ATTN: Canucks, What does Canada Day mean to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4EVRU2

Acrobat
Since someone started a July 4th thread, I thought it only fitting to start one for Canada Day since it is tomorrow!! What does Canada Day represent/mean to you?

For me, it is a great big celebration of our great country which we should appreciate a whole lot more! I appreciate it, but it's nice to just let loose and show the Canadian pride in a loud and raucous way!! And yea, who doesn't enjoy a nice fireworks show?:wink:

4EVRU2 said:
And yea, who doesn't enjoy a nice fireworks show?:wink:

July 4th, USA - Fireworks show

July 1st, CANADA - Firework show :wink:

I see Canada as a great experiment in progress; a country built on the inclusion and acceptance of all people from around the planet. It's also a great symbol of what the world could be like: A place of vast contrasts and divergent opinions that ultimately uses these qualities to forge a togetherness, common ground, and identity.

(I think it's also about a lot of Tim Horton's coffee and hockey.)

Last edited:
A paid holiday, WooHoo!!!:applaud:

Actually, a friend of mine attended Saint-Jean de Baptiste Day in Quebec, followed by Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa and July 4th celebrations in the US basically within a week of each other. He was quite impressed with all three celebrations.

I just noticed that I overlooked along with most other Canadians I imagine, National Aboriginal Day on June 21st, and Canadian Multiculturalism Day on June 27th. Saint Jean de Baptiste Day was June 24th.

Anyhoo, Happy Canada Day!!!!

canada_day_fireworks_leaf_md_wht.gif

canada.gif

trevster2k said:

I just noticed that I overlooked along with most other Canadians I imagine, National Aboriginal Day on June 21st, and Canadian Multiculturalism Day on June 27th. Saint Jean de Baptiste Day was June 24th.

I just remembered Beaumont Hamel...can't forget the great sacrifice of the Newfoundland Regiment in France :up:

Irvine511 said:
so will you cover yourselves head to toe in Maple Leafs like you do in Paris?

Who covers themselves with what wear?:wink:

I have never heard of this. Must be a French thing.

Hey, I've had that avatar for over a year straight now. :madspit:

:wink:

Happy Canada Day to a wonderfully inviting, wonderfully complex, absolutely beautiful country I admire greatly. You are a delightful neighbor and the only country I would consider giving up my own
citizenship for.

Oh, yeah. And hockey.

Last edited:
happy day to all my pioneering friends in the arctic cold of huskey central. may your igloos insulate you throughout the summer!

:hug:

I was born in Canada and lived there till I moved to Israel at aged 9, so you could say that I'm more Israeli than Canadian.

That being said, I have such wonderful memories of going into the city with my parents - places like Place Ville Marie, the train station diner where I first fell in love with grilled cheese, the excitement of Expo '67 and going on the rides with my parents, going to Quebec City and taking a carriage ride, visits to Belmont Park (an amusement park in Laval)....and so on.

Canada for me is my childhood and fond memories I will always cherish.

on a more serious note, Happy Canada Day to our lovely neighboUr to the north!

have visited several times, and have always thought it to be a wonderful place -- home to some of the best cities in North America and some of the most open and accepting people on earth.

Thanks, y'all :D :heart:

Hope all my fellow Canucks were feeling rightfully spent today lol.

I was born and raised in Montreal - many of the same memories as AchtungBono - so Victoria Day (in May) and Canada Day were always very low key. Driving around with a Canadian flag on your car would make you a target lol...seriously.

St-Jean-Baptiste (exactly a week before July 1) is the big Quebec celebration with mostly bonfires as opposed to fireworks.

When I moved to Toronto about 10 years ago it was cool to see these 2 Canadian holidays fully and patriotically celebrated as opposed to just being long weekends.

Back
Top Bottom