Bill Maher: A Picture of Intolerance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stammer476

Refugee
I apologize in advance if this is an old topic, but I just heard these comments for the first time this weekend.

From Bill Maher, on Larry King Live aired June 2, 2004

You said something about you have to respect people's beliefs. I know that's what we always hear, we have to respect. I'm sorry, I don't. I don't respect religion. I don't respect superstitious thinking, which is what religion is. I don't respect childish thinking, which is what religion is.

So I'm sorry, I don't respect people who believe in religion. I was religious when I was a kid. We all had dumb stuff drilled into our head. It doesn't mean when you get to be an adult you can't drill it out.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0406/02/lkl.00.html

Wow. Intolerant. Insensitive. Ignorant. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Oh well, there have been people who have posted same/similar stuff here as their own opinion.

Doesn't bother me really, I know what I believe and that's good enough for me :) I didn't have anything "drilled" into my head, and I've done my fair share of questioning.

I do think he's an a** though, and for reasons other than this. I think he thinks way too highly of himself and his opinions

while the comments are, as you say, intolerant and insensitive, bear in mind that he is a comedian who benefits from eliciting a shock value from people.

I'm well aware of that, but it's still just hard to imagine someone of his stature and platform saying something like this.

And I just can't help but feel that if the words "religion" or "religious" would be replaced with the words "gays" or "homosexuality," Maher would have been burned at the stake a long time ago. This was CNN and Larry King Live, for goodness sake. It wasn't some backwoods preacher spewing hate from his pulpit.

I just feel that the cry for "tolerance" is limited to some in today's world, and not extended to others. Let's be honest and call intolerance what it really is.

stammer476 said:
I'm well aware of that, but it's still just hard to imagine someone of his stature and platform saying something like this.

And I just can't help but feel that if the words "religion" or "religious" would be replaced with the words "gays" or "homosexuality," Maher would have been burned at the stake a long time ago. This was CNN and Larry King Live, for goodness sake. It wasn't some backwoods preacher spewing hate from his pulpit.

I just feel that the cry for "tolerance" is limited to some in today's world, and not extended to others. Let's be honest and call intolerance what it really is.

Well his comment was aimed at probably, what, 90%(it's just a guess) of the worlds population the only ones that wouldn't have been offended were athiest. Yet no one really rose an eye brow:eyebrow:

Secondly your analogy really doesn't work. Can you replace an overall non specific belief system with a person? I don't think so.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well his comment was aimed at probably, what, 90%(it's just a guess) of the worlds population the only ones that wouldn't have been offended were athiest. Yet no one really rose an eye brow:eyebrow:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but if I am correct in your intention, you're proving my point. Why is it okay to offend the majority, but not the minority? Why is it okay that Charles Barkley can say on PRIME TIME TELEVISION, "This is what I hate about white people" (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/01/30/life_of_reilly/), but if another public figure says the N-word in private conversation, they're condemned? Why is this contradiction acceptable? Does our call for "tolerance" really mean anything if it's not equally applied to all people and all beliefs?

Secondly your analogy really doesn't work. Can you replace an overall non specific belief system with a person? I don't think so.

Well, yes and no. Some would argue that sexual preference is a belief and not a person, just as others would say that religion is so deeply ingrained it's as personal as biological tendencies. I'm not going to give my opinion on either of these beliefs, but will admit that the analogy is not the best. It's been a long day, give me a break. :wink:

But my point is, why doesn't Bill Maher face the same consequences for his statements as others? Why is his bigotry tolerated while others are condemned? Does our society have a double standard, as long as there are "more of you than there are of them"?

A certain degree of political power is derived from the ability to label another as a bigot/racist/sexist etc. Sometimes the accusations are true, other times they are not. Usually the evidence is limited to a statement or choice of words.

We should identify bigotry/racism/sexism, but often the underlying issues are ignored.

Yeah I didn't quite finish my thought I got sidetracked. I meant to say no one even raised an eyebrow, why, because he's just a guy on TV that says these things. No one cares, or at least they shouldn't. You honestly think he doesn't respect the majority of people on this planet that surround him? And if he does, I feel sorry for him for he probably doesn't have too many friends.

He has many friends that are centerfolds and such

I guess what he said there was just his attempt to be "provocative"

He makes me :yawn: but that's just my take on him

Well, he's got some views I don't have, to say the least. I don't let stuff like that get to me that badly, my own family thinks I'm nuts for converting to Catholicism. They don't say that sort of thing to my face, but I know they do not share my religious views. There are always going to be narrow-minded idiots and such out there. I can't let them get me down.

I'm not sure one must respect other's belief's. Accept, yes, respect...not really.

There are many people I know who don't respect what I believe, but they accept it. And I do the same with them.

I can say the same thing because Christianity is ignorant superstition that gets people killed, now if I were to hypotheticaly say the same things about Islam then I would be called an Islamophobic racist - ahhh the vagaries of political correctness.

A_Wanderer said:
I can say the same thing because Christianity is ignorant superstition that gets people killed, now if I were to hypotheticaly say the same things about Islam then I would be called an Islamophobic racist - ahhh the vagaries of political correctness.

No. You would be called an Islamophobic racist if you called all Muslims terrorists. I would suggest not mentioning any specific religion, but rather saying "Belief in myth as fact is ignorant superstition that gets people killed." (Now I'm gonna get jumped on too! :wink: )

What a moron.

I can't stand people who talk like they've read the entire series but in reality they haven't read the first chapter of the first book.

This guy makes a living talking out of his ass. Sometimes it's amusing. Sometimes it's just pathetic.

A_Wanderer said:

Too true.

You can have a movie called "White Chicks" which totally stereotypes whites, but if there was a movoe called "Black Chicks" it would be labled racist propaganda. It's pathetic really.

Last edited:
I however do mean it in all seriousness when I say that religion generally gets people killed - Christianity overcame most of its problems but is now impotent and will mostly die out by the end of the century. You and I may disagree on the matter but I accept your right to hold your beliefs - provided that you do not start killing people in the name of God.

Last edited:
So what? He voiced his opinion, and SO WHAT? Has he hurt or threatened or taunted or in any other way made the lives of others difficult because of their belief in whatever religion it may be? No. All he's done is voice his opinion. When people say to 'respect' others' religion, the gist of that is 'don't hurt people or treat people badly just because you don't share their beliefs'. I don't think Mahr has hurt anybody or treated anybody badly. All he did was state his opinion, which is that religion is stupid. If you want to complain about anything, then perhaps it is more accurate to complain about his lack of tact in voicing his opinion.

namkcuR said:
So what? He voiced his opinion, and SO WHAT? Has he hurt or threatened or taunted or in any other way made the lives of others difficult because of their belief in whatever religion it may be? No. All he's done is voice his opinion. When people say to 'respect' others' religion, the gist of that is 'don't hurt people or treat people badly just because you don't share their beliefs'. I don't think Mahr has hurt anybody or treated anybody badly. All he did was state his opinion, which is that religion is stupid. If you want to complain about anything, then perhaps it is more accurate to complain about his lack of tact in voicing his opinion.

Are you this tolerant of all opinions? The point being made is that some opinions result in dire consequences while others are ignored - and the basis for that difference.

nbcrusader said:

Are you this tolerant of all opinions? The point being made is that some opinions result in dire consequences while others are ignored - and the basis for that difference.

I assume you're referring to the idea that if were to have said those things about homosexualality instead, that his career would be over right about now. First off, let me make it clear that I support gay rights, I think gay marriage should be allowed everywhere. That said, I don't think the religion thing and the gay thing are all that comprable. Why? Because people are generally more sensative to homosexualality. When gay people tell their family and friends that they're gay, that's a hard thing, and it's likely one of the defining moments of that person's life, and to say that it is 'stupid' would no doubt hurt them emotionally. But with religion, when you find a religion that you believe in and love, is telling people that you're Christian or Muslim or Jewish or whatever ever as hard and life-changing as telling people you're gay? I don't think so, and as such I'm inclined to think that's why it doesn't spark the same kind of outrage. I'm niether gay nor religious, but just from an observer's standpoint, this is my take on it.

I wasn't refering to homosexuality, just the broader concept of how "opinions" are accepted/addressed in society, especially those dealing with race/religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation etc.

stammer476 said:
I apologize in advance if this is an old topic, but I just heard these comments for the first time this weekend.

From Bill Maher, on Larry King Live aired June 2, 2004

Wow. Intolerant. Insensitive. Ignorant. Any other thoughts?

Yeah...his opinion. Which he has a right to. Which other people including myself agree with. Just because we don't believe in god doesn't mean it is an ignorant decision. I've read, talked to people, explored many religions and came to the conclusion that I just don't believe in something I consider an outdated way of looking at life and the universe.

I keep my opinions to myself because I am in the minority. It seems that the majority wins in this argument, and if you are not a believer it makes you ignorant and uneducated

Maher isn't an atheist. His issue is with religion not God--not that it matters much in terms of how he has offended all religious people and I don't defend the way he expresses himself about it, yet I understand where he's coming from except that even though I can be kind of down on religion myself, I understand and appreciate that it sincerely helps people, too.

So if anyone's interested, here is an article devoted to Maher and a discussion of his spiritual beliefs.

http://www.suntimes.com/special_sections/spirit/cst-nws-god24.html

The God Factor
Chicago Sun-Times, October 24, 2004

(excerpt)
Despite his bellicose relationship with Christians -- and believers of any religious persuasion, for that matter -- Maher does have an odd appreciation for a kind of basic morality that just happens to be rooted in the Gospel.

"Morality is mostly the Golden Rule, treating other people the way you would like other people to treat you," he says. "I mean, the teachings of Jesus are a great moral guide. Jesus is one of the greatest role models I can think of. It's a shame that Christianity has gone so far from the teachings of Jesus. I don't know anyone less Jesus-like than most Christians.

joyfulgirl said:
"Morality is mostly the Golden Rule, treating other people the way you would like other people to treat you," he says. "I mean, the teachings of Jesus are a great moral guide. Jesus is one of the greatest role models I can think of. It's a shame that Christianity has gone so far from the teachings of Jesus. I don't know anyone less Jesus-like than most Christians.[/i]

Amen.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl (excerpt)
Despite his bellicose relationship with Christians -- and believers of any religious persuasion, for that matter -- Maher does have an odd appreciation for a kind of basic morality that just happens to be rooted in the Gospel.

"Morality is mostly the Golden Rule, treating other people the way you would like other people to treat you," he says. "I mean, the teachings of Jesus are a great moral guide. Jesus is one of the greatest role models I can think of. It's a shame that Christianity has gone so far from the teachings of Jesus. I don't know anyone less Jesus-like than most Christians.

And Maher is the person to determine who lives a "Jesus-like" life? He sounds just as or more selective with his Scripture reading as the people at which he is pointing his finger.

nbcrusader said:

And Maher is the person to determine who lives a "Jesus-like" life?

I think he is as qualified as anyone who has studied the Bible and is a keen observer of human behavior.

Under that definition, a substantial portion of the US would qualify.

I guess if we live in a society that treats the Bible like a menu, we can get more experts on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom