Ask the Part-Time Geek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie2000

Refugee
I am new to this forum, as I have not participated in it before, in spite of the fact that I've been at Interference for almost a year now. In the proud tradition of those before me, in order to allow everyone a chance to get to know me better, a thread in which you can grill me on about anything.

My primary interests lie in the fields of technology and politics. I am of the democratic persuasion, and a senior in high school. I hope I have done this properly.

I have considered and attempted going full time. However I have found in recent times that it doesn't work well for me. I need time to be a non-geek as well. Plus the national association of geeks rejected my full time application.

I go to the local public high school. It is suburban and fairly decent. Nothing too exciting.

Star Trek fan?

Do you own a laser pointer?

Ever been to a LAN party?

Do you ever walk around with driver disks and multiple versions of linux distro's?

Star Trek fan?
Yes, although not as much as I used to be.
Do you own a laser pointer?
Yes, but the battery has been dead for two years now. Unfortunatley they are banned from school and people tend to freak out in a "holy shit its a sniper" kind of way when they see a red dot so I stopped with it.
Ever been to a LAN party?
Nope, which is part of the reason why I am only elgible for part-time geek status.
Do you ever walk around with driver disks and multiple versions of linux distro's?
I keep all my drivers loaded on my USB JumpDrive which I carry with me quite often, I stick to only one linux distro though, Gentoo.

What are the qualifications for geek?

Technical knowledge? Custom fit Vulcan ears?
http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html is a good start in understanding geekdom. There is also an interesting essay about "nerdom" at http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

Ability to speak klingonese?
No, I do know a little Spanish though (probably more than Bono but less than Enrique Inglesias).

Techie2000 said:
I keep all my drivers loaded on my USB JumpDrive which I carry with me quite often, I stick to only one linux distro though, Gentoo.

Ah, but have you installed a Linux distro on your USB JumpDrive? :sexywink:

Melon

Techie2000 said:
http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html is a good start in understanding geekdom.

I'm afraid to ask what "furries" are. They are a step below people who get married in full Klingon garb......

Ah, but have you installed a Linux distro on your USB JumpDrive?
Unfortunately, mine is too small. I may attempt to put it on my iPod though.

In your experience, what do you reckon is the ratio between male and female geeks?
I'd guesstimate 20:1. If you are a female geek, then the odds are clearly in your favor.

Do you wear a pocket protector?
Nope, standard apparel for me is some sort of t-shirt which usually lacks a front pocket. In the winter I'll wear a fleece vest or pullover, or a sweatshirt over it, and some cargo pants or jeans. In the summer, I just wear cargo shorts with my t-shirt.

What do you think of the virial coefficients and equations of state for mixtures of hard discs, hard spheres and hard hyperspheres?

Back
Top Bottom