Ask the Homo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great thread, Irvine. :up:

your story about your friend is heartbreaking. :hug:

as a huge bookworm, i'm curious to know: what's your favourite book(s)? what book has had the most influence on you?

nbcrusader said:
How long were you a swimmer?

When did you start? What took you out of the sport?

Are swim meets as boring for swimmers as they are for the parents?

i started swimming at the age of 7 and continued until my senior year of college. swimming in college was great until my junior year, when i found myself being pulled in too many directions at once, getting very serious about school and getting heavily involved with campus government-type stuff. swimming became less important, and then i started writing a thesis ... and then that was it. am thinking about finding a master's program.

no. swim meets are great when you're a participant -- races can be nervewracking, but you get to see all your friends, especially your friends on other teams from all over the state. and then everyone goes out to Dairy Queen afterwards. i loved them, but i fully appreciate how boring it can be for parents. i grew up in CT, and my parents did make the 5 hour drive down to Princeton, NJ to watch me swim the 200 fly (all 2 minutes 5 seconds of it) when i made Zones when i was 14. that's quite a ratio 5 hours travel : 2 minutes swimming.

it's a great, great sport. honest, clean, and you can finish dead last, but if you improve your time, everyone's happy.

and no East German judges ;)

Last edited:
dandy said:
great thread, Irvine. :up:

your story about your friend is heartbreaking. :hug:

as a huge bookworm, i'm curious to know: what's your favourite book(s)? what book has had the most influence on you?

much thanks. as for my story, it was one of those "i can't believe this is actually happening to me" things. it was a very surreal few days, and since i barely knew this person, it wasn't like i experienced any sense of loss. but it deeply, deeply shook me.

as for books, i was an English major, and a pretty voracious reader as well, especially as a child.

favorite books: Trainspotting, All the King's Men, Atonement. Lolita.

others: Gravity's Rainbow, Remains of the Day, The Corrections, The Kite Runner, The Quiet American, The Great Gatsby, All the Little Live Things, The Crying of Lot 49, Catch 22, White Noise, Virtually Normal.

there's more i'm sure, but i'm currently away from my bookshelf and can't think of any others off the top of my head.

as for influence ... let me think about that one. recently, few books have had the impact that _Atonement_ did, as the ending reduced me to tears. (don't think that had happened since i was 9 and reading _where the red fern grows_). and _All the King's Men_ was something of a bible for me when we read it my senior year in high school. Chapter 7, the chapter about how he fell in love with Anne Stanton, is almost beyond belief.

Lolita has a lot to do with my outlook on life, Nabokov's belief that people cannot be contained by words or paragraphs and how understanding always eludes us, slipping through our fingertips.

Trainspotting was huge for me as well -- i wrote my thesis on this, and i basically posited that the novel was about taking inherited identities (in the novel, Scottishness, but it could be anything) are based upon romanticized, idealized notions of a re-imagined past, and that for anyone to wrap his identity around such a thing (like being Scottish, or being an American, or being gay) is buying into the terms and definitions of the colonizer/oppressor. liberation can only be achieved by embracing post-modernity and realizing that identity is self-created.

it took me 90 pages to say this. and it was more coherent 5 years ago.

i also find the final paragraphs of Gatsby to be an astonishing summation of the history of the United States. paraphrased, the whole "this great green breast of a new world when man was faced, for the last time in hisotry, something commensurate to his capacity for wonder. and so we beat on, boats upstream, born ceaselessly into the past."

gives me chills.

Last edited:
I thought I might ask..if you're ever interested in getting married some day, and you are able to, what kind of man would you want to marry? What would you want/ expect from marriage?

Sorry if someone has already asked this, I couldn't remember :der:

Angela Harlem said:

...If it doesn't make your heart flutter then you're hetero. This picture is the ultimate test for sexuality. No doubt. :drool:

All I see is the fact that boy is all sweaty and needs to shave Bleh.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I thought I might ask..if you're ever interested in getting married some day, and you are able to, what kind of man would you want to marry? What would you want/ expect from marriage?

Sorry if someone has already asked this, I couldn't remember :der:

i certainly hope i want to get married. there are no guarantees, and while i think that gay marriage will be legal in a number, if not a majority, of states within the next 10 years, i know that my chances are smaller (for a variety of reasons) than if i were straight. i think it's a wonderful goal, and it is my goal, but i want to be realistic about these things. i want to have a husband, and adopt a child. but life is strange.

i do fear growing old alone. i look at my grandmother, who i adore beyond words. she's 87, increasingly senile, and my last remaining grandparent. she's in a nursing home, and the only people who really visit her are her children. without children, what do you have when you get old and incapable of caring for yourself? at the end of the day, it is the children who care for their parents, and for whatever reason, no matter how devoted an uncle i might become, i do worry about having the same support network. luckily, i get along well with my brother and sister, and i'm older, so i'll probably go first ;) phew.

what do i want from a husband? you mean other than that he be Jude Law?

hmmmm ... ideally, someone who you can live with, who will let you love them, and will respect you as a person. gay male couples (the successful ones) tend to be very good at backing each other up, being solid and dependable for one another. and also giving the other space. that's important to me -- i think most men need their space, especially the straight ones. given that i have arty inclinations, and can be a bit scattered, i'd probably prefer someone a bit more grounded than i am. really, you're looking for compliments, the ability to funciton as a unit, and i almost see the relationship of two men growing old togther not to be as emotionally intertwined and dependent as a straight couple might be (or, good gosh, a lesbian couple! the levels of emotional intimacy that i've seen lesbians achieve is astounding ... not always in a good way). rather, it is two individual men having decided to be committed to one another on a highly egalitarian level. i think i alluded to this earlier, but i do think gay couples, male and female, provide wonderful egalitarian models for straight couples to perhaps learn from.

but, i do fear growing older. i know we all do, and it's not like i'm a big party circuit boy livinig off a set of well oiled, rippling abs and doing ecstasy at the clubs every weekend. i work hard, and am motivated by much, much more than sex and fun and loud music. many of those (admittedly gorgeous) guys party through their 20s, and then wake up one day and they're 45 and they wonder what the hell happened to their youth and at the mess their lives have become. i know that won't happen to me, but i do fear being alone, and at the end of a particular genetic strand. so this motivates me (sometimes to the point of anxiety attacks) to make absolutely the most of every minute i have on this earth, and to make my "children" my work (i work in TV, and aspire to be a filmmaker).

but it is scary.

Last edited:
ZeroDude said:
Ello Irvine do you not think its stupid that alot of straight guys find it hard to admit it when other men are attractive, I mean are they just uncomfortable saying things like that i.e. they think it makes them less of a man lol, I have no problem being complimentary when its due, it just seems daft to me that alot of us find it hard to do so plus a little less serious are scarves a good thing or should I avoid them:wink:

I'd just like to make a comment.

I'm a pretty hardcore heterosexual, and believe me I've tried but failed to identify what a "hot" or attractive man is.

If I'm with female freinds and they see a bloke they find hot or attractive, they sometimes say to me "dontcha think he's cute/sexy/hot?" and it's not a case of not wanting to admit that they are hot, but rather not understanding what hot is. I have a vague idea of what a girl might find a hot guy to be like, but I could never identify what one could look like.

I can't help it, i just wish I had understanding, but I've accepted that I don't have any homosexual tendancies.

So it's not always a case of not wanting to admit a bloke is attractive, but instead not understanding what hot is.

Also great thread Irvine.

And I gotta say mate, if you wanna get married to a bloke go for it!

Love is natural

Marriage is not natural, and is a man made idea, that we could all survive without. Ignore bigoted traditionalists and follow your heart.

That was a beautiful answer Irvine, I hope you don't mind if I call you a sweetheart :wink:

I hope you find everything you're looking for and everything you deserve :)

This has to be one of the best and most respectful threads on FYM, ever. I hadn't had time to read it all til today.

I have several gay friends but it was nice to read your replies without the emotional connections. You seem like a really great person, very centered.

I second Mrs S

intedomine said:

I'd just like to make a comment.

