Attempt to Ban Homosexuals from living in a County

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Tenn. County Wants to Charge Homosexuals
Wed Mar 17, 1:37 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

DAYTON, Tenn. - The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial" over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

"We need to keep them out of here," Fugate said.

The vote was denounced by Matt Nevels, president of the Chattanooga chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

"That is the most farfetched idea put forth by any kind of public official," Nevels said. "I'm outraged."

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) struck down Texas' sodomy laws as a violation of adults' privacy.

Rhea County is one of the most conservative counties in Tennessee. It holds an annual festival commemorating the 1925 trial at which John T. Scopes was convicted of teaching evolution. The verdict was thrown out on a technicality. The trial became the subject of the play and movie "Inherit the Wind."

In 2002, a federal judge ruled unconstitutional the teaching of a Bible class in the public schools. [/Q]

Please God, make it stop.......:mad:

Screaming Flower said:
rhea county should try banning morons.

Considering that Rhea County is run by morons, they're too stupid to recognize it.

I see that absolutely nothing has changed there in 80 years.

Melon

They should ban the voilence that is commited against Homosexuals! What concenting adults do in the privicacy of their own homes, is their business.

Lets face it though being gay is not natural, as you acn't get married in the eyes of god!!!

PS NOT RELIGIOUS, JUST SAYING:huh:

Kate,
Could you please explain exactly why you believe being gay is "not natural" and also why you believe that "in the eyes of God" gay marriage isn't acceptable.

Kate1 said:
Lets face it though being gay is not natural, as you acn't get married in the eyes of god!!!

What about all the cases of homosexuality in animals? Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think dolphins have quite often exhibited homosexual behaviour, and the gay penguins article has been posted here a couple of times. I think cases of homosexuality have been observed in most species, in fact.

Kate1 said:

I am so sick of this argument. So if it's not natural it's man-made? So someone decides who they are attracted to? So tell me have you ever forced yourself to be attracted to someone?

Attract - 1.To cause to draw near or adhere by physical force: Magnetic poles are attracted to their opposites.
2.To arouse or compel the interest, admiration, or attention of: We were attracted by the display of lights.

Interesting, I never saw choice anywhere in that definition.

Hey would anyone here like to volunteer to a life of discrimination, hate crimes, living under separate rights, and being disowned by your parents? Anyone, just raise your hand.

Still waiting. Anyone?:huh:

So Rhea county will be a place where only backwards thinking hateful idiots live? Fine by me. :up:

Tennesee is a "Red" state.

With these types of people it makes sense that Bush carried Gore's home state.

Last edited:
Well said, BVS. Homosexuals see their attraction to each other as totally natural-just because some out there may not see it that way doesn't automatically mean that it's bad or horrible or should be stopped.

Anywho, in regards to this story-beautiful. :rolleyes:.

Originally posted by Screaming Flower
rhea county should try banning morons.

:laugh:...not a bad idea.

Angela

Kate1 said:

Animals do not believe in God either, so should we ban religion ?

Rhea County is 'dry' too. When I was younger and we visited (my Mom grew up there), all you had to do was ask at your nearby drive-up package store for hard liquor, and they'd sell you little half-pint bottles of whatever you wanted. They talk the talk, but don't count on them walking it.

Kate1 said:

Thank you for telling us what God thinks, ignoring the fact that many people widely differ in their perception and belief of God.

BTW, it's "can't" and "God." He should smite you for not capitalizing His name. Not religious...just saying!

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I am so sick of this argument. So if it's not natural it's man-made? So someone decides who they are attracted to? So tell me have you ever forced yourself to be attracted to someone?

Attract - 1.To cause to draw near or adhere by physical force: Magnetic poles are attracted to their opposites.
2.To arouse or compel the interest, admiration, or attention of: We were attracted by the display of lights.

Interesting, I never saw choice anywhere in that definition.

Hey would anyone here like to volunteer to a life of discrimination, hate crimes, living under separate rights, and being disowned by your parents? Anyone, just raise your hand.

Excellent point BonoVoxSupastar!

Sexual orientation is definatly, not a choice. It is already predetermend by the development of the hypothalamus, (a part of the brain). As a baby is growing in the womb.

In other words, A homosexual person cannot turn "straight' nor can a heterosexual person turn "gay." We as a society, need to accept people as they are. And instead of obsessing on what loving adults do in the privacy of their homes, we need to focus on making our society equal. For all it's citizens.

Take care.

Still waiting. Anyone?:huh:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Kate,
Could you please explain exactly why you believe being gay is "not natural" and also why you believe that "in the eyes of God" gay marriage isn't acceptable.

Being gay is a mental illness in my eyes no effence like. If it was right how come the bible doe not state this, hey. or any other holey book infact.

Kate1 said:

Being gay is a mental illness in my eyes no effence like. If it was right how come the bible doe not state this, hey. or any other holey book infact.

Kate1, are you honestly saying that homosexuals are mentally ill? Do you know anyone who is gay? I am a heterosexual woman, and I have a family member (that I love with all my heart) whom, happens to be gay. And let me tell you, he is the sanest and the kindest person I know.

BonoVoxSupastar, sorry I messed up on replying to your quote. I didn't intend to add my reply as a part of your post. Take care.

Kate1 said:

Do you have anything to back this up?

Last edited:
Inis said:

Kate1, are you honestly saying that homosexuals are mentally ill? Do you know anyone who is gay? I am a heterosexual woman, and I have a family member (that I love with all my heart) whom, happens to be gay. And let me tell you, he is the sanest and the kindest person I know.

I do actually, my cousin which we all just don't bother with. I don't mean nutter mental, i mean a chemical is not balanced in their head.

Speaking from phycoligists, points.

Kate1 said:

I do actually, my cousin which we all just don't bother with. I don't mean nutter mental, i mean a chemical is not balanced in their head.

Speaking from phycoligists, points.

Kate, I was born with a chemical inbalance (a seritoin defecency, which predosposes me to have panic attacks.) I take medication every day to correct the chemical imbalance, that I suffer from. But my medical condition, has nothing to do with my sexual orientation. And also as BonoVox mentioned, do you really feel in your heart, that you should alienate your cousin, because of something that he or she, can not help being?

I think I'm developing a tic in my eye...

Kate, as far as this forum goes, we discuss topics which have opinions as vast as the earth itself. If you wish to put forward views which lean heavily to one side of the argument and have knowledge from common sense that it could very well offend some people, please do yourself a favour and don't add 'no offence' as a get out of jail free card. If you are prepared to stand by statements such as "homosexuality is a mental illness", then back it up with fact. I'm interested in which psychology sources you have to help build your claims. We like sources around here.

Kate,

Firstly you should learn to spell. It's so rare that I criticise people's spelling online, but if you're going to refer to a "holey" (you mean holy) book or a "phycoligist" (you mean psychologist) as a means to support your bigotry then you should at least be able to spell them. Further, if you do not wish to cause "effence" (you mean "offence" not "affence" as you spelled it in another post) then perhaps you should keep in mind that there are several people who post here who are gay and will be extremely offended by your baseless accusations.

Secondly, I would love to see your psychological sources which describe homosexuality as a mental illness, especially since it hasn't been included in definitions of mental illness since sometime in the early 1970s I believe.

Finally, do you think that "not bothering" with your cousin because they're gay is generally a nice way to treat people? I mean would you like it if people were to treat you that way?

I've lived with a chemical imbalance all my life, been on different meds here and there, but if my family and friends didn't bother with me due to my chemical imbalance I probably wouldn't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom