Ask the hiphop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
go ahead, i will do my best and try and reply to all and everything. i am very much used to shocking questions, so don ´t even try unless you can come up with something really good.

other, my fields of knowledge may involve music, politics, travelling and spirituality. but you can also ask me about my childhood or sex life or girls or what my favorite cereal is. just about everything. i will try to maintain a healthy balance of expressionism and the boring truth.

i ´m really wondering if anyone has a question..

Macfistowannabe said:
What's the oldest trick in the book?

I don´t have the faintest imagination which book you mean, but the oldest trick is the rabbit out of my hat ;)

Anthony said:
Does hip hop still drive the big cars?

Ant.

Most definitely. Hiphop doesn´t have a driving license, but prefers homeless American cars, Continentals, old Mustangs, Cadillacs, you get the picture when hiphop drives by.

hiphop, I hear you're quite the ladies man.

Say you met a stunning woman and went on the perfect date with her and believed her to be the love of your life, but then she disclosed that she is, in fact, a transsexual. Keep dating her, or is that situation too strange for you?

Ant.

P.S. - this is a question I always ask people who I think are at least interesting, so be honoured rather than offended. :wink:

Last edited:
Pero said:
Why do you hiphopers curse in like every verse and than thanking God when getting an award for that song??

Thanks for the interesting question.

Because the world is full of motherfuckers, and it is our tradition to name and curse the evil in this world. However, we are very religious and if the Lord is sending us a Grammy, we know we are on the right way. We know speaking of bad things is far off from doing bad things; communication about it is good, it can release tension and anger. Its like my Princess says:

Leave us alone make your own family a better place
How much hate could we eliminate if you were down with your kids' mix tapes
Stop blaming us for all the pain and stuff, fuck, shit man, it's just a cuss we ain't that dangerous
For every song that supposedly maimed someone's life there's a million songs that changed someone's life
Change your mind chains in your mind people dyin gets defined by parents who lie and hurt their child
Dot commers don't affect migrant farmers, Bronx Bombers get paid enough to help all the baby mamas
I'm a vomit this 'til all the lobbyists in congresses keep their promises and the artists are all real artists

BostonAnne said:
Where is the jungle?

There are three locations. First, the jungle is all around me. It´s the city, the bustling life, busy people, all the chaos around. I am trying to flee the jungle around me, neon lights. It is not the world God has created, but the world man has created. The inhabitants of the cities are ill; in Africa some traditional doctors believe that a city is full of bad spirits.

The second location is the jungle of the Amazonas. I was there when I was a kid, and its very fascinating. So I kinda remember that.

The third location is metaphorical, maybe its best to explain it with a short quote by Osho, a wise man from India:

"The heart is wild, like a jungle. Intelligence is polished, refined by society, but the heart is a jungle – uncultured, uncivilized. It is like the wild animals, like the trees, like the clouds in the sky. But the hand of man has not been able to touch his heart; it cannot reach there. Society can not move beyond the head; only God can reach your heart. The man who gives up his head, his ego, his thoughts, is drenched by the shower from the clouds of Love. The soul is drenched and the jungle becomes green."

This is why I chose the jungle to be my location. When you find me being harsh, always remember I am coming from there.

U2democrat said:
I'm curious about your avatar. Do explain!

The avatar is a picture of Tricky, one of my favorite musicians and producers. Tricky was a founding member of Massive Attack, but decided to go his own ways after their first album. He has accomplished lots of incredible work, his sounds are known for their dark atmosphere. His best albums include "Maxinquaye" and "Pre - Millenium Tension". I like this picture because it is thought-provoking, hard stare, kind of hairstyle, and shirt.

Anthony said:
hiphop, I hear you're quite the ladies man.

Say you met a stunning woman and went on the perfect date with her and believed her to be the love of your life, but then she disclosed that she is, in fact, a transsexual. Keep dating her, or is that situation too strange for you?

Ant.

P.S. - this is a question I always ask people who I think are at least interesting, so be honoured rather than offended. :wink:

Ant, thats a good question.

However, I am not the ladies man... maybe I once was, but all I can hope for is an angel to release me. You can realize that from my posts, its long I haven´t posted kissing smilies or else, except maybe to one particular person on this forum.

I want the real thing, the very one, and so I try to be a brave man and find someone who ´s not playing around like I was, when a very long relation had ended. Ok, I know many ladies, many great women, but (maybe it surprises you to hear that) I say "no" more often than "yes".

As to the stunning transsexual. I don´t know, once (many years ago) I actually knew a transsexual. Never got to the stage of dating or more, but we were flirting. So this girl I knew had just finished her operation, right, and was taking hormones and stuff.

Well, if she had been born as a woman, I would have tried more than I actually did. But her being transsexual was a little too much. Ok, I wasn´t fully in love and didn ´t believe her to be the woman of my life. She was interesting, but I think I had fear. I mean, when she physically was a man, she surely had sexual intercourse with other men. I knew she had lived a rather liberal sexual life (and continued to do so), so it wasn ´t really meant for me. At that time of my life I was interested in everything dark, freaky or "forbidden", so it was great to know her.

If I met a stunning woman, went on the perfct date, and believed her to be the woman of my life (even if it takes more than a few dates for that, but lets suppose I am crazily in love)... and then she tells me she ´s transsexual, first of all it would make a big difference if she ´s already done with the operation. I surely would not date with a (physical) man.

But also if she was fully accustomed, to being a "real" woman, I would have a load of doubts. Maybe I want children sometime - she can ´t get them. So in order to finally reply to your question, I think I would continue to meet her: more like a friend with a little flirting maybe, but surely explain to her that I am not the man for a true, long-time relation with her.

Last edited:
all_i_want said:
dont you think your name is a tad bit too long?? it warps people's minds :huh:

Ask Bono if his lyrics are too long :D

Nope, I am proud of it, because this nick is from the old Interference forum, and thx to Sicy and Elvis I am allowed to keep it.

Indeed, this is what I would probably say to Bono if I met him. Figure that, meeting him in a bar, I would pass by cooly and say "When hiphop drove the big cars, huh?"

Muggsy said:
Do you like latin rap music? :D

Yes, I love it! Seriously! The last album I actually purchased in this genre is a CD called "Viva Santo Domingo" by the "Politicos". I found it at the street market in Nicaragua where you got speakers with latin rap blasting out the music every ten yards. Its a weird funny album.

I also like Jennifer Lopez when she sings in Spanish :D

LostAtMoon said:
What is your definition of hip-hop?

I don ´t define music, but generally you could define it historically, starting with the Jamaican community in NYC, sound systems, old Skool, rap started with some James Brown songs. You could also have a cultural definition regarding lifestyle, including breakdance, graffiti or else. Or define the music with its rather slow beats, MCs, use of drum machines, samples etc. or with the Vibe, sometimes leaning towards Gangsta, then again towards Free Party Vibe.

But I don´t really like definitions. Hiphop is hiphop and changes constantly.

Last edited:
Long time no see.

Any advice for a motivated amateur musician who is looking for someone in the field of production to help bring focus to a disparate set of instrumentals? I guess an off-shoot of that question is whether entrepreneurship and independence is the better avenue in comparison to the forms of collaboration...

Merci.

:sexywink:

cujo said:
Long time no see.

Any advice for a motivated amateur musician who is looking for someone in the field of production to help bring focus to a disparate set of instrumentals? I guess an off-shoot of that question is whether entrepreneurship and independence is the better avenue in comparison to the forms of collaboration...

Merci.

:sexywink:

I do produce; you can send me your songs if you have a demo. You can email me at my blog http://www.myblog.de/kwikstep

I guess it always depends on what you got, what you need, and what you want to do with your music. Independence is great, but if you want to get your songs to a certain level, you may have to delegate and collaborate. Are your songs ready for production? What do you pursue, i.e. in which scene do you want to move, rock Top40 radio, or you want to have more DJgigs, or do you want to play in a local funk band at weekends?

Generally, you will not get a deal out of nothing. A&Rs can get interested in new artists when they sell 10,000s of mp3 files, have a band/ live act ready to tour, have a local fan base, etc. However 1. the industry is in a pretty bad state at the moment 2. most (around 95%) signed bands don´t make a dime 3. home recording is affordable 4. setting up a small label to get a better royalty rate if you ever get a record deal, plus to work with other artists, plus to control your publishing etc. isn´t very difficult 5. major labels have no artist development, its quick bucks 6. independents are faster in spotting trends, and for "underground" styles they maybe the best choice, because they also got specialized distribution channels

so a number of other reasons makes many musicians consider working on their own independent career without caring for MTV, big radio promotion or a major contract

which means either doing it all yourself or looking for the funds for recording, possibly a manager, agent, publisher etc. a professional production budget for an album of an act with a major contract starts at about 100.000 $ - but most bands just cut a demo themselves or with the help of a producer and sell their CDs at gigs.

If you want to know the basics, I would strongly suggest reading Naggar, David: "The Music Business (Explained in Plain English)" (you can get it at Amazon)

Really depends on where you ´re at and what you ´re aiming at.

Thanks for your quick reply, hiphop.

You gave me a lot to think about when I ponder how much I really don't know about the music industry. Right now I just have sounds and ideas... no real direction or aim. It would be nice to have something tangible that reflects my progress as a neophite writer/musician at this point in my "career". Whether that results in something with a market value lining an A&R guy's pocket -or just a side project hobby- I'm not too sure yet. Reading that book sounds like a good start.

But, I won't take up any more page length in your interrogation. Although I might follow up with an email to request more sagely advice.

Thanks again.

:up:

So you're a DJ

Ever used Acoustica?

Free Download - www.acoustica.com

I'm mixing a crazy U2 live compilation with it, it's also quite compatible with hip hop music, or any genre for that matter. I'll brag even more about it once I finish my compilation.

foray said:
If someone asked you, rather confrontationally, "what is feminism?", what would you answer in short?

foray

Depends in which mood I am. If I´m in a good mood, I wouldn´t reply anything specific but forward him/ her to some of my friends who are active feminists.

If my mood is so-so, I would tell him to buy some books by Alice Schwarzer. And tell him there is no short answer to that question, because feminism and gender studies include so many fields.

If I´m in a bad mood, I´d reply "Feminism is Madonna on Like A Virgin" :p

foray said:
Do you realize that your blog is in another language???!

yarof

Yes, my mother´s tongue is German, but some messages and parts of the blog are in English. If you scroll down, you got the link "Kontakt" on the left - click this and you can mail me.

Back
Top Bottom