Be Careful Where You Say The Name "Jesus"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to know more about how the Taliban found out about the activity of the people being prosecuted.

They must not have been very descreet?

That's a good question, ]{arao]{e. But, not having a very good record on public relations/media affairs, the Taliban has not released any details of the alleged acts; I don't know if they have even discussed this with the American/Australian/German envoys trying to negotiate the situation. We may never know.

~U2Alabama

Just a thought on the issue at hand...I wonder if many of you are aware of the status of foreigners in a strict Muslim country. You are automatically suspect merely on the basis of your difference. To a zealous and fundamentalist government a Christian aid organization would be a threat, and I'm not surprised at all to see these kinds of charges levelled.

One difficulty in discerning what actually happened is knowing what defines proselytizing? If you are of a different faith can you not practice that faith while in another country? If someone asks you why you are different than they are you allowed to say so? Or is that pushing your religion on them? Where does one draw the line? It's an intricate tightrope act, and as Bama said...we may never know. But from personal experience, I would definitely take the claims of "proselytizing" with a huge grain of salt.

-sula

Did you know that in Communist China, it is against the law for any kind of teacher to share the gospel unless they are asked specifically about the gospel, in which case they are bound under law to tell everything they know. Isn't that interesting?

I wish I had been around yesterday afternoon to respond to sula's first post, but I'll respond now anyway....

Preach it Sula-girl!! You got me all fired up!! Thanks.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
I wish I had been around yesterday afternoon to respond to sula's first post, but I'll respond now anyway....

Preach it Sula-girl!! You got me all fired up!! Thanks.
smile.gif

lol, spiral. You STILL have to email me! Hurry up, I'm leaving the Cities next week!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

-sula

Originally posted by radiodivision:
The Taliban: Another repressive regime brought to you by the CIA.

"Great Manuel Noriega!!"... Why does this NOT surprise me!?

The creation and expansion of the Taliban is much less due to the CIA than some believe; in fact, it is born more of anti-Western cultural identity and misguided fundamentalism.

But I can see where it would be convenient to blame the Taliban on the U.S. and the C.I.A. I've even heard people blame tornadoes and hurricanes on the U.S. and the C.I.A., so why not!

~U2Alabama

U2Bama,

No one is solely blaming the CIA for the rise of the Taliban. Of course the situation is more complex than that. But having said that, it is a fact (and this comes from official de-classified documents) that the CIA aided the rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan (with the aid of Pakistani corrupt officials and other thugs during the 80s war vs. Russia and continuing through the 90s) by providing aid through the opium and heroin trade in the region (just like they've helped Manuel Noriega in Panama, the Contras in Nicaragua, and several others in the region). As you may or may not know, this is nothing new for the CIA. Even if the people it deals with are known drug traffickers, Nazi war criminals, etc., as long as the ends justify the means, the CIA will continue to do it. Don't take my word for it though. Research it. Look it up.

At one point the US was the weapons provider for the mujahedin (the so-called "freedom fighters" who were fighting the Russians during most of the 80s). Within the mujahedin there were many factions (the Taliban being one of these) which fought for control of the country after the Russians withdrew from Afghanistan in 1989. The Taliban ended up seizing power in 1996.

[This message has been edited by radiodivision (edited 09-03-2001).]

Originally posted by radiodivision:
during the 80s war vs. Russia

hey, I can be blamed for many things, but I've never waged war against Russia! A cold war, maybe...

Back
Top Bottom