beadsforeducation.org

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golightly Grrl

Refugee
Hello everyone. Last week my friend Jean and I attended the bead and button show in Milwaukee. We came upon a booth for Beads for Education, an organization that helps support African women who design beautiful beaded products and helps young girls gain access to education. I was able to talk to two women involved with this organization and we ended up discussing the need for economic development and education in African countries. I told them I was a U2 fan and Bono's tireless work on behalf of Africa had inspired many U2 fans. These ladies are also U2 fans and they are thrilled that Bono has done so much. They also gave us props for donating money to have a well built in an African village.

Beads for Education has some beautiful products and does great work. Their website is http://www.beadsforeducation.org. You can take a look at their products and learn more about what this organization does. Here is their mission statement:

"BEADS mission is to enhance the status of women in the community and to promote environmental awareness with a goal of preserving natural resources. BEADS programs provide school scholarships for African girls, promote business development for African women and support conservation through education. "

In January 2006, Beads for Education will have a walkathon that will change to future of young girls. This walkathon will help young girls gain sponsors to pay school fees, help educate them about HIV/AIDS and human rights. And also promote their mothers' traditional bead crafting.

I think this walkathon would be a great thing for U2 fans to support and I'm definitely going to make a donation. I also got some flyers that I'm going to put up at my alma mater. Every little bit helps. I even bought myself a lovely beaded headband.

Finally - a FYM post that talks about something important and of something POSITIVE!

Thank you SO MUCH, Golightly Grrl, I am DEFINITELY checking out this website.

Related to this subject, please check out this website that helps to support up to 1,000 AIDS orphaned children in Uganda and help them if you can:

http://www.uccf.org :wink:

All these institutions are working towards the same goal. The possibilities of cutting down on their overhead if they started working together more could be enormous. :der:

Jamila said:
Finally - a FYM post that talks about something important and of something POSITIVE!

Thank you SO MUCH, Golightly Grrl, I am DEFINITELY checking out this website.

Related to this subject, please check out this website that helps to support up to 1,000 AIDS orphaned children in Uganda and help them if you can:

http://www.uccf.org :wink:

There are lots of important things that are discussed in FYM. Africa is not the whole world, neither is it the only place in the world with problems.

It sounds like a nice program, but I agree with DrTeeth. These various programs could do so much more if they joined together. I'm sure they could get more recognition, as well. There are a few organiizations I can think of that are all basically doing just what this one is - helping Africans sell their goods fairly on a world scale. Personally, I think it would make more sense if some of them joined together. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a much bigger impact could be made. Instead, they seem to fight against each other.

Thanks for the link, Golightly Grrl. It's exciting to see the need to make poverty history become front burner and to hear about all of the ways people want to change the world.

Jamila, thanks for the link to uccf.org. Really though, I can't understand why you feel the need to stir up trouble by making such derogatory comments like this.

Jamila said:

While making poverty history and having things turn around in Africa is my passion also - it doesn't mean that other subjects aren't important. I can't figure why you post in here when you think so poorly of the Free Your Minders including myself. :(

DrTeeth said:
All these institutions are working towards the same goal. The possibilities of cutting down on their overhead if they started working together more could be enormous. :der:

A lot of these organizations survive on volunteers and there isn't a lot of overhead. I think working on what you believe in at a local level works just as well.

One of the great things about DATA is that it did exactly what you are suggesting. DATA organized all of the institutions trying to help Africa into ONE voice. :up:

I'm sure they could do alot of things to cut down on their overheads and such, but beadmaking and bead stitching are specialized skills that have to be taught by people who have been doing them for years. This is really the only way to hand down this ancient craft and I think it's wonderful that they're helping girls reach their hopes and dreams with this skill. I'm getting some beaded stuff for myself and my sisters.

BostonAnne, I simply like to see positive things in FYM.

Things that we can do to make the world a better place.

I can't see what's wrong with that.

And I think we are all still entitled to our opinions in this forum - I "attacked" no one so I don't see why I was "attacked".

I wish you no harm. Please allow me the right to voice an opinion as I allow you your right to voice an opinion.

I also ordered several items from their website - I really love the Masai bracelet.

A great way to help people. :wink:

Jamila, perhaps I was too sensitive to what you said. ylimeU2 seemed to hear it the way I did, even if you didn't mean it to come off that way. By claiming that this thread is finally something important and positive implies to me that all the other threads aren't important or positive - thus it seems that you are putting down others that make these threads and post in them.

I'm not attacking you, I'm asking that if you can't say something nice - don't say it at all. There is a difference between voicing your opinion and insulting others that don't share your views. I really enjoy your positive encouraging posts and the news you post. I just don't appreciate that others need to be put down if they don't see it your way. I see it your way, but respect those that don't.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I'm sure they could do alot of things to cut down on their overheads and such, but beadmaking and bead stitching are specialized skills that have to be taught by people who have been doing them for years. This is really the only way to hand down this ancient craft and I think it's wonderful that they're helping girls reach their hopes and dreams with this skill. I'm getting some beaded stuff for myself and my sisters.

Thanks for buying the beaded stuff. It's quite lovely.

I've been reading up a lot on different programs and organizations that aid African nations, but are not as well known as those on the One Campaign site. I'd like to see these organizations get some more recognition. I'll try to get the URLs on this site shortly.

Back
Top Bottom