Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
So where can you smoke?

Why don't they just ban the sell of cigarettes.

Anywhere that is an unenclosed public place, your home, car, etc.

Philip Morris is fighting the government or someone as they were accused of not displaying the new shock tactic images on smokes quick enough. It's funny. In a non ha-ha way, considering the govt loves us smoking because they rake in the moolah, but they pay because they cant take away medicare either.

Iemma might have a puppet govt, but he is surely better than Debnam.

I've got this one guys, there is an easy alternative to keep everyone happy...

Ban smoking in cars in NSW completely except while driving through the Cross City Tunnel. The smoking population of NSW will flock to the abandoned tunnel to experience the thrill of smoking in their viechles, finally allowing the project to be proclaimed as the success it always was.

yes, and then when blocks of flats fall on them because the tunnel collapses, they can say the smoking was never the risk. surely bob the builder and scully fucked the cross city tunnel enough for it to be as weak as the lane cove one. actually, then perhaps we can bury joe tripodi as well as scully and iemma and his puppet govt because they sure cant do a damn thing about the absolute debacle of sydney's roads. debnam better not be full of hot air, cos he's going to hav to prove it come next election. roads, police, health, education, the missing 3 billion dollars the other states are nicking off with in gst revenue.

:happy:

Life would be so much easier without taxes and state provided benefits....

People wishing to buy cigarettes could do so and still be able to afford private medical insurance. They could smoke them in their homes or cars without violating any other individuals desire not to be around their smoke. The non smoker doesn't doesn't subsidise public healthcare, nor breathes in cigarette smoke and is thereby not affected by the smokers action.

Let smokers smoke without inflicting harm on non-smokers. Let non-smokers not smoke without inflicting laws that prevents smokers smoking.

That's my piece

So am I a smoker or non-smoker?

This is just another example of POLITICALLY CORRECT FACISM.
The very same spirit that led the newly "elected" THIRD REICH to institute Germany's strongest anti-smoking legislation in 1933!!!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Good intentions my arse, it is paved with bastards who want to take away your rights.

How long until there is a cap on the number of chips and soft drink you can buy at the supermarket?

ZeroDude said:
That’s an extremely poor analogy.

Most people that I know who happen to smoke including myself are decidedly courteous when it comes to the health of others, in fact they refrain from smoking in their friends company if they so request.

In my opinion this ban would be amazingly repressive and smoking is not in anyway comparable to rape or any other odious crime.

So judging by your logic Axver should we not ban cars altogether to account for your asthma?

*cough*nevereversmokeinmyroomagainordie*cough*

Sorry to bring a minor family feud into this thread:wink:

A_Wanderer said:
Good intentions my arse, it is paved with bastards who want to take away your rights.

How long until there is a cap on the number of chips and soft drink you can buy at the supermarket?

The state I live in has decided to remove all regular sodas in
school vending machines and allow only diet sodas and fruit juices. *following Kalifornia's recent decree...signed by the Republican Governor*

It's being done to help fight the growing obesity among students.

This same state government has allowed schools to reduce recess to twenty minutes and in many schools to ten minutes. The middle school where I teach is considering taking another ten minutes off of lunch time next year. Right now the students have thirty-two minutes.

And concerning diet sodas:

Have you ever done a Google search on the health dangers of artificial sweetners like aspartane and splenda?

the iron horse said:

The state I live in has decided to remove all regular sodas in
school vending machines and allow only diet sodas and fruit juices. *following Kalifornia's recent decree...signed by the Republican Governor*

It's being done to help fight the growing obesity among students.

This same state government has allowed schools to reduce recess to twenty minutes and in many schools to ten minutes. The middle school where I teach is considering taking another ten minutes off of lunch time next year. Right now the students have thirty-two minutes.

And concerning diet sodas:

Have you ever done a Google search on the health dangers of artificial sweetners like aspartane and splenda?

I think thats a very responsible move by the school! Thats great news. In Australia our kids are suffering obesity as well, 1 in 5 kids are overweight, the schools cannot control what is consumed at home but it can control what is consumed at school! Removing the options of crisps,softdrinks,chips and other high salty/fat foods, the money they will have, can be spent on more nourishing meals and snacks. And as for reducing luch times thats great too, as long as they increase more active components to the school curiculum ie: more sport, more "free play"

And as for googling the sweetners, didn't Japan not long ago say TV'S are carcegenic:scratch:

fly so high! said:

I think thats a very responsible move by the school! Thats great news. In Australia our kids are suffering obesity as well, 1 in 5 kids are overweight, the schools cannot control what is consumed at home but it can control what is consumed at school! Removing the options of crisps,softdrinks,chips and other high salty/fat foods, the money they will have, can be spent on more nourishing meals and snacks. And as for reducing luch times thats great too, as long as they increase more active components to the school curiculum ie: more sport, more "free play"

And as for googling the sweetners, didn't Japan not long ago say TV'S are carcegenic:scratch:

actually, longer lunches, eating more slowly help with digestion and also help you eat LESS, since you wont have to rush. it takes about 20 minutes for a person to realize he is full after he starts eating.

is this really even a "smoking" issue or a distraction while driving issue?

are they banning smoking in cars due to the health risk, or that lighting a cigarette, using one hand to smoke it, and ashing it can cause a distraction while driving?

some states have banned using cell phones while driving because it can be a distraction, i see this as possibly doing the same thing.

some people smoke, eat fast food, use their cell phone, do their makeup and change the channels on the radio, all while driving a stick shift, and thats not very safe.

I think it's more of an health issue.........a lot of parents smoke in their cars with kids/babies inhaling it!

This thread has made me remember the time my father used to smoke in the car! We were driving along in our family Kingswood and Dad ashes his ciggi! The ashe went straight back thru my window right in my eye then dropped on my best clothes, i can remember....me screaming......my brother screaming.....my mother thumping my Dad....all driving along the freeway! Comical now thinking about it! But christ it hurt, at least Dad learned from that experience(he no longer smokes in the car since then), he however still has a $100/week habit though!

is your surname Bullpitt? :lol: my grandfather drove a kingswood. one of the pale blue ones with the white roof. bench seats :drool:

where was i? i cant remember, lol.

Angela Harlem said:
is your surname Bullpitt? :lol: my grandfather drove a kingswood. one of the pale blue ones with the white roof. bench seats :drool:

where was i? i cant remember, lol.

It was a brown one! With vinyl seats that you stucked to in the heat!

"Money on the fridge wog!":wink:

Back
Top Bottom