Be Happy, Not Gay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
If they allow her to wear an anti-gay t shirt, doesn't it follow that students could wear anti African American t-shirts, anti-Jewish, anti-female etc etc. After all they'd just be expressing their viewpoints, right?

Chicago Sun Times

Teen who wants to wear anti-gay T-shirt takes battle to court

March 22, 2007
BY LISA FEDOROWICZ

A Neuqua Valley High senior has gone to federal court seeking the right to wear an anti-gay T-shirt to school next month on the day after a national event in support of gays is scheduled in schools.

Heidi Zamecnik, 17, is asking the court to order her school and Indian Prairie District 204 to allow her to express her anti-gay beliefs on April 19, the day after the 11th annual "Day of Silence'' is scheduled to protest harassment of gays in schools.

According to the Web site www.dayofsilence.org and teachers across the country plan to observe the day in silence "to echo'' the silence that gay students face all the time.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of Heidi and an NVHS freshman did not state what written message they planned to wear on T-shirts.

Heidi's father, Carl Zamecnik, declined to comment Wednesday night on behalf of his family, and he referred calls to an attorney.

Because of her family's "sincerely held religious beliefs" against homosexuality, "they wish to share their conviction that true happiness cannot be found through homosexual behavior," the suit says.

During her first two years of high school, the Naperville resident did not outwardly object to the "Day of Silence," in which students wear pro-gay messages on T-shirts. But in her junior year, Heidi wore a T-shirt the day after a "Day of Silence." It read in part, "BE HAPPY, NOT GAY."

That day, April 26, 2006, Dean of Students Bryan Wells told Heidi to remove the shirt or leave because her message offended others, according to the suit. When she refused, her mother was called.

Linda Zamecnik and Wells agreed Wells could alter the shirt's message to read "Be Happy. Be Straight."

But the suit says the agreement was broken when a school counselor crossed out "NOT GAY" in black marker but nothing replaced it.

The suit says Linda Zamecnik discussed the issue with the principal and superintendent and was told that staff had done nothing wrong.

The suit says Heidi suffered unlawful discrimination, humiliation and punishment by school personnel merely because they didn't agree with her viewpoint.

but you're missing the point, martha. They don't just think it's superior to everything else, they know it is, 'cause God told 'em so.

How can you argue with that?

:|

martha said:
I don't give a shit about what happens to hate-filled "Christians" anymore. I'm really sick of them thinking that their religion is superior to civil rights and other peoples' lives.

Even though I don't like her message she has a right to wear it. If you don't like it Martha just ignore it. Do you wan't to make Enemies?

Would you say the same if a gay person said be gay not straight?

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
maybe they should start teaching tolerance in school :shrug: :reject:

<<<<runs back out of FYM

Yes, but people should also know that people think their own beliefs.

Diemen said:
:eyebrow:

Think that one through, Justin.
What is there to think on. People wear Bush is a Terrorist T-shirt and that is making a personal and political statement. A person wearing a Be Happy, not Gay is making a personal statemen and political too.

When those beliefs are essentially hate speech, then there's a problem.

Would you be okay with a shirts that said "Go back to your continent, blacks"?

or

"white people are better than black people"

Justin24 said:

Yes, but people should also know that people think their own beliefs.
would you like to have gone to a school in America with kids that wore T-shirts that said

"Guatemalans are dogs"

Noooo nooo! Come back Lila!!! :wave:

This isn't about free speech violation. There is a dress code. Many public schools have specific codes that ban offensive images or text. Kids need to stop whining about a nonexistent right to wear stupid clothing.

We had a thread on a similar case last year, where Dread posted some helpful and informative stuff about the legal aspects involved in students wearing T-shirts, etc. which take stances like this.

Diemen said:
but you're missing the point, martha. They don't just think it's superior to everything else, they know it is, 'cause God told 'em so.

How can you argue with that?

:|

Some centuries ago you got burnt when God told you something.

redhotswami said:
Noooo nooo! Come back Lila!!! :wave:

This isn't about free speech violation. There is a dress code. Many public schools have specific codes that ban offensive images or text. Kids need to stop whining about a nonexistent right to wear stupid clothing.

:wave:

:reject:

Diemen said:
When those beliefs are essentially hate speech, then there's a problem.

Would you be okay with a shirts that said "Go back to your continent, blacks"?

or

"white people are better than black people"

Why not make a shirt that says fuck everyone. LOL

Seriously what would you be saying if someone wore a shirt that said "Be Gay not Straight?"

Would you find that hateful. Would you berate the school for having the student remove the shirt?

deep said:

would you like to have gone to a school in America with kids that wore T-shirts that said

"Guatemalans are dogs"

hmmmm. I don't think the childs mom or father would let their child wear that. And if they did and if they were asked to remove it, The ACLU would come to that students defense because ( we know how biased they are).

Justin24 said:

hmmmm. I don't think the childs mom or father would let their child wear that. And if they did and if they were asked to remove it, The ACLU would come to that students defense because ( we know how biased they are).

"ecuadorians are dogs"

how about this one?

well, let's just put your Mother's nationality there.

Justin24 said:

Two words: Dress Code

If I got into trouble for wearing a spaghetti strap tank top to my public high school (which, mind you, only revealed my shoulders, neck and arms, NOT EVEN CLEAVAGE, please reference http://forum.interference.com/t174351.html ) then they damn sure better be watching what kids are writing on their shirts. I'm hearing so many similar cases these days. These kids are just BEGGING to be forced to wear uniforms.

Last edited:
redhotswami said:

Two words: Dress Code

If I got into trouble for wearing a spaghetti strap tank top to my public high school (which, mind you, only revealed my shoulders, neck and arms, NOT EVEN CLEAVAGE, please reference http://forum.interference.com/t174351.html ) then they damn sure better be watching what kids are writing on their shirts. I'm hearing so many similar cases these days. These kids are just BEGGING to be forced to wear uniforms.

Why not wear uniforms that way parents and students would stop bitching.

deep said:

"ecuadorians are dogs"

how about this one?

well, let's just put your Mother's nationality there.

My mother's nationalitys is hispanic, so if your saying hispanics are dog's what are caucasians?

Since you like going down that road.

You know what the problem is, it's that we as people like usual put fucking labels on everything. Gay=Happy, and now we use Gay to descibe someones sexual prefrence. So why not put the term gay back to it's original source and what if we just said homosexual, or fuck it, how about no term and just say human being.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

My mother's nationalitys is hispanic, so if your saying hispanics are dog's what are caucasians?

Since you like going down that road.

I am sorry if I offended you.

I just thought you might understand better if you had to see someone where a T-shirt that targeted you (or 1/2 of your ancestry).

I don't believe free speech should allow school children to where T-shirts that say or suggest that someone is bad or less than others just because of who they are.

and caucasians?
probably less than dogs :shrug: :wink:

deep said:

I am sorry if I offended you.

I just thought you might understand better if you had to see someone where a T-shirt that targeted you (or 1/2 of your ancestry).

I don't believe free speech should allow school children to where T-shirts that say or suggest that someone is bad or less than others just because of who they are.

and caucasians?
probably less than dogs :shrug: :wink:

It's cool no worries I know your trying to prove a point to me. I say all students should wear polo shirts so no one get's offended. LOL :wink:

Justin24 said:

Seriously what would you be saying if someone wore a shirt that said "Be Gay not Straight?"

Would you find that hateful. Would you berate the school for having the student remove the shirt?

Oh please. Gay people actually understand that you cannot make someone gay who isn't, therefore if a gay person were actually to wear such a shirt it would be only to show how ridiculous it is. But to answer your question, if a gay person seriously wore that shirt because they felt it was wrong to be straight then of course we'd have the same response. But it's a ridiculous premise because gay people aren't running around trying to make people straight. Yeah and you should have thought this through as someone else said.

redhotswami said:
Polos mean that someone is going to pop the collar. Which I find offensive.

Are you never satisfied???:wink:

Shhhh Don't tell my friend who thinks he is like the Gotti/Ambre Combi and Fitch(or how ever it's spelled). He pops his collor all the time to look hot. LOL We tease him about it.

As you can see he has it popped in this picture. LOL

IMG_5388.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom