Ask The Messianic Jew....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonosSaint said:
Personally, I think the Gospels evidenced a revolutionary philosophy that questioned much of the concepts of the Old Testament or if not questioning the rituals, rules themselves, then pushing people into thinking about them a new way. Basically, to paraphrase, that the rules were made for the people and not the people for the rules. A philosophy that said the rules should never overshadow what they were meant to give.

Healing on the Sabbath.
Hanging out with the unclean, sinners.
The statement on kosher that it was less important what you put into your mouth than what came out of it.
Much of the Ten Commandments was "Thou shalt not..." (pretty
good rules, too). Much of the Christ commandments were "Thou Shalt....Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself, etc.
The inclusion of women as equals.
The Turning of the Other Cheek compared to the warlike Deity of the past.

I don't think the New Testament (Gospels, here only, I'm not a huge Paul fan) was a continuation of the Old Testament, but a challenge to it, a respectful challenge to it.

That being said, there is a strong correlation between practioners of both, and they could learn much from each other. There are beautiful rituals and philosophies on both sides and the intertwining of them cannot help but to lead to a better understanding of our own beliefs.

I agree there were somethings in the OT that weren't needed to covenantly renewed in the NT. For example, I'm thinking of some of the stranger dietary things and rule in Leviticus...those addressed a specific time period---for example the whole boiling a baby goat in milk, that was a practice tied to a different religous sect and that is the reason that strange thing appears in Levit.

I can understand the misgivings about Paul. I'm sorting through some of that that goes along with him as well.

BonosSaint said:
Oops, forgot to ask a question here and I am curious.

Do you find as a Messianic Jew, it is easier to question Christian teachings since you did not have them drilled into your head from childhood? Do you find yourself challenging more or less? Also, how do you define a normal church since there are so many offshoots?

Possibly, yes. I can't say for sure since I don't have any expeirience growing up with it. But perhaps that may be an advatange.

There are some things I do question. Off the top of my head, homosexuality is one. I don't think that is something that God is going to condemn someone for....I just can't see what is wrong with two people of any gender truly caring for one another.

When I said 'normal' church I was seperating it from those churches that specifically do call themselves "Messianic Jews" as a denomination of sorts. Those churches kinda combine Jewish Sabbaths and sermons....a kinda melding of practices. So in saying 'normal' church I was implying that I didn't go to a place such as that but a Christian in practice only one.

starsgoblue said:
Finally during the finale of "Walk On" everything just came to a sense of convergence. I can't tell you how many times I had heard this song before that night but it was only then that it's true meaning smacked me in the face and left a permament welt. "You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been," Bono sang, his eyes closed and face tilted upward. "A place that has to be believed to be seen." For the first time, I believed.

Wow. Thank you for posting that, it's beautiful.

I was already a Christian when I saw U2 in 1987, but it was so uplifting, so ... words cannot describe it. But I definitely felt a Presence, an incredible, nearly overwhelming Love, I could almost touch it.

And I've heard similar stories from other fans. God definitely has His Hand on this band. :) And may He bless you as well.

Jewish Grandma past away a long time ago, unfortunately, when I was only 12. My mother more than makes up for it though!

My mother is Jewish, my father is Catholic.

It was my father's wishes that I be baptized, so I was.

He then left my mother for another woman, so I grew up with my mother, and in the Jewish tradition, that would mean I'm Jewish. :D

We were never deeply religious or anything. We actually celebrated both Christmas and Chanukuh, which is kind of cool. :)

Sue DeNym said:

Wow. Thank you for posting that, it's beautiful.

I was already a Christian when I saw U2 in 1987, but it was so uplifting, so ... words cannot describe it. But I definitely felt a Presence, an incredible, nearly overwhelming Love, I could almost touch it.

And I've heard similar stories from other fans. God definitely has His Hand on this band. :) And may He bless you as well.

:hug:

I agree. I definetly think God, and I mean whatever God someone believes in, has definetly worked through these four men.

I am so excited about this tour and I think a large part of it is to have that same feeling, that same Prescence be with me again.

nbcrusader said:
What from the Jewish faith do you think Christians should learn more about (i.e., participate in a Sedar dinner)?

My Church hosts a sedar dinner for 4th graders and others every year to learn about taking Communion. My daughter and I participated a couple of years ago. This year, I went to the Church to take care of something while it was taking place and got to listen in. I think it's pretty cool.

Um, sorry to butt in. :blush:

starsgoblue said:
This concert was a little over a month after 9/11. It was a very dark time. This concert was actually a chance to smile again and be caught up in something bigger than yourself.
I can still remember very vividly how Bono cradled an American flag, without pretense, and passionatley kissed it.
I can remember also at that concert how he ran off the stage to climb into the rafters to reach a 9 year old girl in the 200 section, singing to her while hanging off the rail with one arm. He asked her name, pointing the microphone towards her face, and the young girl girl shouted "I love you!" in her excitement. As the crowd cheered, Bono, still hanging off the balcony said, "I wanna say a prayer. A prayer that these times we're living in will pass quickly and America and Europe will be safe. And that the rest of the world doesn't have to live on less than a dollar a day." It was then Bono began chanting "40"...singing "How long to sing this song". Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

:hug: That moment and that prayer changed my life as well. It didn't instantly - it was the constant pondering as to why me (through my daughter) - what did the prayer mean?

starsgoblue said:
I paraphrased Psalm 116 at the intro to Streets. "What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me?" Tears sprang to my eyes at seeing this man, who I had always seen as larger than life, being humble and raising his hands in supplication. "I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people" It was then the house lights went on and I could see the thousands of fans around me.

This moment is one of the greatest moments of the Elevation tour. I didn't realize it until I got the Boston DVD, as the first time I experienced it I wasn't close enough to the scene to appreciate it and the second time, I was behind the screen holding my daughter and I guess you could say in shock.

starsgoblue said:
I realized it was not enough to be morally convicted about things going on in the world, that you had to act upon those convictions. I began to actively care about philanthropic endeavors such as the AIDS crisis in Africa.

Through being led by a prayer and communicating with fans from all over the world, I end up trying to do the same. :hug:

Oh, and Walk On is now my favorite song from ATYCLB :heart:

Maybe I should get a heart in the suitcase tatoo? :D

starsgoblue said:

:heart:

I think you should! :wink:

LOL! Honestly, I will think about it - and while I have thought of that tattoo for me before - having a tattoo at all isn't something I have ever considered. :D

Man, I am so proud of you for being so confident as to where you are going after all of the changes in your life. I'm in a whirlwind of losses, stress and uncertaintly. I try to remain confident and have faith, but it isn't easy these days.

My husband left and according to him it is because of the U2 changes. Somehow, I know it is best because I was unhappy with him - but I also felt that our problems could have been so easily resolved if we both put effort into them. I am so angry with him for bailing - but I also feel something better will be coming my way. Sometimes it's hard to keep that faith though - I mean really - what a thing to look for when you are the mother of 3 children that are not close in age. Who the heck would be crazy enough to walk into that chaos? See - lost faith already!

BostonAnne said:

LOL! Honestly, I will think about it - and while I have thought of that tattoo for me before - having a tattoo at all isn't something I have ever considered. :D

Man, I am so proud of you for being so confident as to where you are going after all of the changes in your life. I'm in a whirlwind of losses, stress and uncertaintly. I try to remain confident and have faith, but it isn't easy these days.

My husband left and according to him it is because of the U2 changes. Somehow, I know it is best because I was unhappy with him - but I also felt that our problems could have been so easily resolved if we both put effort into them. I am so angry with him for bailing - but I also feel something better will be coming my way. Sometimes it's hard to keep that faith though - I mean really - what a thing to look for when you are the mother of 3 children that are not close in age. Who the heck would be crazy enough to walk into that chaos? See - lost faith already!

BostonAnne :hug: Maybe that tattoo would be a good idea....it could serve as an outward reminder of the change you've had on the inside. Sometimes you just need to be reminded, you know? I look at mine often and get strength from it as corny as that may sound.

I was at that concert with the bad news boyfriend that I left. In the midst of all that wonderful and spiritual things going on it was also during that concert that I looked over at him and thought to myself, "Things just aren't going to work out. He is wrong and unhealthy for me" That thought was unsettling to me then, because even though I knew deep down it was true & nessacary it was still very scary for me to get the courage to do it. So believe me, I know how you feel. And to be honest, you have become a better person since the concert--you've become compassionate and give a damn about other people...and you don't just talk about doing things for others, you get out there and do it--you live out your ideals. If he thinks that is a bad thing and if he actually tried to make you feel badly about that, well hon, he was damn lucky to have ever had you and it's his fault for not being able to see what is as clear as day to me. And I have no doubt that someone else will see it too and cherish that part of your personality and heart.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
And to be honest, you have become a better person since the concert--you've become compassionate and give a damn about other people...and you don't just talk about doing things for others, you get out there and do it--you live out your ideals. If he thinks that is a bad thing and if he actually tried to make you feel badly about that, well hon, he was damn lucky to have ever had you and it's his fault for not being able to see what is as clear as day to me. And I have no doubt that someone else will see it too and cherish that part of your personality and heart.

:hug: thanks stars! While I do know this, I needed to hear it tonight. It would be nice not to care about wanting someone else right now though because it should be the least of my worries. My plate is pretty full as is.

boy, I really crashed your thead. sorry about that.

BostonAnne said:

:hug: thanks stars! While I do know this, I needed to hear it tonight. It would be nice not to care about wanting someone else right now though because it should be the least of my worries. My plate is pretty full as is.

boy, I really crashed your thead. sorry about that.

It my thread, I can do whatever I want with it! :p

I'm glad I could be able to tell you something you needed to hear. Plate, schmate. I understand how you'd like to be able to share yourself with someone, so don't feel bad about that. Just be sure it's someone who knows how lucky they are to be sharing life with you!

:hug:

starsgoblue said:
Absolutley not. I also don't think things such as homosexuality is sending anyone there either. I probably have liberal views about the concept of hell.

OK, perhaps I got the wrong impression. I gathered you were essentially an evangelical, and in my experience evangelicals believe anyone who hasn't "been saved" on their terms is going to hell.

I'm a religious Jew who spent much of my childhood in a small Southern town. Most of my schoolmates were from evangelical backgrounds, and I was frequently put in the unwelcome position of being expected to provide definitive answers to all sorts of absurd accusations and very rude and ignorant questions about Jews. Although I did make some wonderful (Christian) friends who I've stayed in touch with, it was in general a very hostile environment, and I don't miss it at all.

Partly because of that experience, I do not feel warmly towards Jews For Jesus and their proselytizing relatives. I'm sure evangelical Christians feel similarly towards those self-professed 'Christians' who deny the divinity of Jesus and dismiss the Passion and Resurrection as mythic allegory ('But, I really dig His teachings!'). You can only step so far outside a community's accepted self-definitions before it becomes nonsensical--or worse, exploitative--to call yourself a member.

What I as a religious Jew take offense at is certainly not Jews converting to Christianity--I've lots of atheist and 'Buddhist' Jewish friends, so that would be quite hypocritical--but rather, when said converts exploit ethnic privilege by still presenting themselves as RELIGIOUS Jews, which to me is what the term 'Messianic Jew' suggests. If that is not how you were presenting yourself, then I definitely misunderstood you and would like to apologize.

yolland said:

What I as a religious Jew take offense at is certainly not Jews converting to Christianity--I've lots of atheist and 'Buddhist' Jewish friends, so that would be quite hypocritical--but rather, when said converts exploit ethnic privilege by still presenting themselves as RELIGIOUS Jews, which to me is what the term 'Messianic Jew' suggests. If that is not how you were presenting yourself, then I definitely misunderstood you and would like to apologize.

I totally understand what you're saying and no that's not what I'm all about. :up:

starsgoblue said:
I totally understand what you're saying and no that's not what I'm all about. :up:

Thanks for clarifying. My apologies for the misunderstanding and for jumping to conclusions.

What is your understanding of salvation and its role in spiritual life?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom