Back with Bipartisan Support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Senate overwhelmingly backs Patriot Act

WASHINGTON - The Senate overwhelmingly rejected an effort Thursday to block renewing the Patriot Act, the 2001 law passed weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks to help the government hunt down terrorists.

The 96-3 vote was no suprise to Sen. Russell Feingold, the Wisconsin Democrat who was the lone senator to oppose the law four and a half years ago and is the chief obstacle to extending 16 provisions now due to expire March 10.

Sure, because it's not the same Patriot Act of 4 years ago.

Granted, I wouldn't have put it through this time, either...but it's not as blatantly un-American as it was the first time around.

And the Republicans in the Senate will soon be offering a bill to

protect the decent American values.
Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist

Last week I predicted that lesbian and gay families would be dragged through the mud again as soon as it was politically expedient for Republicans. I'm no Psychic Friend, but it appears I was right.

On Feb. 10, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist announced that he would don chain mail and unsheath his sword to protect the quivering princess that is marriage against the evil homosexual dragons.

Frist made the announcement at a Conservative Political Action Committee Conference in Washington, D.C.

"Today, the institution of marriage is under attack," he said. "When America's values are under attack, we need to act."

That's right folks - the so-called Marriage Protection Amendment is back, and not a moment too soon! Frist said he plans to bring the proposal to write discrimination into the Constitution to a vote in June - and no, not because he has fantasies of being a blushing June bride. Frist wouldn't dare be so sentimental.

Why June? In honor of the November elections, of course. Folks like Frist can strong-arm the party faithful into voting for this divisive measure because it's what the people want, damn it! "We, the people of the United States of America, hate us some homos..."

Why, anyone who would vote against something as simple as protecting marriage clearly wants to see marriage destroyed, preferably smashed by the mighty fists of King Kong and Godzilla, culminating in the marriage of the two creatures. As the giant gorilla and lizard exchanged vows amidst the smoldering ruins of civilization, the right wing could take comfort in the fact that their claim that same-sex marriage will lead to inter-species marriage was right all along. Of course, it will be too late to do anything about it.

I can see the campaign commercials now. Which is, really, what this is all about. This measure has nothing to do with saving marriage, or even respecting it as an institution, and everything to do with the baser political instincts of the Republican Party. It's a CYA move, to be sure.

verte76 said:
These shenanigans on Frist's part piss me off. :madspit: :censored:

Eh, he's just a scumbag, IMO.

I really don't understand this. In the last hundred-plus years, many faiths have gone from a vengeful God to a benevolent God, the message of which is focused on love for fellow mankind. However, a few lines in the bible are taken to supercede this. Moral of the story: The Christian Right is neither. :tsk:

What irritates me further is how many African-American groups are so repulsed by the idea that gay rights are civil rights. Civil rights, to some prominent people who have been quoted, pertain only to race, which is complete crap. "Separate but equal" suddenly is okay. :tsk:

In other topic-hijacking news, the blonde on the US Women's Curling team is smmmmmmmmmmokin' hot! :love:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom