Australian Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Howard's publicly conceding defeat right now and it sounds like he's about to cry! :lol:

We won't miss you, Johnny.

Evidently, we U2 fans are a bunch of lefties. Nobody's shown up to defend our ex-Prime Minister. I suppose all the Liberal fans are on the verge of tears like their leader and can't handle the gloating of the rest of us. :wink:

All the Libs have gone into hiding :yes:

Downer and Turnbull are refusing to talk to the media, mainly because of the leadership speculation

Looks like Rudd is coming out soon...

Acrobat Angel said:
Downer and Turnbull are refusing to talk to the media, mainly because of the leadership speculation

:lol:

Good victory speech by Kevin. I've always enjoyed listening to him. I remember this time last year, my flatmate and I were desperately hoping Rudd would achieve the Labour leadership. We were thrilled when he did, and he hasn't disappointed since. In an ideal world, I'd take Bob Brown and the Greens in a heartbeat, but Rudd and Labour should be such an improvement on Howard & Co.'s misguided and pathetic path.

Well, it's been a year of firsts for me: first backing of the Melbourne Cup winner, and the first time my vote went to the party that won - though this time it was through the Greens and their preferences. I thought Bob Brown's speech earlier was great. I think the era of the Greens is upon us and it's about damn time. Both the Greens and Labor have party cohesion that we haven't seen for a very long time.

Definately :yes: Rudd has something about him. The victory speech was very good too. His campaign was always largely positive whereas Howard was stuck defending himself and bad-mouthing Labor... Let's just hope he lives up to our expectations!

wow, what a day :applaud:

:yawn: I'm going to sleep well tonight :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
I thought Bob Brown's speech earlier was great. I think the era of the Greens is upon us and it's about damn time.

Damn straight. Looks like the Greens may soon even enter the House of Reps. Check out the central Melbourne seat, with the Greens candidate outpolling the Liberal candidate to come second! They've also polled strongly in a number of other seats. I quite like my local Greens candidate, David Collis in Wills, and he did quite well despite Kelvin Thomson's dominance of this electorate. I hope he stands again.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that early polling that gave Richard Di Natale of the Greens a Victorian Senate seat has now changed as counting has progressed. I hope that once it's finished, Di Natale ends up as the Senator. Looks like they've got good chances at a seat from a couple of other states though, so I'm happy about that, and the 0.6% increase in the nationwide vote despite Labour's stunning success.

Also, it looks like Howard has likely lost Bennelong. If he does somehow scrape through on the postal votes, it will be by the narrowest of margins.

Mr Howard was very clever (in a diabolical way) to lay on what 'great shape the country is in' that he bequeaths to the new government. Bit of legacy-building, no? Bit of 'Labor always equals recessions', no?

That one needs nipping in the bud quick fast, as I would have thought that half the point of this whole year was that, while there may be plenty of 'prosperity' sloshing around, the country really is not in such great shape.

Agreed on the Greens, at least I would like to see them develop as a really proper significant third party so that nobody can say it's only a two-party state anymore. The day may come where Labor can only govern in a Green coalition, not unlike, well... the Coalition has historically done with the Nationals.

But I think that day is decades off. Just as the corpse of the Nationals seems to keep on twitching, the rise of the Greens is a very long term project. For right now, I value them mainly as a brake on major party Senate control.

I hope John Howard is going to be okay. I mean this sincerely. He's a bloke who's had the paparazzi following him on his morning jogs for years. He's been "famous" for so long to be dumped in such a huge way has the possibility to be unsettling.

Also the fact that he's sexist and has been tipped out by a woman probably won't help his mental health issues either.

I wish him well.

Axver said:
Evidently, we U2 fans are a bunch of lefties. Nobody's shown up to defend our ex-Prime Minister. I suppose all the Liberal fans are on the verge of tears like their leader and can't handle the gloating of the rest of us. :wink:
Sure they are, pity that Labor could only win by running Howard.

I am off to a heavily fortified compound with a cache of guns and drugs.

This is a glorious day, 11 years of immense frustration over. Australia is back on track.

Now we just gotta hope for a successful Gillard challenge to Rudd's leadership of the party, and we could have the perfect leader.

Acrobat Angel said:
Costello isn't standing for leadership :ohmy:

HOLY SHIT.

I did not see that coming. He was practically assurred the leadership too. The Age's article makes it sound like he's essentially retiring. He says he will continue to represent his current seat, but he's preparing for a life after politics. It certainly sounds like he plans on retiring soon - next election maybe?

So now who the hell will lead the Liberals? Some threw Malcolm Turnbull's name around as a possible challenger to Costello, though I didn't seriously think Turnbull would be able to defeat Costello in a leadership challenge. But this opens the door for him. Alexander Downer? He'd never win an election. Who else have they got? Certainly no-one who seems capable of generating the public popularity that Rudd achieved.

*sigh*

Am I happy John Howards gone? Yes
Am I happy about Kevin Rudd? Not really.

He seems a bit weak, his party is a fucking mess, his views on certain things (like gay marriage) are wrong, and he's not as "cool" and "progressive" as his party tried to make him out to be.
He's still for logging in Tassie, not getting rid of work choices (well some of it, but still keeping some really hardcore rules in place)

I just want some stuff to change. You want to bring the troops home, do it. You want to cool the relationship with America, please DO IT. Don't make these stupid promises and then back out of them like johnny did.

i still hate the fact our two parties are still so similar.

The greens seriously need to get bigger and bigger. Did they win more seats this election? I voted for them!

I wasn't expecting this. Costello has been waiting for years for this moment and now he's quitting. The grin on his face last night didn't indicate anything like this. It does seem he will serve his term in his seat.

The only people I can think of are Turnbull (he seemed to be one of the few positives for the Libs from last night), Joe Hockey? Downer could be a possibility i guess. I hope it isn't Tony Abbott. But as you said, none of them could possibily get huge public backing.

Acrobat Angel said:
I wasn't expecting this. Costello has been waiting for years for this moment and now he's quitting. The grin on his face last night didn't indicate anything like this. It does seem he will serve his term in his seat.

Yeah, I watched that speech of his last night, and I thought he was just bursting to say "YES, I AM THE ONLY PERSON SERIOUSLY LIKELY TO GET THE LEADERSHIP, GO ME!" We've been living for years with the knowledge Costello can't wait for Howard to go and the speculation whether he'd undermine Howard even sooner, and now as soon as he's faced with achieving what he wanted, he's going to go? I wonder if it's because he couldn't hack opposition. He wants to be Prime Minister, not Leader of the Opposition. And maybe deep down he knows he'd be forever tied to the outgoing government and would struggle in any election campaign.

The only people I can think of are Turnbull (he seemed to be one of the few positives for the Libs from last night), Joe Hockey? Downer could be a possibility i guess. I hope it isn't Tony Abbott. But as you said, none of them could possibily get huge public backing.

Hockey vs Rudd would be an interesting campaign given their friendship, but I doubt Hockey would run. Tony Abbott would be nauseating, and he's fortunately too gaffe-prone to get the leadership. Downer's indescribably bland and would never do well. Mal Brough lost his seat. This looks bad for the Liberals!

How soon until they choose a leader? This week some time?

Costello just wanted to be PM. He realised the only way it would happen would be hopping on Howards back- that didn't work. Campaigning in opposition doesn't interest him after all these years.

Last night when it looked clear Howard was gone Nine was about to interview Turnbull, but when he realised he'd be questioned about a leadership challenge he walked off refusing to be interviewed. Turnbull seems like the likely choice. If Brough had retained his seat I think he would of attempted.

Nine is apparently having some sort of News break soon about this and Rudd's address i think.

Amazing how so many things have changed in the past 24 hours...

I reckon Turnbull will become leader. Very Liberal type, (ie. buying his way into politics).

As long as it's not that shallow silver-spooner git Downer.....

OK, looks like we can rule out Downer too.

From the ABC: "Mr Downer has told Insiders he plans to fulfil his three-year term in opposition but he would not give a guarantee." It also notes that he supported Costello for the leadership.

Are we seeing a massive change in the Liberals? All the dated, unliked, unwelcome ministers are realising their time is up? PHILIP WORTHLESS FUCKING RUDDOCK, ARE YOU LISTENING? I imagine they'll lose the next election, but will build up a new, younger team to be a serious force by 2013.

As much as I hate Costello (he's a slimey git), the liberals are pretty much fucked now. He's the only one who knew what he was doing.

I honestly think it'll be Turnbull, but there will be alot of party leadership bitch fights and fratching. Personally I'm just pleased John Howard got his arse kicked. The clown. And Chijoff got her just desserts, the stupid bitch.

Axver said:

The environment is also gloating! :applaud:

A certain "Mr. Bush" is becoming increasingly isolated on that issue, and on Iraq. Interesting.

Woohoo!

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone....

Please let this be a genuine, lasting change in direction for Australia.

Please finally make some federal decisions of which we can all be proud, rather than feel ashamed and backwards.

And please spare a thought for poor JH's wife Janette, who now may to spend a lot more time with the miserable little bugger.

Unless he's considering signing up with the local cricket club, just in time for the summer? http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfbVe-a2b0

Sorry couldn't resist...

Last edited:
dazzlingamy said:
*sigh*

i still hate the fact our two parties are still so similar.

I agree, it's just a personality contest now. Both parties promise the world and deliver not much at all.

Thank god SBS wasn't showing the election:yawn: I had a cracking night watching Top Gear and Long Way round, although updates every 10 mins was a pain:mad:

The best thing about the day after the election - no more bloody fliers in the mail:yippie:

Great result last night. I've been reading some opinions on msn- I've got to say people are genuinely stupid- comments such as 'god help Australia' and 'this countries in serious trouble now.' It's a testament to the scare campaign ran by Howard all along that people think that the nation would be in serious economic trouble if Rudd was elected. Thank goodness the majority of Australian's did not fall for that though

Hasn't it been some 48 hours, Coalition out, Howard possibly gone and the Libs in complete disarray :drool:

Watched the ABC coverage with Mum last night and to hear Bennelong was going while it was still broad daylight was a joy and an excuse to get stuck into the sav blanc nice and early. :wink: I did my bit to make Port Adelaide an even more safe Labor seat (70% of the vote :D ) I also live very close to the border of Hindmarsh (once marginal, now safe) and today I was quite sad to see Steve Georganas's smiling face disappear from every second stobie pole of every main road around here :lol:

Nick Xenophon from SA has also been elected as one of 2 independent senators. He had definitely got up the government's nose here in SA so it will be interesting what deals he does once he gets to Canberra. And hopefully the Greens get the second SA senate seat. I went to a quiz night (topic: pop culture - 60s to 00s) as a fundraiser for Sarah Hansen-Young for the Greens, that counts as being politically involved, doesn't it? :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom