -- their intention is to claim not only the flag for the Republican Party, but the cross and the church as well. it gets difficult to separate the two sometimes, and that's precisely the goal of certain people in Washington, to make any disagreement with the Republican Party to be the same thing as a disagreement with Mom, Apple Pie, Main Street, Christmas, Memorial Day, the Church, and Jesus.

reclaim your religion.

Irvine511 said:

no way.

if anything, i think people go to great lengths to distinguish between Christianity -- which could be almost anything -- and politicized right wing Christianity.

That's not accurate. There are several people who just come right out and insult Christianity, and not just "right-wing" Christianity quite often.

80sU2isBest said:

Can you tell me that you believe I am not accurate?

Yes, I can.

Most folks in here, including myself, go to great lengths to be respectful of Christianity. Since, you know, many of us "lefties" are actually Christians ourselves. And when we criticize Christianity, it's the arrogant, selfish, violent version that claims scum of the planet like Tom DeLay and Rick Santorum (heehee, Santorum) in its ranks.

I love Jesus. I'm happy to be a Christian. But I'm disgusted with the perversion of Christianity that happens when it gets mixed up in electoral politics.

And in this forum, when I modded it, I was very careful to reprimand folks who went too far with criticism of Christianity or Christians.

So, again, yes, I feel pretty comfortable saying you're mistaken.

80sU2isBest said:

That's not accurate. There are several people who just come right out and insult Christianity, and not just "right-wing" Christianity quite often.

well, i have to listen to you -- and others -- tell me how "sinful" and "wrong" i am, and if i speak out agains this, i am somehow insutling your religion.

it's not a perfect world -- you can't expect to feel comfortable at all times, so welcome to how many of us feel pretty much all the time.

i also find it funny -- and this is a general comment, not directed at you 80s -- that some people complain that society's failure to perfectly represent their moral code across all culture and politics is somehow tantamount to religious descrimination.

i return to my post on secularism. the only way you can be authentically religious is in a truly secular society.

80sU2isBest said:

Also, when you say that people "insult" Christianity, I think you are talking about a few post-ers who are atheists, and thus have the same opinion of Christianity that they would of Hinduim, Taoism, the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster-ism, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom