Australian Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well who cares?

as that democrats commercial highlights

both campaigners are just two dogs

they may sound different, but they still make no sense to those looking to vote

Well, honestly. I don't know shit about Australian politics, but I simply can't understand how Australia can possibly be "full". (immigrationwise)

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

It is a sad day in Australian politics, gee...we have another three years to look forward too of ultra conservative politics and red necked policies, I however am happy to see that the Greens made a big improvement of previous elections
smile.gif

Ive gotta say I dont really want any of the major parties in power- Labor just played the Coalition line whenever it came to immigration and foreign affairs...theyre both virtually as bad as each other...altho it doesnt sit well with me that we'll have to wait at least another 4 years b4 many Indigenous issues can be resolved...

My hand slipped and put a 1 in the 'Elevate Australia Party' box
biggrin.gif

Dont know how it possibly got on that ballot paper!

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 11-10-2001).]

Vorsprung, in a nutshell there isn't much habitable land left. People look at the size of this country and scoff. But if everyone is willing to bring a shitload of money with them to hook up water and electricity out west then by all means we can let a whole heap more in. But as it stands, as coastal dwellers, we are almost landbanked. Give it another 20 years and there will be even less immigration than anyone could think possible.

Could be quite interesting actually to compare immigration policies of all the major 'lucky countries'.

vosprung dont read and believe everything you hear about in the european press

australia supposedly still allows more immigrants in per capita than any other country in the world apart from canada....and everyone in Australia is a migrant (except for a couple of hundred thousand aboriginals). The aussie issue was really about trying to defeat the illegal middle men who cash in on other peoples missfortune... the same issue as in europe -although the issue was obviously hijacked by rednecks and racists.

Australia can have a lot more immigrants, in fact our population would be declining rapidly if we didn't have immigration so it is not an issue of whether australia should take migrants. Its an issue of how many and in what priority.

The australian population is around 18 million, and although there are some people that say we could easily have 50 million people, there are some that say we are massively overpopulated already.

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
and everyone in Australia is a migrant (except for a couple of hundred thousand aboriginals). The aussie issue was really about trying to defeat the illegal middle men who cash in on other peoples missfortune...

So does this mean that in retrospect Captain Cook and the British Generals of the 1700s were bad middle men????, if only the Aboriginals had the know how to send the first fleet to Naru
smile.gif

LOL! Before I was born in 1973, my Dad almost moved the family to Australia (it would have been in the late 1960s). With my entry into the world, it would have been SEVEN of us overpopulating, and that would be before we start multiplying! (My parents now have 6 grandchildren, and more to come!)

Imagine that: U2Bama as a born & bred Aussie! G'day, y'all!

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 11-12-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom