Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
But no worries mates...as long as you do not stay in
your closed garage with your car running for five or ten minutes.

*all of this big gov stuff will someday crush all freedom*

I'm not a happy camper.

Just ban smoking outright and get it over and done with.

As a non-smoker I welcome these changes if they were to come in! There really is nothing worse than driving along and seeing parents filling up their kids lungs with this stuff (i have even noticed that some don't even have the windows down!)

fly so high! said:
As a non-smoker I welcome these changes if they were to come in! There really is nothing worse than driving along and seeing parents filling up their kids lungs with this stuff (i have even noticed that some don't even have the windows down!)
Not everybody has kids and people should have the right to decide what to put into their bodies.

Don't ban cigarettes, legalise hard drugs :|

I am not joking, regulated supplies will reduce transmissible diseases from needle sharing and ensure standard dosages.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:

Don't ban cigarettes, legalise hard drugs :|

I am not joking, regulated supplies will reduce transmissible diseases from needle sharing and ensure standard dosages.

Yeh I'm pretty sure no matter what happens, that the bad will always far outweigh the good of this proposal.

I'm in favour of laying off smoking as an all-purpose social evil, as while it is undoubtedly bad for you, some of us like to do it anyway. I guess I suspect that if general cigarette smoke in the air is that harmful for you that it must be eliminated totally, so are traffic exhaust fumes.

Yeah, I smoke. No problem with not smoking in restaurants and whatnot, that's common courtesy I suppose. Beyond that I become very cynical very quickly.

I'm not Australian but this law strikes me as being very repressive. You won't be allowed to smoke in your own car??!! Damn.

verte76 said:
I'm not Australian but this law strikes me as being very repressive. You won't be allowed to smoke in your own car??!! Damn.

I agree - I think what you do in your car, house, etc. should be your own business. I can see, however, banning it in public areas - which is what most states are moving toward here

fly so high! said:

I certainly agree that kids should not have to be exposed to this.

The fact remains, however, that if somebody chooses to smoke in their own vehicle, it is absolutely none of your business. Or mine. Or anyone else's, other than the individual concerned.

That's nothing more than basic common sense, to me.

I have no problem with smoking in enclosed public spaces being banned, but anything other than that strikes me as ridiculous.

Last edited:
MsGiggles said:

I agree - I think what you do in your car, house, etc. should be your own business.

What if I want to rape or murder someone in the privacy of my own car or house? It's my own business?

In other words, at what point does it become illegal to do something in private as well as in public? If you're going to say at the point where it infringes upon someone else (i.e. rape or murder), then it'd be wise to consider that smoking could affect other people who live in the house (personally, a smoky environment gives me asthma).

That’s an extremely poor analogy.

Most people that I know who happen to smoke including myself are decidedly courteous when it comes to the health of others, in fact they refrain from smoking in their friends company if they so request.

In my opinion this ban would be amazingly repressive and smoking is not in anyway comparable to rape or any other odious crime.

So judging by your logic Axver should we not ban cars altogether to account for your asthma?

sallycinnamon78 said:

I certainly agree that kids should not have to be exposed to this.

The fact remains, however, that if somebody chooses to smoke in their own vehicle, it is absolutely none of your business. Or mine. Or anyone else's, other than the individual concerned.

That's nothing more than basic common sense, to me.

I have no problem with smoking in enclosed public spaces being banned, but anything other than that strikes me as ridiculous.

Thats the problem, some people DO lack common sense!
For the record, i personally don't think the law will be passed. However,it should be continued as a federal initiative to show the effects of smoking around kids, the Australian govt did run a campaign not so long ago! the problem is parents did not take any notice, because of that very attitude "no-one tells me what i can,can't do in my own house,car,kids,whatever!"

Do you have a national health care system in Australia? It's time to either ban smoking or start denying any goverment money for health care of people who smoke.

I know we don't have a national health care system here in the U.S., but it still annoys me to think that my tax dollars are going to cover someone's medical bills(people who don't have insurance)--when the causes of those bills are 100 percent preventable.

Axver said:

What if I want to rape or murder someone in the privacy of my own car or house? It's my own business?

In other words, at what point does it become illegal to do something in private as well as in public? If you're going to say at the point where it infringes upon someone else (i.e. rape or murder), then it'd be wise to consider that smoking could affect other people who live in the house (personally, a smoky environment gives me asthma).
The no-harm principle, rape and murder are a gross violations of individual rights: individual freedom does not extend to violation of another persons freedoms.

Smoking outdoors and inside your car (your property) however does not harm other people; they can elect to simply walk away, get out of the car or politely ask the person to stop smoking.

Having the government suspend liberties that you personally can live without is a very unsound principle.

ImOuttaControl said:
I know we don't have a national health care system here in the U.S., but it still annoys me to think that my tax dollars are going to cover someone's medical bills(people who don't have insurance)--when the causes of those bills are 100 percent preventable.

We could extend this to a whole range of other scenarios:

(1) Deny publicly funded health care to those who become ill as a result of bad diet or excessive fast food consumption.

(2) Deny publicly funded health care to those who sustain injuries due to participation in risky sports.

(3) Deny publicly funded health care to those who contract skin cancer as a result of taking inadeqaute precautions in the sun.

Is this a road we want to go down?

financeguy said:

We could extend this to a whole range of other scenarios:

(1) Deny publicly funded health care to those who become ill as a result of bad diet or excessive fast food consumption.

(2) Deny publicly funded health care to those who sustain injuries due to participation in risky sports.

(3) Deny publicly funded health care to those who contract skin cancer as a result of taking inadeqaute precautions in the sun.

Is this a road we want to go down?

Huge difference.

We eat food to survive. Sometimes people eat things they aren't supposed to and sometimes become addicted. I do agree that government needs to do something about the obesity epidemic, but I'm not sure what.

Sports overall increase health--here in the states if you do extremely risky stuff you do have to pay extra for insurance.

Skin cancer from the sun--well there's nothing we can do about the sun....

But we CAN do something about smoking. There is absolutely no positives we can get from smoking. Everybody knows you get cancer from smoking. It's not natural and it's not necessary. So that's why I say people who do something the KNOW is going to make them extremely sick or die shouldn't burden us with their medical bills.

I do see your point whereas you can and should worry about the "slippery slope," but the information is out there on smoking; I'm not saying people couldn't do it but I am saying they should have to accept the consequences.

It's a touchy subject on where the government crosses the line & infringes on your human rights, the so called "Nanny State".

Your pretty much not entitled to do anything in Ireland anymore but as there is absolutely no law enforcement it makes no difference.

I saw a policeman once.... when I was a kid.

Axver said:

rape is a crime - smoking isn't (unless of course you're in Australia)

Yes of course smoking is morally equivalent to rape and murder, why did that not occur to me before now? Just the sort of overbearing nonsense that makes me all but tune out of current affairs entirely.

Actually I doubt 'Australia' is about to ban anything en masse any more than most of the other countries that are similar to us (not just yet, anyway). Still, banning things is a great way to make criminals out of otherwise unexceptional people.

Kieran McConville said:
Yes of course smoking is morally equivalent to rape and murder, why did that not occur to me before now? Just the sort of overbearing nonsense that makes me all but tune out of current affairs entirely.

So you're saying Bono (since we're on a U2 board here) is morally as bad as a rapist just because he smokes????

I agree with MissVelvetDress - ban the cigarettes

MsGiggles said:

So you're saying Bono (since we're on a U2 board here) is morally as bad as a rapist just because he smokes????

I agree with MissVelvetDress - ban the cigarettes

No, I'm not saying that. I'm paraphrasing previous arguments from this thread in a tone of incredulous despair.

Back
Top Bottom