Ask the kidney stone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, man, I'm sorry...

Do they have you on some kind of super-potent pain medication?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What are some of the leading causes of kidney stones?

And is there really only one way to pass them?:yikes:

Believe it or not...it depends on the kind of stone that is forming within you.

In my particular case, they seemed to think when I had my first stone eleven years ago, that I was getting too much calcium in my diet.

Now there is a theory that I am not getting enough calcium in my diet.

As for passing them.

It is preferred that you pass the stone through the existing plumbing if you are able. A stone that is 3-4 millimeters theoretically should pass.

I say theoretically because they told me three years ago, that the stone at the time was 2mm. After it being stuck between the baldder and the kidney for close to six weeks, they operated. At the time, they discovered that the stone was 2mm on it's side, but close to one centimeter the other way. The angle of the CT scan and the Ultra SOund, made them think the stone was smaller.

The worst part of the entire journey is passing through the wall of the bladder. The rest of the plumbing should habdle the stone. Whil passing throught the tubing, kidney stones cut the tubing causing pain and bleeding. They are not smooth creatures, but are VERY jagged.

If the stone gets stuck, and they have to pull it ot through the plumbing, hopefully it fits into the basket that they send through your tubing. Otherwise, as happened to me, they have to push the stone all the way back up into the kidney. Once there, the use the basket to hit it like a hammer. Then they make as many trips as necessary to pull the pieces out.

Becuase the tubing is so delicate, they they have to stent you. About 5 days later, they pull the stent out of you.

Last night, when I nearly crashed the car when the stone began to move, I drove to the ER I walked in, and explained to the DR's what was happeneing. They pumped me full of some type of pain killer. Sent me to the CT. Confirmed that I indeed knew the pain well and that I have a stone. I was so happy, much to the shock of the staff, because the stone was still in my kidney. When a stone is still in the kidney, the procedure is much less invasive.

They have a machine, which theoretically, is like an anvil. The sound waves can be directed into the kidney, smashing the stone to pieces. making it MUCH easier to pass. Because I will apparently be suffering from stones my entire life (people who get stones more than once, are likely to have more) the Dr. cleared a spot for me on Friday at which time he will try and smash the stone with the soundwaves.

I will feel like I was in a boxing ring on Saturday. The sound waves cause the kidney to bleed, so I will be pissing blood all day saturday. Sunday bruising will appear on my side, but I will be up and around. Monday I will be at work.

yolland said:
Oh, man, I'm sorry...

Do they have you on some kind of super-potent pain medication?

Well, I have been given morphine in the past, but that was when the stone completely blocked urine from making its way to my bladder. That was PAINFUL. I could not walk.

I have percocette here, and they did try and give me morphine last night, but I refused it. Hopped off the guerney, and discharged myself. Once it was confirmed I had a stone, I was relaxed, having been through it before.

I had parent conferences today at school, so I did not want to take anything. I do not miss work unless I am half dead, so I went to school today, and will be there tomorrow. I intend on working Friday, until I head to the hospital for surgery.

I suffer from migranes and I am used to functioning in pain. I do find that the kidney stone pain causes my to sweat pretty heavily and as long as the stone is not moving, I am able to function.

After the surgery, I will be taking percocette.

I apparently have been producing stones for my entire life, some are small enough that I know I am passing them, others, I do not notice at all. However, a few years back, I was put on a medicine for migranes that apparently changed the way my body was woring, causing the stones to grow larger.

[Q] help

Migraine Drug Ups Kidney Stone Risk
Study Provides New Details About the Effects of Topamax

By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Medical News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Nov. 1, 2006 -- The popular migraine medicine Topamax increases the risk of kidney stones , reports a team of researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) in Dallas.

Their study, published in the October issue of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases, confirms what doctors have suspected and what was found in clinical trials of the medication.

But the study adds crucial details, says researcher Dion Graybeal, MD, an assistant professor of neurology at UTSW. "The data out there was pretty poor in terms of what the exact evidence was [of a Topamax-kidney stone link]," Graybeal tells WebMD.

Topamax (topiramate) has become one of the most commonly prescribed medications for migraine, Graybeal says, since it was approved for migraines by the FDA in 2004. It was originally approved in 1995 as an antiseizure medication. Since then, more than 4 million patients worldwide have taken it, according to Ortho-McNeil Neurologics in Titusville, N.J., the drug's maker. Ortho-McNeil is a WebMD sponsor.

About 28 million Americans suffer from migraine, Graybeal says. Topamax works by stabilizing the brain's neurons, he says, but it also has an effect on the kidneys

[/Q]

I would not EVER take this medicine if I had a stone. Sadly wit was the most effective medicine I ever took to block migranes. Sadly, my neuroligist and physician did not realize that I should never have been taking this medicine. I am not certain I can blame it for this stone....but I can blame it for the three stones I had in 2003-2004.

199804-001-Kidney-Stone.jpg

Here is an electron microscope photo of a stone.

How to prevent them naturally:

[Q]A Natural Treatment To Prevent Kidney Stones
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 @ 07:10 PDT

If you’ve ever passed a kidney stone, I’m sure you haven’t forgotten that sudden intense pain. Some women have compared it to child birth. A kidney stone is formed when urine and the kidney become supersaturated with stone forming salts and the urine doesn’t contain enough stone preventing substances, one of which is citrate.

Increasing your fluid intake which helps to prevent kidney stones, especially during the summer when dehydration becomes more common. Potassium citrate can be prescribed to prevent the stones from forming. However, lemon juice is full of natural citrates and has been recommended by the American Urological Association. In fact, lemonade may be just as effective for kidney stone prevention. Lemonade may be an attractive alternative remedy to medications. Also increase your fluid intake by at least 16 ounces a day. And reduce the amount of salt and meat in your diet. Lemonade may be a simplistic alternative.
[/Q]

As one of my anatomy professor's said: passing a kidney stone is the worst pain a male can endure, but it's still not as bad as giving birth. :wink:

randhail said:
As one of my anatomy professor's said: passing a kidney stone is the worst pain a male can endure, but it's still not as bad as giving birth. :wink:

Having spoken with a few women who have done both.....

2/3 said the stone was worse......no epidural with the stone.

Dreadsox said:

Having spoken with a few women who have done both.....

2/3 said the stone was worse......no epidural with the stone.

Yep, my cousin's wife had a stone while she was pregnant (she has two kids now) and she said the stone was FAR worse. Prolonged pain, no epidural, and no light at the end of the tunnel.

Angela Harlem said:

:lol:

I had gallstones taken out last Friday. One of the wounds (through which they were removed) is now causing me pain.

...Still not as bad as yours, though.
:yikes:

Hope you are feeling better....

I am told he shattered the stone with the soundwaves.

Straining my urine now....drugs are helping.

They're Baaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I had another one in may and was stricken again in the other kidney two weeks ago when I was leaving DC.

Woooo Hooooo child nine and ten.:applaud:

I shall name them McCain and Obama.....

McCain hurt more so they gave me morphine..... hehe

I heard William Shatner sold his kidney stone to Golden Palace.com for $70,000 dollars and used the money to build a house for Habitat for Humanity. It's true. I saw him on Oprah.

Look into it.

My husband has had kidney stones. I remember him writhing in pain one time, obviously when it's moving through your insides. We have the basket & stuff here. Last time he felt bad, he captured it on his own (with cup) and brought it in. And he suffers from headaches too. I wonder if there's a correlation :hmm: I think he takes Maxalt for that.
Back in '93 we were in Vegas for a few days. He wasn't feeling well, and we ended up in the ER all night. I think they gave him a shot of something & then he was feeling no pain (Demerol?). When they released him in the morning, we ended up checking out & flying back home. What a trip :|

And I believe the kidney stones run on his side of the family, with either his sister & brother or both...

Hope you are feelin' alright now :hug:

Back
Top Bottom