Basra Uprising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ace Rimmer

The Fly
If this esculates it could change the War rapidly, If one city turns against Saddam maybe others will follow suit, I would have thought this would make it a lot easier for the coalition if soldiers/people loyal to Saddam Hussain have to fight both the coalition and supress their own people as well.

CIVILIAN UPRISING IN BASRA

AS SAYLIYA CAMP, Qatar (Reuters) - Early indications suggest an uprising may have started in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, the British chief of staff at Central Command battle headquarters says.

Asked by reporters if he could confirm British television reports about a possible uprising, Major General Peter Wall said: "There are early indications that just might be started and we will be very keen to capitalise on it."

"We don't know what has spurred them, we don't know the scale of it. We don't know where it will take us," he said.

"We're just hearing reports that there are people who are appearing on the streets in significant numbers."
Major General Peter Wall
"We aren't seeing anything, we're just hearing reports that there are people who are appearing on the streets in significant numbers and who are essentially being less compliant with the regime than they are normally."

Iraq's information minister has denied the reports of an uprising in Iraq's second city of Basra, a Shi'ite stronghold

The Story

I'll definitely be following this story. Right now I'm going to the store. I hope the news later on is good for the people of Basra and the people of southern Iraq.

I heard Rumsfeld say he wasn't keen on civillian uprisings given the many needless lives lost when they take place, and he hoped they waited until supporting forces were close enough to help them. It was one of the best things I've ever heard the man say!

brettig said:
I heard Rumsfeld say he wasn't keen on civillian uprisings given the many needless lives lost when they take place, and he hoped they waited until supporting forces were close enough to help them. It was one of the best things I've ever heard the man say!

Indeed; this is why I think the Allies should have concentrated on taking Umm Qasr and Basra first instead of making a beeline straight for Baghdad.

Some Iraqi opposition leader commented on the "revolt". He's based in Tehran. He said that there had been a demonstration or something in Basra but it wasn't a full-scale revolt. There was a blurb about an opposition meeting held in Kurd-held territory in northern Iraq.

brettig said:

I have to agree. Usually this guy can really bother me, but that was a great thing to say, and hopefully it shows that our role is that of supporting the Iraqi people and not just being aggressors. It shows me that there are many, many people who have wanted to rise up against Saddam for many years, but have been to afraid for their lives and the lives of their families.

I just want us to really support them and follow through this time.

Back
Top Bottom