Back door deal for Saddam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

max d.

The Fly
Currently there are rumors that while Saddam is imprisoned in Qatar the US is negoiating with him secrectly to enlist his support in quelling the uprisings in present day Iraq.

The first sign of this is letting former Baath Party offcials into the new Iraqi govt.

In exchange for his cooperation the US and coalition forces will see that he is not tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity by the an Iraqi tribunal waiting in the wings.

If he cooperates he will live in exile similar to Idi Amin

Your thoughts on this?

md

Last edited:
max d. said:
Currently there are rumors that while Saddam is imprisoned in Qatar the US is negoiating with him secrectly to enlist his support in quelling the uprisings in present day Iraq.

The first sign of this is letting former Baath Party offcials into the new Iraqi govt.

In exchange for his cooperation the US and coalition forces will see that he is not tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity by the an Iraqi tribunal waiting in the wings.

If he cooperates he will live in exile similar to Idi Amin

Your thoughts on this?

md

My thoughts are this is rubbish with no more credible than the latest UFO sightings in New Mexico.

The de-Baathafication program was designed to remove senior Baath party leaders and those involved in war crimes against the Iraqi people. It was never designed to exclude all Baathist or former Baathist period. What happened is that the vetting process is very long and difficult and unfortunately all Baathist have been technically excluded because of the long duration of the vetting process. Most simply gave up with it.

The CPA is making a concerted effort to improve this process.

Saddam was a massive threat to the region, but most of the elements of his power have been destroyed. If Saddam got away, he would have no more power to control Iraq than the day before he was captured. The best he could do would be to help the insurgents, but thats it, his 400,000 man military with thousands of tanks and aircraft are no more.

Once Iraq elects a new government, Saddam will be handed to them for to be put on trial.

I don't believe it.

The exclusion of Bathists was a huge mistake that has caused 100s of deaths and billions of dollars. It was done at Chilabis insistence. Chilabi belongs in Camp GITMO.
But, that won't happen Cheney is practically sleeping with him.

But, then again look at the deal they are doing with Gkadafi.

And recently they had the North Vietnamese Communist General as our honored guest at the Pentagon getting the red carpet treatment.

With Cheney Bush anything is possible.

I heard an Iraqi interviewed on the radio say that everyone there knew that Saddam is living in a Hawiian palace, drinking expensive scotch and smoking Cuban cigars. They don't believe what Americans say, they don't trust us at all. Who can blame them?

Once they have lost the hearts and minds

it is all over.

Sending Robin Williams over to do "Good Morning Fallujah"

won't do anything but placade the Presidents base for the November election. That is all this seems to be about anymore. Creating a phoney image for Bush as a strong War Time leader because he has failed in every other aspect of his presidency.

Last edited:
Poll: Iraqis say life better now
Tuesday, March 16, 2004 Posted: 6:21 AM EST (1121 GMT)

LONDON, England -- A majority of Iraqis believe life is better now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a poll by broadcasting organizations released to coincide with the first anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion.

And almost half -- 49 percent -- of those questioned believe the invasion of their country by U.S. and British troops was right, compared with 39 percent who said it was wrong.

The poll -- the first nationwide poll in Iraq since the war -- was commissioned by ABC of the U.S., Britain's BBC, Germany's ARD and Japan's NHK.

Some 57 percent of respondents said life was better now than under Saddam, against 19 percent who said it was worse and 23 percent who said it was about the same.

Iraqi people appeared optimistic about the future, with 71 percent saying they expected things to be better in a years time, six percent predicting it will be worse and nine percent the same.

But Iraqis are concerned about conditions in their country, the poll shows.

They have considerable worries about joblessness, security and basic services like electricity.

"The positive attitudes and the high expectations and optimism are quite striking, with majorities telling us their lives are going well," ABC polling director Gary Langer told The Associated Press.

"Expectations carry risks, however. If these are unmet, there could be political consequences."

Seven in 10 say the availability of jobs is poor and nearly that many said the same about electricity. Almost three-fourths gave a positive rating to local schools, however.

The biggest overall concern nationally was regaining public security -- named as the top concern by almost two-thirds in the poll, 64 percent. That was far higher than any other priority.

About half said they oppose the presence of coalition forces, but few want those troops to leave now -- wanting soldiers to stay until the Iraqi government is in place or until security is restored.

Only 25 percent said they had confidence in coalition forces to deliver their needs. There were far higher levels of confidence in Iraqi religious leaders, 70 percent; local police, 68 percent; and the new Iraqi army, 56 percent.

Four of five said they want a unified country with a central government in Baghdad. Kurds, an ethnic minority in northern Iraq who make up about one-third of the total population in Iraq, were less likely to feel that way. By a 2-1 margin, Kurds favored the formation of regional states with a federal government. Kurds have been seeking autonomy in Iraq.

The number who think Iraq needs "a single strong Iraqi leader" in the next year increased from 27 percent in November, when the polling firm Oxford Research International last asked the question, to 47 percent now.

When asked what Iraq needs in five years, people were more likely to say an Iraqi democracy, 42 percent, followed by "a single strong leader," 35 percent.

The poll was conducted by the Oxford Research International of Oxford, England, for ABC News, the British Broadcasting Corp., the German broadcasting network ARD and the Japanese network NHK.

The poll of 2,737 face-to-face interviews was conducted in Iraq from Feb. 9-28 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

ABC's Langer told AP the interviewers faced difficulties conducting the poll because of the security situation in Iraq.

The polling firm "reported a car wreck, interviewers detained by coalition forces, interviewers detained and questioned by Iraqi police, and some who had to detour around a bombing site," he said.

And almost half -- 49 percent -- of those questioned believe the invasion of their country by U.S. and British troops was right,

that sounds nice
but I wouldn't put too much stake in iraqi opinion polls just yet.

I hope, however, that they are becoming more contented

Basstrap said:
that sounds nice
but I wouldn't put too much stake in iraqi opinion polls just yet.

I hope, however, that they are becoming more contented

The poll was conducted by the Oxford Research International of Oxford, England, for ABC News, the British Broadcasting Corp., the German broadcasting network ARD and the Japanese network NHK.

A interesting poll which is verry nice, but i don't understand what this poll and this subject have in common.
Anyway, i don't think (and also i don't like the current US government - i also can't imagine) that the US makes now a deal with Mr. Hussein

Back
Top Bottom