Ask the hearing-impaired - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
So you're not actually "deaf"?
No, I'm not. I can hear, just not that well.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Do you ever find that your mobility is restricted by your hearing impairment, such as when you need to catch a train or plane?
I actually don't travel that much, even through I love going to new places, and I'll love to go to the UK someday. But whenever I do, I stay with whoever I'm traveling with, which is family members or friends. So I just follow them and stay with my little group.

I don't like using the phone that much, whenever I do use it I always have to have the volume up to the highest setting possible, other wise it's hard to hear the person on the other line. I don't even own a cell phone, which is kind of rare in this day and age. When I was younger, it was almost impossible for me to hear anyone on the phone, even with the volume up at the highest setting, because my hearing aids were bad.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
War Child

I just wanted to say that all of you are coming up with some good questions. Keep it up!!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Yolland - when you have a problem like you've described in Europe, do you tend to explain that you have a hearing problem or just leave people to assume the "dumb American" stereotype? If it was me, I'd be tempted to respond in the native language "I have a hearing problem, NOT a language problem" and be rather snarky (of course I'm also not American, so that would be part of it *g*)

Mr. Green Eyes: I've been to music festivals where there are ASL interpreters and a special seating section near the front for the hearing impaired - would you find them a distraction at a concert or would it help you enjoy the music more?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Drea

Mr. Green Eyes: I've been to music festivals where there are ASL interpreters and a special seating section near the front for the hearing impaired - would you find them a distraction at a concert or would it help you enjoy the music more?
Hm... That's a good question. I honestly didn't know that they had that. Whenever I go to a music festival, I always sit in or near the front. So, yes, it would be helpful, and I would enjoy the show more. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #26
War Child

Keep it up, I'm more than happy to answer all of your questions about anything.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 09:55 PM
have you ever encountered any psychological problems because of your hearing impairment?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #28
War Child

Expain what you mean by psychological problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #29
The Fly

feeling to be left behind at anything?
paranoid for people watching you because you've got funny thingies in your ears?
Do/did people assume you're bad at sports (like in gym class at school before) because you've got hearing difficulties? (though being born 14 weeks premature might have something to do with this? perhaps?)

or, to a larger extent, has it bought you down? why can't I be "normal"?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #30
War Child

Good questions, yes, I did feel left behind. I didn't really have any friends when I was in elementary school, except for three friends that I had outside of school. It got kind of lonely at times. But I had my books, and that was enough for me.
People didn't assume that I was bad at sports, I was. I hated PE, it was terrible, very boring. I was only good at swimming, we had a pool at my school.
You won't believe how tiring it got of hearing,"What are those things in your ears?" I most of heard that more than a hundred times or more.
At first, I wondered what my life could of been like if I wasn't born early, but by the time I was around 8 or so, I realised that it wasn't good to dweal on the past, and on the what ifs.
These were some good questions. Hope that I was able to answer them to your liking. Keep on asking more, and not just on the impairment.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #31
The Fly

due to being born premature, are you sick a lot? does that influence your study/job? is it harder to get a job if you're born premature/hear badly? have you ever been unrightly discriminated against in any way?

gee i'm nosey...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #32
War Child

No, it's ok to be nosey. That's why I started this in the first place.

I don't get that sick, just colds, and 24 hour bugs. I was very sick in the beginning, but that went away. The worst, besides that, was chicken pox when I was 4 and the flu when I was 13, even with that I just slept the whole illness away, literally, I was a sleep for 4 days, only getting up to eat and go to the bathroom.

I'm a senior in high-school now, so I don't have a job. When I was in second-grade, a kid made fun of me because of my speech impairment. It was hard for me to say certain words, still is, so I went to 6 years of speech therapy, during elementary school. Anyway, I couldn't say the word stop, it sounded like shop. So the kid would always say, "want to go shopping" or "I don't want to go shopping now." It got very frustrating after a while. It's also hard for me say anything that starts with the letters ch, like church. I have to be careful in what I'm saying, and make sure that I'm saying the word clearly. It's hard at times. But, that's another reason why I started this, to help myself try to get over the fact that I will NEVER be normal in the eyes of society. Sorry if that upsets upsets anyone, it's just the way I see myself at times.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #33
The Fly

thanks for answering the questions
i just read one of your posts on the first page again, about not ever having met anyone with the same impairments as you have. are there possibilities to join a club of people with similar impairments? if not, would you feel the need to?
i see you use the word impairment rather than disability. is this for the obvious reason, i.e. that impairment doesn't sound as harsh as disability does (to me at least)?
i guess it isn't really a disability anyway, seeing as you can speak and hear?
on a totally different note:
how about the girls? how do they see it? is it hard to get dates?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #34
War Child

Yes, I suppose that there are groups out there, somewhere, but I go to boarding home, and only go home on some weekends out of the week, and during break, like Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

I've always used impairment, it's something that I do. I also have a learning disability, decording certain words on paper, and saying them out load. Oh, and ADD.

On the last note, well...they've never really notise me. I mean I have plenty of friends that are girls, but the genrual population hasn't notised me.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #35
The Fly

if any, what are the advantages of having a hearing impairment?

(running out of questions...)
Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #36
War Child

You get to cut in line at the amusment parks. And don't forget it doesn't have to be about the hearing impairent of the premature birth. Just telling you.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #37
War Child

That's about all that I know about advatages, sorry.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #38
War Child

That's about all that I know about advatages, sorry. And for a eariler post, I ment boarding school, NOT boarding home.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #39
The Fly

Do you think that your impairments (sorry to put it like this, but you seem to ahve quite a few..) stand in the way of your life's dreams?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #40
War Child

That's yet another good question. I hope not. Some of my dreams include writing a best seller, free-lanced photography, and to become a teacher for special needs kids. Oh, and going to Dublin, Ireland someday, that'll be amazing. And seeing a U2 concert. I think that's it. I'll try to think of some more later.