I'm a pretty hardcore heterosexual, and believe me I've tried but failed to identify what a "hot" or attractive man is.

If I'm with female freinds and they see a bloke they find hot or attractive, they sometimes say to me "dontcha think he's cute/sexy/hot?" and it's not a case of not wanting to admit that they are hot, but rather not understanding what hot is. I have a vague idea of what a girl might find a hot guy to be like, but I could never identify what one could look like.

I can't help it, i just wish I had understanding, but I've accepted that I don't have any homosexual tendancies.

So it's not always a case of not wanting to admit a bloke is attractive, but instead not understanding what hot is.

I just find it strange though and I'm just about 100 per cent sure I'm straight as hell. I just wander why other straight guys can't realise when other men are attractive I mean this doesn't mean you have homosexual tendancies at all lol, I just don't get it, I don't know

ZeroDude said:

I just find it strange though and I'm just about 100 per cent sure I'm straight as hell. I just wander why other straight guys can't realise when other men are attractive I mean this doesn't mean you have homosexual tendancies at all lol, I just don't get it, I don't know

I don't either, it makes me laugh to think people feel like they may have homosexual "tendancies" if they do.

ZeroDude said:

yeah, i kind of agree.

i mean, there are empirical standards of what is and what isn't considered good looking. example: facial symmetry. i took a social psych class, and they used Denzel Washington's face as an example of one that was nearly perfectly symmetrical. you don't have to be turned on by Denzel, or even think he's sexy, to determine that this is a good looking human being. i wouldn't expect a straight man to react to a good looking man in the way that he reacts to a good looking woman ... it's more akin to appreciating good architecture, i think, or a well-made cabinet or something. to pick a musical example, that while it does nothing for me in any substansive way, i can listen to, say, "bye, bye, bye" and appreciate the meticulous construction of the song without forming any kind of emotional attachment that i do to another meticulously constructed song, like "walk on."

hope THAT doesn't offend anyone ... ;)

Irvine511 said:

what do i want from a husband? you mean other than that he be Jude Law?

:drool: Amen to that, my brotha.

(Seriously, great post, through and through. Some great thoughts on love and marriage.)

maybe we should close this thread?

it is getting harder to hate

the sin(er)

when he appears to be an intelligent, caring, articulate person.

my soul may be in danger.

Irvine511 said:
[B
i'm 5'11, used to be blond, blue eyes, fair skinned (irish/swedish descent), former butterflyer who's let himself go a bit and could stand to lose 10 lbs. i've been told i look like Andy Richter as well, a comment i'm not sure how to take. i've also been told i look like the eldest brother from "home improvement." [/B]

I must say that you sound rather tasty, judging by your description. :yes:

Thanks for this thread - it's interesting, and it's good to consider various issues and ideas from different perspectives.

deep said:
maybe we should close this thread?

it is getting harder to hate

the sin(er)

when he appears to be an intelligent, caring, articulate person.

my soul may be in danger.

it's interesting ... all these affirmations are really wonderful, and please know that they are sent back to everyone tenfold.

but i was hoping for a little more friction, for those FYMers who do view homosexuality as a sin, or a choice, or whatever. i was hoping they might have questions, or whatever. it's been a bit of a love-in, which is lovely, but i am also open to tougher questions that you might not feel comfortable asking a gay person to his/her face. please, use the anonymity of the internet to pose whatever questions might be lurking out there.

i would also add that, as Bono has said, reminding ourselves of our common humanity -- the fact that we love, hurt, fear, etc. -- is a powerful thing; but is might be an even more powerful thing to see real differences between people, and to respect people for those differences.

i'll throw this out there, for the sake of argument.

fidelity.

would it bother anyone if i posited that looser expectations of marital fidelity might work better for male/male couples? that indiscretions might actually work to strengthen the bonds rather than weaken them? that two men might be more sympathetic to the need to seek sexual adventure and satisfaction outside marital/civil bonds better than a male/female couple might?

i also think that men find cheating wives more unforgivable than women find cheating husbands. that the same-genderness of gay and lesbian couples magnify both the best traits and the worst traits of either gender, and also underscore the fact that the two genders are really very different, and summed up in a cute but close-to-a-truth joke:

Q: What does a lesbian bring to a 2nd date?
A: a U-Haul and all her belongings.
Q: What does a gay man bring to a 2nd date?
A: what 2nd date?

just a thought.

Last edited:
I like love-ins better :wink:

As for what you said, I think that would depend on the men-maybe that perpetuates a certain stereotype(that two gay men would be more accepting of infidelity for the purpose you described), but that's more for you to say than for me :) Maybe I'm too "old fashioned" about that issue to fully understand that concept.

I think the most important thing here is that people have gotten to know you better as a person. I think the fact that you are gay has become secondary, and maybe that's an accomplishment in and of itself.

good point

they say men are more prone to cheat

however, women are catching up

one stat i heard recently was that something like 60% of married men will cheat and 45% of married women will.

the older i get, the easier it is for me to be monogamous

coemgen said:
Amsterdam. Wow. I went there with my family because my mother's side is Dutch and our family friends there led us through the red light district to get to this church I think it was called Ode Kerk. Sureal experience man. Good times though. The Anne Frank house gave me chills.

Just to say... that would be Oude Kerk, on Oudekerksplein, in Amsterdam.

Old Church, on Old Church Square!!

Irvine, I love the idea of freer relationships, but anyone I know who has had an open marriage has ended up divorced anyway. Same goes for gay men that I know, although they may be more likely to cheat on a partner, they never seem to be happy about it. I think the theory of sharing is great and that gays may understand or forgive more easily if something happens, but I also think that no one truly enjoys being the one left behind (so to speak)

MrsSpringsteen said:
I like love-ins better :wink:

As for what you said, I think that would depend on the men-maybe that perpetuates a certain stereotype(that two gay men would be more accepting of infidelity for the purpose you described), but that's more for you to say than for me :) Maybe I'm too "old fashioned" about that issue to fully understand that concept.

hmmm ... i think "need" to stray might have been the wrong word. perhaps "temptation" to stray might be better.

yes, it does perpetuate a certain stereotype, but the gay male couples i know have a much more casual attitude towards infidelity than straight couples i know. it's not 100%, of course, but there seems to be this shared understanding. it bothers me a bit, like we're selling ourselves short. and it does make sense that standards of fidelity should be the same for all married couples, gay or straight. it has nothing to do with being old fashioned or not. i think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that your spouse will be faithful to you, and that if he/she isn't, it's grounds for divorce (should you so choose).

i also have seen gay men -- andrew sullivan on the right, dan savage on the left -- chastise the culture for being too preoccupied with sex, and demand that gay men take more responsibility for their actions. that, sadly, the spread of STDs, including HIV, particularly today when we know how these things are spread, often does come down to irresponsible behavior. no, no one ever *deserves* to get herpes, chlymidia, or god forbid HIV, but there is an element of personal responsibility that the culture as a whole has run away from -- for a variety of reasons, whether good reasons or not.

this is something i struggle with. the sexual freedom is exhilarating, but i now know enough to realize that it's also a dead end. many men, right after they first come out, go through a very promiscuous stage, a combination of depression and elation, of being free and totally apart from all the rules you were brought up with. it can also be a dangerous time, compounded by the fact that most are young and stupid anyway when they first come out.

also, because i am fearful of dying old and alone, my attitude towards fidelity is the following: whatever you need to make the relationship work and for it to last. i can easily see myself forgiving an indiscretion if the person mattered more to me than whatever expectations that i might have had.

this is something that i dont' feel totally comfortable with, as i said earlier. the "best" couple i know have been together 15 years (and they're only now hitting 40). they love each other, completely, and they also don't care if one messes up every now and then. bluntly, one said to me that he didn't care if the other was on a business trip, went to a bar, brought some meaningless trick home, because he knew that all it was was just sex, not love. what the two of them had was love, and that he would always come home to him, and that was what mattered. and that the tolerance of occasional mess-ups actually strengthened the relationship, because there was an understanding in place, and there wasn't the pressure of "if you cheat, we're over." this isn't an open relationship by any means, but it is different from the cultural standard that i absorbed growing up.

and i dunno. i'm still dealing with this.

at the end of the day, i want to have someone. and i'm willing to fight my own expectations and idealism.

remember: it's a smaller applicant pool. 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 are gay; you do the best you can with what you have.

and this is where some of the sadness of being gay comes in. there are lowered expectations for some things. and so, you pick your battles.

MissMoo said:
Irvine, I love the idea of freer relationships, but anyone I know who has had an open marriage has ended up divorced anyway. Same goes for gay men that I know, although they may be more likely to cheat on a partner, they never seem to be happy about it. I think the theory of sharing is great and that gays may understand or forgive more easily if something happens, but I also think that no one truly enjoys being the one left behind (so to speak)

makes a lot of sense to me.

i'm still working through this. none of this has to happen to me, or to anyone, but it is something that i have noticed. and it gives me pause.

I do agree with what you say about making a mistake. It seems that women (at least young women) tend to think that any cheating is the end of it. Truthfully, if you read history there has been a lot of cheating going on. My personal opinion is similar to yours, if it happens you deal with it, and hopefully work through it. My personal peeve is when people lie about it. Live up to your commitments by admitting when you break your commitments, or have an agreement to not ask or tell!

Irvine511,

I know several couples, mainly through my aunt that have been together for many many years. She was 70 this year and was an antique dealer for many years (no stereotype intended just factual). A few have even lost their partners to old age. Maybe they were together before the opening of the gay scene or maybe it's love. Anyway it happens and you won't necessarily need to be older and alone. I also hope society changes and becomes more welcoming and helps nurture partnerships not try to break them.

"at the end of the day, i want to have someone. and i'm willing to fight my own expectations and idealism.

remember: it's a smaller applicant pool. 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 are gay; you do the best you can with what you have.

and this is where some of the sadness of being gay comes in. there are lowered expectations for some things. and so, you pick your battles."

OK, now I understand better what you meant after reading your answer to my question. Geez my question sounded like some self-righteous moral judgment, and I apologize for that.

Irvine and the rest of those who have posted in this thread: It was a great read and I learned a few things along the way. My oldest friend is gay (out of the closet) and he struggles often with it. Sometimes he's completely comfortable with it, other times it's a real challenge. I don't ever ask him questions about his sexuality because to me, he's just Dave, my friend. So Irvine, it was informative to read some of your answers.

Yes, this was a "love fest" w/ little friction and conflict, but on topics of this nature, I'd rather that we all got along as opposed to name calling and silly ignorance.

Irvine511 said:

this is something that i dont' feel totally comfortable with, as i said earlier. the "best" couple i know have been together 15 years (and they're only now hitting 40). they love each other, completely, and they also don't care if one messes up every now and then. bluntly, one said to me that he didn't care if the other was on a business trip, went to a bar, brought some meaningless trick home, because he knew that all it was was just sex, not love. what the two of them had was love, and that he would always come home to him, and that was what mattered. and that the tolerance of occasional mess-ups actually strengthened the relationship, because there was an understanding in place, and there wasn't the pressure of "if you cheat, we're over." this isn't an open relationship by any means, but it is different from the cultural standard that i absorbed growing up.

This is true of my gay friends in long-term relationships as well and, frankly, it is these relationships that I admire and respect and that seem healthy to me. There is not one relationship among my close straight couple friends that I feel is as healthy and strong as those of my gay friends in long-term relationships. I see infidelity in a much different light now through my friendships with gay couples than I used to. I'm just not sure if that kind of tolerance and openness works in hetero relationships because women generally are not interested in the casual one-night stand just for sex if they are in a fulfilling relationship. Women tend to cheat because their needs aren't getting met at home in some way. Men cheat sometimes for the same reason but they can also cheat just for the pure sexual act. So this kind of tolerance in a hetero relationship more often than not would be imbalanced for the woman and leave her feeling like he had all the power in the relationship. I doubt I would end a loving relationship over one indiscretion but I'm not sure I could tolerate multiple indiscretions. It works for gay men; I've never really seen it work for hetero couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom