ask the Southerner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Would you like to ask someone from the U.S. South a question? Would you like to know what it's like to live here? What's it like to be a liberal in a conservative environment? Fire away!

I can also help out answering these questions, if you don't mind Verte...though you're more deep south. I'm up here in the capital of the Confederacy :wink: The heart of stars and bars country :crack:

I have a question for you though...do you know if any of your relatives fought for the Confederacy?

U2democrat said:
I can also help out answering these questions, if you don't mind Verte...though you're more deep south. I'm up here in the capital of the Confederacy :wink: The heart of stars and bars country :crack:

I have a question for you though...do you know if any of your relatives fought for the Confederacy?

Yes. One of my great-grandfathers was a Captain in the Confederate Army. He had the loyalty of everyone in the family until my mother grew up and started questioning the whole thing. None of my siblings or myself were impressed with the guy. We think the Confederacy was one big treasonous adventure.

verte76 said:

Yes. One of my great-grandfathers was a Captain in the Confederate Army. He had the loyalty of everyone in the family until my mother grew up and started questioning the whole thing. None of my siblings or myself were impressed with the guy. We think the Confederacy was one big treasonous adventure.

Interesting...one of my great-grandfathers was also a captain in the Confederate army. I had a lot of relatives who fought for the south.

diamond said:
Is it true that some southerners view the movie "Deliverance" as a love story?

dbs

:lol:

No...but one time I did go in a canoe on a river much like the one in Deliverance in Kentucky...thankfully there was no pig squealing involved :wink:

I did know people with moonshine though :shifty:

Constituents used to send moonshine to one of the Kentucky Congressmen (not the one I worked for...though we got bourbon balls). :lol:

diamond said:
Is it true that some southerners view the movie "Deliverance" as a love story?

dbs

Yeah, they're pretty romantic about the whole thing. My grandmother was. She was Scarlett O'Hara come back to life. Oh, and my brother, his wife and my niece took a canoe ride on the river once. It was a disaster. They were out until 2 in the morning getting out of there. Whew!

Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.

Angela Harlem said:
Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.

Fried food is very popular here. I love it! Especially fried chicken and fried fish. Also the fried green tomatoes Fannie Flag wrote about. The Whistlestop cafe is about three blocks from the studio I do my artwork at. And yes, I see guys driving around in trucks plastered with confederate flags holding guns. It's scary, I always hope they don't want to shoot me! Man, you don't mess with those guys! I'd hate to be the cops! While you are getting at stereotypes, I've seen these things, so they're not a figment of your imagination. It's not bogus, but it's not really that common. Most Southerners just drive around in cars with no Confederate flags on them, and no guns, minding their own business.

Angela Harlem said:

Having lived in The Armpit for 6 years, I can answer yes to all of these. I'd be more than happy to post snaps of my neighbors for evidence. Not one damn day goes by when I don't have the effing confederate flag waving in my face. They really are all over the place here.

Thanks, verte and unico. I reckon this is the key with stereotypes is realising there might be an element of truth, but 97% of the rest of you are no different to everyone else. It's unreal to think there are some who do fit this, though!

And verte, that is so cool you work 3 blocks from The Whistlestop Cafe! That's awesome!! I love that movie :)

well...to be fair, i am only looking at one area. so i wanna retract what i said, because i'm sure there are cities in the south that are completely different from this one. the most south place i've been to is orlando...and i didn't see a single confederate flag my time there.

but my gosh, the culture is so different even in this state. I grew up in Northern VA, then went to Southwestern VA for college, then moved to DC, then back to Southwest VA again where I am now.

The residents of Nova, as it is lovingly called, don't even really consider themselves "southern", myself included. I don't recall seeing confederate flags until I went to college. It is funny, how just 5 hours away, the culture can completely change.

Over here where I am now, yes fried food is quite popular, as is sweet tea. EVERY restaurant here has sweet tea.

And the flags aren't just flags, they are stickers, magnets, tshirts, patches, caps, bandanas...you name it.

Last edited:
mmmmmmm fried food :drool: and vegetables cooked in bacon grease :drool: It'll probably give me a heart attack down the road but Lord I do love southern food :yes:

I see Confederate bumperstickers on pickup trucks all the time here...occasionally a banner.

Angela Harlem said:

Yes, fried food is extremely popular here in the south along with Sweet Tea. The fried cuisine is highly responsible for my weight gain. Here is a menu from one of my favorite bbq places here in the Atlanta area: http://realpagessites.com/williamsonbros/page2.html

The Confederate Flags (stars and bars) really exists. The Sons of the Confederate Veterans would love to see their flag return to the state of Georgia's flag: http://www.scv.org/

Last edited:
my BF is very much a southerner, and it is true about the fried food. down home country southern food is absolutely delicious.

but it will kill you.

and NOVA -- northern vriginia -- might as well be new jersey. i never hear southern accents.

Irvine511 said:
my BF is very much a southerner, and it is true about the fried food. down home country southern food is absolutely delicious.

but it will kill you.

and NOVA -- northern vriginia -- might as well be new jersey. i never hear southern accents.

Somewhere I have a cookbook called something like "How to Eat like a Southerner -- and Live to Tell About It". And Paul Prudhomme's sister wrote a low-fat Cajun cookbook. Just in case any of y'all need a few helpful hints!

Also, for you NOVA folks -- Southern accents are alive and well in many parts of DC -- but those are the parts that people who live in NOVA tend to overlook in their travels.....

(I grew up in DC and never realized that I had a Southern accent until I went to college in Connecticut.....:wink: )

Ironically, the huge array of garden vegetable dishes is the aspect of Southern cooking I miss most--with (presumably) the exception of CA and maybe a few other places, I haven't found anything like that affection for vegetables and variety of ways of fixing them outside the South. Seems like it's traditionally all about potatoes and iceberg lettuce in so many other places. Although to be fair, the climate doesn't allow for that many varieties in a lot of other regions, even if you can now buy them imported in the dead of winter from South America or Central Valley CA or wherever.

questions for verte:

Are you basically pretty happy living there, or do you dream of living somewhere else?

If you did move away, what (other than friends and family) do you suppose you would miss the most?

Was Dukes of Hazzard hugely popular there back in the day? (It was where I grew up--partly because everyone enjoyed laughing their asses off at how ridiculous some of the stereotypes were, but also partly because it was a big deal just to see Southerners represented on television for a change.)

Also, I wanted to ask U2dem...are you planning on attending any of the Jamestown Quadricentennial stuff scheduled for this summer? I haven't seen much about it in the papers, although I'd imagine it's in the papers out there a good deal...

yolland said:
Also, I wanted to ask U2dem...are you planning on attending any of the Jamestown Quadricentennial stuff scheduled for this summer? I haven't seen much about it in the papers, although I'd imagine it's in the papers out there a good deal...

Yeah it's a huge deal around here...I'll probably get out there at some point. There are normally a TON of tourists around there in the summer so I would imagine this year would be even worse...but I don't want to miss this either.

Back
Top Bottom