Australian Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's sterile, alright!

1. Islamic Immigration - CDP understands that Islam is not just a religion but a religious - political ideology which when fully implemented does not necessarily sit well in a democratic system. CDP believes that Australians want to take time out to do a social impact study on what that would mean for our Nation of Australia and believes that every nation has the sovereign right to whom it will allow across its borders.

Dont make me read that stuff again. It was bad enough when Teefy was asking. :scream:

At my polling place the CDP person offered me her flyer. I said "no thanks" but I must have had a horrified look on my face as the Labor and Greens person cracked up laughing.

Angela Harlem said:
He's also concerned that the price of a Big Mac is the same in Sydney as it is in Broken Hill. What a pioneering thinker.

They are or arent the same price? They shouldnt be the same, Broken Hill has bluer skies than Sydney and thusly should have more expensive Big Macs.

You know, those CDP fundie lunatics seem almost sane once you look up the Citizens Electoral Council. Britain was behind 11 September 2001, globalisation's aim is to reduce the world's population from 6 billion to 1 billion, and the anti-global warming movement can be equated to Nazi eugenics!

And ugh, Pauline Hanson's running again in Queensland. That just makes my skin crawl. Fuck off already, you racist cunt.

Senate Results

More
Party Continuing New Total
Liberal/National Coalition 19 0 19
Australian Labor Party 14 0 14
The Greens 2 0 2
Family First 1 0 1
Unallocated 0 40 40

How can this be true so early? The polls are still open over here. This happens every election and I still dont get it. I know WA is 10% or wotever of the state but still...

beli said:
Dont make me read that stuff again. It was bad enough when Teefy was asking. :scream:

At my polling place the CDP person offered me her flyer. I said "no thanks" but I must have had a horrified look on my face as the Labor and Greens person cracked up laughing.

:lol: Same kind of thing happened to me when the Liberal woman tried giving me one of hers. I might have scowled, because the Green's lady backed off too, but I followed her and smiled and held out my hand and she laughed.

http://www.news.com.au/feature/0,,5012863,00.html?CMP=KNC-google

Try that, beli and everyone. Surprise, surprise, Bob is my friend.

beli said:

They are or arent the same price? They shouldnt be the same, Broken Hill has bluer skies than Sydney and thusly should have more expensive Big Macs.

They are, and he's pissed off about it. He's on a mission from God to sort out the Big Mac crisis in Australia! I bet it's those bloody muslims' fault!!

beli said:
Why are both parties everywhere? Where did all these nutjobs come from? I had the CDP and the CEC and Family First in my electorate but no Democrat. :|

How the hell are CEC managing to field so many candidates? Like I said earlier, I don't know how they even have 5 or 6 supporters, let alone enough of a base to field plenty of candidates nationwide.

The Democrats really seem to be disappearing. That GST fiasco's legacy has been brutal.

Angie, I'm about to go out and miss all the excitement :lol:

Would you be able and willing to SMS me regarding:

* Benelong
* Moore
* Lindsay

please? Also, if the government falls that would be a nice SMS. :drool:

Thats only if you are kicking back watching this of course.

Im off to Brahms again. Unfortunately "Requiem" was last week. Would have been appropriate (hopefully).

:toodles:

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2007/results/electorateindex.htm

Schweet....Bartlet's pretty much lost Macquarie. ALP has had a 5% swing.

The ABC are calling Lindsay for the ALP. And apparently need 12 seats to take power.

Last edited:
Howard's looking shaky in Bennelong.

Come on Howard, pull a Stanley Bruce!

Acrobat Angel said:
Howard is gone! :yippie:

Well, not quite yet, either personally or nationally. Personally, only 11.8% has been counted in Bennelong so far. But that 11.8% is showing a considerable swing away. On the ABC's website, they're currently showing 5,083 votes to McKew and 4,825 to Howard. Much more to come. This could come down to the wire.

Nationally, without QLD, SA, or WA yet, I don't think anything can be called. I want to call it to Labour, but I don't want to get prematurely excited.

The ABC's Antony Green has implicitly called a Labour victory. They're showing a swing of 16 seats right now, the required swing, albeit with an error margin of 2 seats. I'm starting to feel quietly confident that the government is going to change.

Bennelong still looks like it'll be going down to the wire. There's a clear swing in McKew's favour and she's been keeping her nose in front, but Howard could still quite potentially get ahead ...

Axver said:
Bennelong still looks like it'll be going down to the wire. There's a clear swing in McKew's favour and she's been keeping her nose in front, but Howard could still quite potentially get ahead ...

Good to see rational thought somewhere on the internet about Bennelong. Seems as though everyone everywhere is trying to call it with under 40% counted.

I want him gaawwwwwwwwwwn, but there is something about counting chickens before they do something.

coolian2 said:
Good to see rational thought somewhere on the internet about Bennelong. Seems as though everyone everywhere is trying to call it with under 40% counted.

I want him gaawwwwwwwwwwn, but there is something about counting chickens before they do something.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm afraid some people are getting prematurely excited about this. I'm nervous. I really, really want to see Howard pull a Stanley Bruce, but this is so close that it could quite conceivably go either way.

Channel 9's clearly confident. ABC's implicitly called it for Labour too, but I don't think it's yet time to declare a winner. [Edit: they now might as well have called it explicitly, as they're giving 79 seats, though I haven't heard an explicit "Labour has won". I suppose I should start to feel more confident about this.] There is a clear loser though: the Democrats! They're currently polling worse nationally than the CHRISTIAN DEMOCRATIC PARTY! With nearly 42% counted, the ABC's website currently shows that nationally, the Democrats have just under 40,000 while the CDP has just over 48,000! Absolutely ridiculous. Democrat electoral oblivion is definitely a reality.

Hahaha, Kerry O'Brien, talking about McKew's result in Bennelong: "the swing to the ABC"!

That was classic.

Axver said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm afraid some people are getting prematurely excited about this. I'm nervous. I really, really want to see Howard pull a Stanley Bruce, but this is so close that it could quite conceivably go either way.

The ABC website i'm following on has the ALP and Maxine slowly pulling away, but that could change in no time.

Well I'd love to see howard lose his seat, it would be highly satisfying.

But it must be said the change of government is almost a dead cert. at this point.

John Howard's particular status is just icing on the cake. No point dissembling, I'd love to see the bastard lose. But it is very close. There will be a by-election in the near future even if he holds on. So it's interesting, but in a car-crash kind of way.

coolian2 said:

The ABC website i'm following on has the ALP and Maxine slowly pulling away, but that could change in no time.

Yeah, I'm refreshing that fairly regularly. It's wavering around the 50.8-51.2% mark. The commentators on the ABC TV have noted that there are a considerable number of postal votes for Bennelong yet to be counted, and apparently these are expected to favour Liberal. So whether or not Howard is unseated may just come down to the postal votes.

Oh my god, i just flipped over to Sky News and they had Bennelong too close to call.

I have a little bit of newfound respect for them instead of going for the sensationalist ALP WIN predicted.

Although you lose that respect when their huge Breaking News bar has Bob Hawke and ALP Strategist Bruce Hawker claiming a Labor win, like it has been for about an hour.

Howard has rung Rudd and conceded defeat! He's now off to the Wentworth Hotel to announce it to the country.

FUCK YES!!!!!

Goodbye and good riddance, Johnny! Now let's hope McKew thrusts a Stanley Bruce on you too, you annoying little prick!

Couldn't have said it any better myself Axver :wink:

:yippie: :yippie: :yippie:

The Chasers also apparently gate-crashed the ballroom of the Wentworth Hotel dressed as unionists screaming "You losers" :lol:

Acrobat Angel said:
The Chasers also apparently gate-crashed the ballroom of the Wentworth Hotel dressed as unionists screaming "You losers" :lol:

Hahaha, that's so awesome. I loved when the ABC interviewed Craig Reucassel when 0.5% of the vote had been counted, and he called the election to Labour, Liberal, and Peter Costello. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom