Berkeley Bans the Marines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
How is this "Supporting the Troops, Not the War"? :confused:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_8127493

Berkeley gives Marines the boot

City Council says recruiting station not welcome; military mum for now

By Doug Oakley, STAFF WRITER

Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 6-3, with Gordon Wozniak, Betty Olds and Kriss Worthington dissenting, to tell the Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

It also voted 7-2, with Wozniak and Olds dissenting, to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines and to encourage the women's peace group Code Pink to protest in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said after votes were cast.

A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment.The resolution telling the Marines they are unwelcome and directing the city attorney to explore issues of sexual orientation discrimination was brought to the council by the city's Peace and Justice commission.
The recommendation to give Code Pink a parking space for protesting and a free sound permit was brought by council members Linda Maio and Max Anderson.

Code Pink on Wednesday started circulating petitions to put a measure on the November ballot in Berkeley that would make it more difficult to open military recruiting offices near homes, parks, schools, churches libraries or health clinics. The group needs 5,000 signatures to make the ballot.

Even though the council items passed, not everyone is happy with the work of Code Pink. Some employees and owners of businesses near the Marines office have had enough of the group and its protests.

"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

An employee of a nearby business who asked not to be identified said Wednesday the elderly Code Pink protesters are aggressive, take up parking spaces, block the sidewalk with their yoga moves, smoke in the doorways, and are noisy.

"Most of the people around here think they're a joke," the woman said.

Wozniak said he was opposed to giving Code Pink a parking space because it favors free speech rights of one group over another.

"There's a line between protesting and harassing, and that concerns me," Wozniak said. "It looks like we are showing favoritism. We have to respect the other side, and not abuse their rights. This is not good policy."

Fran Rachel, 90, a Code Pink protester who spoke at the council meeting, said the group's request for a parking space and noise permit was especially important because the Marines are recruiting soldiers who may die in an unjust war.

"This is very serious," Rachel said. "This isn't a game; it's mass murder. There's a sickness of silence of people not speaking out against the war. We have to do this."

Anderson, a former Marine who said he was "drummed out" of the corps when he took a stand against the Vietnam War, said he'd love to see the Marines high-tail it out of town.

"We are confronted with an organization that can spend billions of dollars on propaganda," Anderson said. "This is not Okinawa here; we're involved in a naked act of aggression. If we can provide a space for ordinary people to express themselves against this kind of barbarity, then we should be doing it."

I think they answered that question pretty well. Clearly, they feel that the war is unjust. Continuing to allow the Marines to recruit there would likely be sending more young men and women to a war where they are very likely to lose their lives. For those of us (I'm talking about all over the country/world with this statement, not just Berkeley) who believe this war is unjust we consider it immoral and completely lacking in support of our troops to send them to fight for what most Americans now feel is an unjustifable cause. It has nothing to do with a lack of support for our troops from what I can see; it has do with supporting them in such a way that the residents of Berkeley would like to see them alive and serving our country as a military is supposed to. That would be not allowing them to die in a war that never should've started in the first place. I can't say I agree with how Berkeley went about it, but I can understand why they might've.

MaxFisher said:
If Hillary or Obama win in November, will the Code Pink nutjobs go away?

Will there still be a war?

Every side will have it's nutjobs, at least these nutjobs will eventually shut up because hopefully we won't infinitely be in war.

But we'll always have the christofascists, paint throwing PETAs, and the NWO conspriracy theorists... they'll never shut up.

What does "solidarity of the university classes" have to do with it? U Cal doesn't run the City Council, you know. I do have several friends at UCB as far as that goes, matter of fact I'm married to a Berkeley alum.

At any rate, if there's any city in the US where it's unsurprising that the local government itself would be confrontational about the presence of a military recruiting center in the area, it'd be Berkeley.

I live at the northern edge of Oakland/southern edge of Berkeley. I like Berkeley - it's a cool place, but people have just come to accept that it is and always will be a little nutty. :wink:

yolland said:
What does "solidarity of the university classes" have to do with it?

Solidarity of the university classes means that in my view you should support freedom of expression by universities even when you don't agree with the specific point of view or protest being made and dismissive responses like 'it's berkeley' to me are not in that spirit.

^ I think you may be reading implications into my post that weren't there. Berkeley has a stronger tradition of pacifism and anti-war protest than any other US city I can think of, and that's been true for four decades. I'm surprised the Marines chose to open a recruiting center there in the midst of an unpopular war to begin with--presence of a large university in the area notwithstanding--as it was predictable they'd encounter trouble.

Back to the topic, it seems the inevitable Republican backlash has now arrived:
San Jose Mercury News

A move to strip Berkeley institutions of federal funds is going forward in Congress in retaliation for last week's city council vote telling the Marines their recruiting station is not welcome in the city...Six Republican senators and an Orange County representative are introducing companion bills called the Semper Fi Act of 2008 that takes away $2 million, including funds from the University of California-Berkeley and a local foundation that provides lunches to the Berkeley Unified School District. The Senate bill was introduced Wednesday by Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.; Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.; Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.; Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas; Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla.; and Sen. David Vitter, R-La. Rep. John Campbell, R-Newport Beach., introduced a companion bill in the House.

The bills seek to take away $243,000 from the Chez Panisse Foundation, which provides school lunches for Berkeley public schools, and $975,000 from UC-Berkeley's Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service to create an endowment and catalog of papers of Rep. Robert Matsui, a press release from DeMint's Washington office said. A spokesman for DeMint said Wednesday that the bills would also seek to remove other earmarks, including nearly $1 million for a new ferry service and funds for public safety.

Mayor Bates, a retired U.S. Army captain, said "There's really no correlation between federal funds for schools, water ferries and police communications systems and the council's actions, for God's sake. We apologize for any offense to any families of anyone who may serve in Iraq. We want them to come home and be safe at home."

Two Berkeley city council members this week said they would ask the council on Tuesday to rescind the item declaring the Marines "uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

Last edited:
They do raise a good point about discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gays are taxpaying citizens too.

^ Noncompliance with university antidiscrimination policies is in fact a major reason why several universities refuse to host ROTC programs on-campus. They do, however, lose their federal grant and contract funding (i.e. research monies) if they do so. But for actual municipalities (i.e. cities and towns), federal law requires them to permit military recruiters to operate locally if they wish. Berkeley's City Council isn't actually violating that law, though I suppose their resolution *might* qualify as obstruction. Stripping funding for an entire city's schools, public safety and transportation is a bizarre way to "enforce" that though.

The Marines go and defend our country as they are told to do. They are performing a function, and that function is extremely important.

Protest the President and his choices and policies, yes. Protesting the Marines, no.

IDK, make believe Berkley was attacked... would they defend themselves?

I've never had a problem with them. They recruit in my school from time to time, usually setting up a little booth in our lunch cafeteria. They don't go out of their way, they just put up a small banner. If you're interested in getting some info, you go talk to them, if not, you don't. :shrug:

by Michelle Locke
Associated Press Writer / February 12, 2008

BERKELEY, Calif.—Officials in this liberal city may soften their anti-recruitment stance toward the U.S. Marines in the face of widespread criticism.
more stories like this

The Berkeley City Council drew a deluge of disapproval nationwide in January when it voted to advise the Marines that their downtown recruitment office was not welcome and that they would be considered "uninvited and unwelcome intruders" if they chose to stay.

On Tuesday, the council was scheduled to consider a second resolution put forward by two council members that would rescind the letter and draw a line between opposing the war in Iraq and "our respect and support for those serving in the armed forces."

The recruiting office opened in Berkeley in late 2006. It operated quietly until four months ago when the anti-war group Code Pink began holding regular protests.

On Tuesday, a group called Move America Forward planned a daylong pro-troop protest outside the City Council chambers. Code Pink, which has been granted a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week and a free sound permit for protesting, also planned to be there.

(CNN) -- The Berkeley City Council voted early Wednesday to rescind a previous vote that said Marine recruiters are "not welcome in this city," but held tight to its anti-war stance.

The vote came after more than three hours of animated citizen input and council debate. More than 100 speakers took turns at the podium. Each speaker was given up to a minute to comment.

In a 7-to-2 vote, the council said it would no longer send a letter to the local Marine Corps Recruiting Station and Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway saying recruiters aren't welcome in Berkeley.

Instead, the city is now simply stating it's opposed to the war and the billions spent on it. However, "we recognize the recruiter's right to locate in our city and the right of others to protest or support their presence," the council said.

The council also said it supports and respects the men and women of the armed forces.

Ahead of the vote, passions ran high on both sides of the debate as pro-military demonstrators squared off with anti-war protesters. Berkeley police reported four arrests before the meeting began, all misdemeanors. Police said there were minor scuffles between the anti-war and pro-military camps.

An American flag was set aflame outside the City Council chambers, damaging a pair of bicycles, police said.

Inside, members of the anti-war group Code Pink lined up at the podium to speak. Their salmon-colored signs read, "Berkeley says No to War" and "City Council - We have your back."

But others scolded the City Council. "City Council -- shame on you," said one sign, and "Don't surrender to terrorists," read a T-shirt worn by a Vietnam veteran.

Debbie Lee, whose son Marc was the first Navy SEAL to die in the Iraq war, demanded an apology from the council.

"My son gave up his life for you," Lee told the council as she clutched his framed picture.

"I'm appalled at what you did," she said, referring to the council's vote on Marine recruiters.

"It's despicable what you said about our military," said another military mom, Debbie Parrish. Her son, Victor, currently serves in Iraq.

"It's very, very sad. Shame on you."

But Jean Stewart called the council's stand "courageous and gutsy," saying the war was "immoral." And Judy Christopher said, "We need to stop the war. We need to stop recruitment."

In the measure passed by the council on January 29, Marine recruiters were called "uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

It went on to say the council applauds residents and organizations that "volunteer to impede, passively or actively, by nonviolent means, the work of any military recruiting office located in the City of Berkeley."

Protesters with Code Pink have been camped outside the Marine recruiting office on Shattuck Avenue for the last four months, singing peace songs and chanting slogans for an end to the Iraq war.

Republican lawmakers in Washington fired back last week, threatening to recall more than $2 million of federal funding to the city as well as money designated for the University of California-Berkeley, the campus that became a bastion of liberalism during the Vietnam War.

The Marine Corps has said it has no plans to move its office, which is located about a block from the college campus.

Back
Top Bottom