Attention, my fellow conservatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
For years, the USA has been seen as a "big talker", but essentially a "pushover" that will never do anything about the crimes leveled at us. After reading the latest newsweek, I must say I like Bush's strategy toward Irag, especially since we know that time is of the essence since Sodamn Insane wouldn't hesitate to blow us all to Kingdom Come when threatened, if he had the power.
The only one in the admin that didn't seem to back Bush on this was Powell, but now he has publicly supported the president. My question to those of you who know a little about Powell is this: has he really started to see things the same way as the admin, or is he still a bit of an outsider, just being a "good boy scout" and giving lip service?

If Powell really is an outsider, I believe that his focus might be on carrying out other functions and less at the moment on the Iraq situation. Or, is it a perception to "distance" himself a bit to effectively symbolize the careful reasoning within the administration which exhausts diplomacy before mobilization?

I agree Diamond. Powell is a very sharp man and he was a highly respected General and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

Originally posted by z edge:
If Powell really is an outsider, I believe that his focus might be on carrying out other functions and less at the moment on the Iraq situation. Or, is it a perception to "distance" himself a bit to effectively symbolize the careful reasoning within the administration which exhausts diplomacy before mobilization?
I have always seen him as a bit of an outsider; he just seems to have a very different mindset than the others in the admin. However, your point about symbolizing the careful reasoning may be exactly right, and would certainly help, because many people have the idea that Bush's admin acts on impulse (I don't agree, but there is that misconception we have to contend with)>

Thats funny 80's , am I mistaken or wasn't the previous Bush administration (#41) generally accused of the opposite: taking too long to react or respond to issues?

Originally posted by z edge:
Thats funny 80's , am I mistaken or wasn't the previous Bush administration (#41) generally accused of the opposite: taking too long to react or respond to issues?
I don't remember that at all, but I could be mistaken. I do remember Bush Sr. getting criticized for not taking his war against Saddam Huessein to its ultimate level - the destruction of Saddam and his government. heck, I was one of those criticizing him for that.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:

I don't remember that at all, but I could be mistaken. I do remember Bush Sr. getting criticized for not taking his war against Saddam Huessein to its ultimate level - the destruction of Saddam and his government. heck, I was one of those criticizing him for that.

Perhaps that is part of what I was referring to, of course he now realizes what a mistake that was. When forced with that option in 1991, he chose to trust the advice of the CIA (why shouldn't he have, he used to run the CIA) and save further US casualties by not going ahead. How was he to know the people of Iraq wouldn't successfully overthrow Saddam. Big mistake though, and we won't make that one again for sure.

When I say taking to long to respond to issues, I am referring to the economy and other domestic issues. I truly wonder how he would have dealt with either matter had he won the 92 election.

Ya know.. I was waitin' a bit on this one, just to see what other people had in mind about 80's Question, because honestly, I had no idea why Powell wasn't all up for Bush's plan for Iraq.. but I think it was more the timetable that he was concerned.. or at least the public's perception of the timetable..

Powell is more moderate than the Strength of the Administration.. Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Rice.. in issues such as Aff. Action, which ya'll remember he was booed a few years back at the Republican Convention, but When it comes to the Military, he's backing Bush as far as he comes,

So, even now, I'm not quite sure why he was hesitant, Z brought up a good point, and I'd be guessin' to say that Gen. Powell was just errn' on the side of caution in regards to perceptions that When Bush et al are in the headlines 'discussing' plans of attack for Iraq, it becomes construed as 'Bush Plans to Attack Iraq Tomorrow', and He maybe didn't want that appearance.. due to many factors.. weakening alliances.. resupplication of weapons et al... Again, I write this with fogginess..

L.Unplugged

Back
Top Bottom