Average IQ stats of people in U.S. election states

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I'm so shocked. Not.

Only one red state with a triple digit IQ and only two blue states WITHOUT a triple digit IQ. Is this supposed to be some kind of surprise? People on the coasts are traditionally more intelligent. There is evidence that proves this.

While on the topic, I'd like to bring up a classic moment from the Woody Allen movie "Everybody Says I Love You".

One of the main characters in the movie, played by Alan Alda, is a liberal. His teenage son is a liberal too. Then, suddenly, his teenage son becomes a hard-core conservative, even joins his school's 'young conservatives club'. His dad is completely baffled. Later in the movie, when a few weeks have passed in the movie, the teenage son collapses. In the hospital, his family is informed by the doctor that he has been suffering from a condition that keeps his brain from getting enough oxygen. The doctors fix the teenage son, and lo and behold, the teenage son reverts to his liberal beliefs.

Obviously it's just a movie, but it's brilliant, razor-sharp nuanced political humor.

Ah, I guess the Kerry voter can find solace in something. If they are all so smart, how come they can't figure out how to get elected?

nbcrusader said:
If they are all so smart, how come they can't figure out how to get elected?

Well, if it weren't for the rabid anti-intellectualism.... :wink:

nbcrusader said:
Ah, I guess the Kerry voter can find solace in something. If they are all so smart, how come they can't figure out how to get elected?

zing!

i find the whole issue of IQ in relation to politics/religion/lifestyle choices/favourite type of dog breed/etc... to be questionable at best. hasn't the whole theory of IQ been exposed as biased towards the white upper-class mindset?

Flying FuManchu said:
Isn't 85 like close to retarded?

Profound mental retardation (MR) below 20 or 25
Severe MR 20-25 to 35-40
Moderate MR 35-40 to 50-55
Mild MR 50-55 to about 70
Borderline 70-79
Dull normal 80 to 90
Normal 90 to 110
Bright normal 110 to 120
Superior 120 to 130
Very superior 130 and above

So the red states range from 'dull normal' to 'normal', while blue states are 'bright normal'.

Yes. Republicans and those with conservative beliefs are stupid. :blahblah:

I thought stereotypes and prejudice went out style a long time ago.

nbcrusader said:

because we're outnumbered.

if this isn't a justification for the continuation of the Republican assault on public education, i don't know what is.

keep 'em dumb, keep getting elected.

i am being somewhat sarcastic. but i am originally from Connecticut!

i questioned the validity of the link and those scores esp after hanging out w some of the leftwing whackos here:wink:

db9

I'm from a red state myself. I do disagree with most of my fellow Alabamians on politics. But I don't think it's a matter of IQ, it's more a matter of differing values.

I should have included the text that came as part of the gif image of the stats in the file I was sent:

"The IQ numbers were originally attributed to the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", though they do not appear in the current edition. The tests and data were administered via the Raven's APT, and The Test Agency, one of the UK's leading publishers and distributers of psychometric tests. This data has been published in the Economist and the St. Petersburg Times, though this does not mean it should be taken as fact."

Also, this is not stereotyping republican and democrat voters. These are simply the average IQ stats of the Bush/Kerry states. It's just rather funny how the Kerry states seem to line up quite drastically with the higher IQ results. Again, no one said all democrats and all republicans fall into that.

My back is spineless. My back is yellow. I am the American non-voter.

Supporter: Governor Stevenson, all thinking people are for you!
Adlai Stevenson [Democrat]: That's not enough. I need a majority.

speedracer said:
Yup, Republicans are stupid.

Stupid like a FOX!

well, more than half the people who watch FOX believe Saddam Hussein was behind 9-11, and that we've found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

compare this to the average Daily Show viewer. despite being stoned while watching, they score higher on current events tests than those who watch the O'Reilly factor.

but on a serious note, i think Republicans do a much better job appealing to emotions, and emotions are definitionally anti-intellectual. all the sweeping patriotism, chest-beatin', flag-wavin' proud-to-be-an-american-where-at-least-i-know-i'm-free garbage. Republicans have that shit trademarked.

...OK so all the red state populations should be marched off to concentration camps. Oh, that's right Hitler had around a 135 IQ.

Just because people are intelligent doesn't make them right on any issue. Personally, most PHD's I know have no concept of the practical.

You do realize that most IQ tests are written by white males from New England, I hope? Which would explain why those states do better on them!

Irvine511 said:

well, more than half the people who watch FOX believe Saddam Hussein was behind 9-11, and that we've found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

compare this to the average Daily Show viewer. despite being stoned while watching, they score higher on current events tests than those who watch the O'Reilly factor.

but on a serious note, i think Republicans do a much better job appealing to emotions, and emotions are definitionally anti-intellectual. all the sweeping patriotism, chest-beatin', flag-wavin' proud-to-be-an-american-where-at-least-i-know-i'm-free garbage. Republicans have that shit trademarked.

Yes, thank you for explaining my oh-so-clever Simpsons reference into oblivion.

pianorocker said:
You do realize that most IQ tests are written by white males from New England, I hope? Which would explain why those states do better on them!

I don't know much about IQ tests, but I have plenty of contempt to shower upon a certain group of test-writing pinheads in Princeton, NJ.

Back
Top Bottom