BeLIEve the truth about the "DRAFT"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
#1 Only the congress can institute a draft and currently there are two bills sponsored by Democrats to do this. One in the Senate and one in the house. they have VERY little support.

#2 The so-called BACKDOOR DRAFT has been around for over 14 years. It was first used by President Bush during the Gulf War. President Clinton used it quite often during the Bosnia and Kosovo conflicts.

#3 the Stop_Loss that is currently in effect is the MOST MINIMAL stop-loss that has been instituted.

#4 Who-controls the size of the Military? The congress does. The unpublished facts are that the military has met its recruiting goals for the past 8 strqight years, and the army is already at 18%, Navy 60%, and the Air Force is at 85% filled for Next years goals.

#5 Why has the Inactive Ready Reserve soldiers been used? Because Congress has not adequately increased the size of the military, the President, in order to meet the mission that faces the armed forces has been forced to use the IRR. This is actaully part of any servicemembers contract.

[Q]Soldiers usually enter the IRR after finishing the active duty portion of their enlistment.

Soldiers incur an eight-year obligation upon enlisting. Most soldiers, however, serve four years. That leaves four years in the IRR. Other soldiers enter the IRR after finishing selected reserve duty. Officers are in the IRR until they resign their commissions.
Those affected by the callup are a small proportion of those in the Individual Ready Reserve. As of June 22, the Ready Reserve pool had 111,323 members. [/Q]

As for soldiers who are involved in a war, they are not allowed to end their contract until 6 months after the war is officially over. That too is in the contract that every soldier has signed.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/wars/a/draft.htm

Thankyou Dread, this election talking point is certainly getting stale and this debunking should bury it for good on this forum.

Curious because I don't know but what kind of vote do you need in Congress to get the draft established? 51 or 60 senators for example? Because if you just need 50 and we have 55 Republicans, it can be done. And if we continue to lose troops at the rate we are now, how can we keep our forces there? This was a big problem I had with the Bush agenda -- but not building a large coalition, we weren't able to fully support our troops with allied troops. And if it gets to a point that we need to boost troop levels with the draft and only a simply majority is needed, then all Bush has to do is strong arm his fellow Republicans. What would stop them? Sorry, but if a politician has to choose between the president and their constituents, I don't have a lot of faith that they will pick the right group.

The casualties inflicted on a day to day basis upon US forces are small compared to those of Vietnam and even the Gulf War, there will be no draft - the reforms in the US Millitary since Vietnam have been made to ensure that the US always has the technological edge over their opponents and does not rely upon vast numbers of troops. Sticking significantly more troops on the ground would really be giving a lot more targets of opportunity to the terrorists and insurgents.

So how do you explain this guy?

David M. Miyasato enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve in 1987, served three years of active duty during the first Gulf War and received an honorable discharge in 1991. He remained on inactive status for five more years, until 1996. Since then, the Kaua'i resident has married, started an auto window tinting business and this year, he and his wife had their first child.

But in September, Miyasato received a letter from the Army recalling him to active duty and directing him to report to a military facility in South Carolina on Tuesday.

"I was shocked," Miyasato said yesterday. "I never expected to see something like that after being out of the service for 13 years."
The Army announced last year that it would be involuntarily activating an estimated 5,600 soldiers to serve in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Army officials would be tapping members of the "Individual Ready Reserves," military members who have been discharged from the Army, Army Reserve or the Army National Guard, but still have contractual obligations to the military.

Miyasato, however, long ago fulfilled his military obligations, Seitz said.

based on reading the article.....it sounds like a major paperwork screw up. The details in the article lead me to believe he has fiulfilled all of his obligations. Can't debate that....however, I can also tell you that dealing with a beurocracy like the army there are screw ups in the paper trail shuffle.

lets hope it is just a paper mixup.

regardless i do wonder how explicit these contractual details are when signing up. is an 18 year old strongly encouraged to carefully read the document before it is signed and ask questions about any ambiguity?

to some extent, i'm sure, it varies with the people doing the recruiting.

My father is 65. He worked for the government, as a civilian engineer at an airforce base, and retired 5 years ago. Today he recieved a letter from the army reserves saying they needed engineers and asked that he join.

Desperate?:scratch: Maybe just a paperwork problem...shouldn't the U.S. army be a little more updated on their records?

I was thinking about this all day....and to be honest, I am troubled when I read things about soldiers being called back that have been out for as long as David M. Miyasato has been out.

I would question if he was put into the IRR and not taken out after two years. I would also question if he signed the wrong form or something.

I can say from experience involving my enlistment, that the paper trail can sometimes take MONTHS to get sorted out. I had a promotion that came in the middle of MP School when paperwork got misplaced.

One sure sign, that this guy is probably in the clear, is that they extended his report date 30 days. They are searching for paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom