Ask the diabetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daygloeyes2

Blue Crack Addict
I've seen threads like this, so I thought I'd give this a try. :)

Ask any questions about the disease, or anything about me. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

My brother is diabetic, so were my late uncle and my late grandmother. Neither one of them died from diabetes though.

Do you ever feel like diabetes is overlooked/diabetics are discriminated against or somehow blamed for their disease because some people think you can only get it by being overweight?

Are you afraid of the possible complications?

Do you feel like people baby you too much? Do they watch every thing that you eat, how much you exercise, etc?

MrsSpringsteen said:
My brother is diabetic, so were my late uncle and my late grandmother. Neither one of them died from diabetes though.

Do you ever feel like diabetes is overlooked/diabetics are discriminated against or somehow blamed for their disease because some people think you can only get it by being overweight?

People often think(and I did too, before I was diagnosed), that you only get the disease from being overweight. That is true in alot of Type 2 cases, but I have Type 1. Type 1 is caused by genetics. So when I told people I was diagnosed as a diabetic, they were pretty surprised since I'm 5'7 and in the 140's-150's, not overweight at all. Since the media usually only covers the rise in Type 2 cases, I think that's why people assume that's the cause of diabetes.

Are you afraid of the possible complications?

Yes, they do scare me a little bit. I have heard horror stories of people losing a limb or their eyesight due to diabetes. But that's only if I don't take care of myself. As long as I eat right, take my insulin, and exercise, I should be OK. When I was in the hospital when I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago, my doctors told me that as long as I take care of myself, that should be the last time I'm ever in the hospital for my diabetes.

Do you feel like people baby you too much? Do they watch every thing that you eat, how much you exercise, etc?

Yes and no. I can monitor myself pretty well. I've always been good about exercising, and aside from occasional cheats, I've eaten healthy, even before the diabetes. However, my mother does tend to get worried if I show certain signs of low blood sugar, or if I say I'm feeling sick. She automatically assumes it's something to do with the diabetes. Also, in a gym class we had to run a mile. My gym teacher told me due to my condition, I could opt out of it if I wanted to. But I didn't. I ran regularly before I was diagnosed, and I still go on runs. Some people don't understand that just because I am diabetic does not mean I can't still be active and do the things I did before I was diagnosed.

Thanks for your answers :) My brother has type 1, I'm pretty sure my grandmother had type 1 as well. I'm not sure about my uncle to be honest, he never had to inject and just took pills until a few months before he died when he had to start injecting.

I hope for all the best for your health

My cousin has type 1, she wears an insulin pump that clips on her belt with tubing that goes into her leg... a teacher in high school tried to physically take it away because he thought it was a pager and didn't believe her when she told him it wasn't. :rolleyes:

Kristie said:
My cousin has type 1, she wears an insulin pump that clips on her belt with tubing that goes into her leg... a teacher in high school tried to physically take it away because he thought it was a pager and didn't believe her when she told him it wasn't. :rolleyes:

That's horrible. :down:

My dad has diabetes, was diagnosed when he was 34 and it was so far along he had to begin taking the insulin shots daily from the get go. Hence, I got used to eating lower or no sugar foods because of him, which I didn't mind at all. But, it pisses me off because I'll see him now and when I ask him if he's been watching it it's like it fluctuates - he will, then he won't.

He's always after me to test my blood sugar, though. When I saw him a few weeks ago, he did, and I could see the look of relief on his face when I tested normal.

There was also an issue a couple of years ago w/ Clear Channel not allowing people with diabetes to bring their syringes into concerts. I don't know how that was ever resolved. You can still bring them on airplanes, I think you need some sort of "doctors note" and they store them for you. Not quite sure how that works, does anyone know for sure?

I can't believe a HS teacher wouldn't know about an insulin pump :huh: but I guess many people don't know what they look like or that they even exist.

MrsSpringsteen said:
There was also an issue a couple of years ago w/ Clear Channel not allowing people with diabetes to bring their syringes into concerts. I don't know how that was ever resolved. You can still bring them on airplanes, I think you need some sort of "doctors note" and they store them for you. Not quite sure how that works, does anyone know for sure?

Thank you for reminding me of that. I'm going to the Red Sox game tomorrow night so I should probably call up Fenway and make sure I can bring my syringes in.

And how could someone not know the difference between an insulin pump and a pager? :huh:

Have fun! This is what it says on their web site, but I suppose you could call them to make sure. I don't see how that wouldn't be discrimination of some kind if they didn't let you take them in.

"All persons, bags, and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Fenway Park. No bag or item larger than 16"x16"x8" will be permitted inside the Park.

In addition to items larger than 16"x16"x8", the following items are prohibited: Umbrellas, hard-sided coolers, cans, bottles, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, firearms, noise-making devices, and commercial audio/visual equipment. Fans will NOT be able to store any prohibited items at Fenway Park. "

I have another question- do you know what famous people, athletes, etc. have diabetes and does that help you in any way, psychologically or otherwise?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Have fun! This is what it says on their web site, but I suppose you could call them to make sure. I don't see how that wouldn't be discrimination of some kind if they didn't let you take them in.

"All persons, bags, and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Fenway Park. No bag or item larger than 16"x16"x8" will be permitted inside the Park.

In addition to items larger than 16"x16"x8", the following items are prohibited: Umbrellas, hard-sided coolers, cans, bottles, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, firearms, noise-making devices, and commercial audio/visual equipment. Fans will NOT be able to store any prohibited items at Fenway Park. "

I have another question- do you know what famous people, athletes, etc. have diabetes and does that help you in any way, psychologically or otherwise?

Actually, I'm not going to the game tomorrow night. My brother gave me a choice: He'd either get Red Sox tickets or tickets to see Taking Back Sunday tomorrow night, and since they're one of my favorite bands, I chose them. But thanks for posting the info! Good to know for possible future Sox games I go to! :up:

As for your question: I know Halle Berry has diabetes and my mother's boss told me of a famous hockey player from the 70's who has it. It does help me to know that just because I have this disease does not mean I can't do great things. Then again, I'm planning on going into nursing not acting or athletics. :shrug:

my wife is a diabetic, she has the pump. It certainly doesn't make her sugar perfect, but it's kept it more under control than just needles. It's a lot less invasive than using needles before meals or in public places.

Are you a candidate for the pump?

Also, speaking of celebrities w/ diabetes, there is a pitcher for the Tigers (last name is Johnson I believe), and there has been a few basketball players w/ it and American Idol contestant Elliot.:wink:

Numb1075 said:
my wife is a diabetic, she has the pump. It certainly doesn't make her sugar perfect, but it's kept it more under control than just needles. It's a lot less invasive than using needles before meals or in public places.

Are you a candidate for the pump?

Also, speaking of celebrities w/ diabetes, there is a pitcher for the Tigers (last name is Johnson I believe), and there has been a few basketball players w/ it and American Idol contestant Elliot.:wink:

Usually, I just go home before dinner. I don't need to take insulin before lunch since I take a mix on Humalog and NPH before breakfast. Humalog is a short-acting insulin and NPH is a long acting insulin.

Right now, I'm not a candidate for the pump since I was diagnosed only a month and a half ago on March 20th. But in about 6 months to a year I should know if I am. :up:

best of luck. It can be real annoying and frustrating at times, but if you take care of yourself, you'll live a long happy life.

daygloeyes2 said:

Usually, I just go home before dinner. I don't need to take insulin before lunch since I take a mix on Humalog and NPH before breakfast. Humalog is a short-acting insulin and NPH is a long acting insulin.

Right now, I'm not a candidate for the pump since I was diagnosed only a month and a half ago on March 20th. But in about 6 months to a year I should know if I am. :up:

Did you know you were diabetic? How did you end up getting diagnosed? I dont think I know any other type 1's.
:hmm:

Havent been around much the past few months, so thats why I havent replied. I had been feeling very tired in the months before I was diagnosed. In february, I began to feel dehydrated. I was drinking well over 10 bottles of water a day. In fact the week before I was diagnosed, I drank a 2 liter bottle of soda in one sitting! Looking back, that should have alerted me something was wrong.

I wound up getting diagnosed when I went to thd doctor to find out what was wrong. My blood was tested and my blood sugar was 470. :yikes:

470??? what measurement does your test record in?
Mine here is mmol/L. My highest known recording was 32.6 or something, and it's read simply HI depending on the metre, and also LO, again depending on the metre. I've been so low that I've passed out, and so high that I've had to go into hospital for ketones.

I've had Type 1 Diabetes for seven years, now. Sometimes it has been incredibly difficult and taxing, and at many other times it has been easy even for me to forget that I have the disease at all.

My biggest issues? Here you go...

1) Travel. Changing time zones, constant concerns about keeping insulin cold (especially when you live in humid-as-shit Japan!!!), and always needing to be able to count carbohydrates make shit REALLY fucking taxing. Sometimes it ain't not thang, but most of the time travel fucks me right up the ass. It's damn tough, man. Damn tough.

2) I can't sleep in! Every day, I get up no later than 8:00 am in order to get my breakfast and early morning insulin in. Like dayglo, I also use a mixture of fast-acting and slow-acting insulins--Humalog and Humulin N. As the years have gone on, this has been less and less reliable, and I'm now hoping to switch insulins. It seems my body has built up a bit of a defense, for some reason, to this particular combination. Also, I often find that if I sleep in or take any naps during the day, it causes my blood sugar levels to rise...sometimes exponentially. My HBA1C count is usually in the 5.6-6.0 range, which means I'm good to go. But, still...it's not always in that range, and if I've had a tired few months, that's probably why.

On a related note, I won't get too graphic, but...you know...there are a few other bedtime activities which high blood sugars (or low) make pretty hard to deal with. If I'm looking to get some play and my sugar is high, it's not a good idea for me to get it...and that SUCKS, MAN!!!!! In the long term, that sort of thing can lead to impotence or even loss of sensation, and I'm not willing to role like that. Sometimes it's really fucking hard, though, to have to stop every time and say, "Hey, baby...I'm really sorry, but I need to go stab my finger and bleed all over the place before we get down. I'll be RIGHT back! Don't go nowhere!" Sigh. So sketchy. So. Fucking. Sketchy.

3) A worthless piece of shit like President George Bush telling me that just because his nonexistent God decided I should have to live with this horrible, debilitating, slow-killer of a disease, it means that I shouldn't ever have the chance to be cured via stem cell research. I can't wait to spit right the fuck in the face of the next person who tells me that he/she doesn't believe in advancing the sciences. Worthless fucks, all of them. There's nothing worse than being told, "No, you don't deserve to be cured. You can just hold off death, instead. Oh, but cancer? No, that's different. We should cure cancer."

Fucking ridiculous. It's the one major psychological problem I've had with the disease. The unfortunate truth is that there is no "treatment," as such, for Type 1. It's possible and not too hard (usually) to live a full and satisfying life with the disease, but any treatment only goes so far as to shave off the year you lose. The bottom line is that this disease will fuck me up, over time, no matter what I do. The body is not supposed to live like this, and it will only do so for so long at top condition.

I didn't choose to be like this. I hate that people get to choose for me whether or not I get to live a healthy life. I want to eat whenever I feel like it, again. I just want to have ONE Dr. Pepper at a barbecue without having to excuse myself to go to the bathroom and take insulin. I want not to have to plan every last second of every last day around my meal schedule. I want not to have to turn down jobs because they wouldn't work with my health requirements. I want to be healthy, damn it. THIS is my biggest problem with Diabetes--I'm not allowed to be healthy.

It's fucked up. Sorry for ranting a bit, but it kills me to see somebody else just having been diagnosed who's going to have to start figuring out these questions for him/herself in the next few years. Discrimination does exist. People are just too fucking worthless to realize they're participating in it, and nobody realizes that insulin injections don't cure shit. They just keep you around for a few more years, if you're lucky. It's really sad, and I wish that celebrities with the disease would speak up a bit more about it. Why fight so hard for AIDS and Parkinson's but not for Diabetes? It's jacked up, man.

daygloeyes2 said:
I wound up getting diagnosed when I went to thd doctor to find out what was wrong. My blood was tested and my blood sugar was 470. :yikes:

Also, when I was diagnosed, it was pretty late in the game. I was going into the coma and starting to die as I finally made it to the hospital. I drank 4 gallons of water (and, like an idiot, GATORADE) in one day and urinated 27 times.

My blood sugar was 740 when I was admitted to intensive care. I was looking death in the face. Scary times, those. Scary times.

Ask your doctors about a new 24 hour insulin which will be on the market (here in Aus) in October. It's currently a delightful $150 per vial, but will be going on our PBS soon after and will be inline with other 5 vial prescriptions. I'm hoping it can do away with the craptacular Protophane and the (still) untested Humalog.

I switched off the NPH since I was getting too low with it. I'm now on lantus and I take a shot of it at night. There are no ups and downs with it and it lasts for 24 hours.

daygloeyes2 said:
I switched off the NPH since I was getting too low with it. I'm now on lantus and I take a shot of it at night. There are no ups and downs with it and it lasts for 24 hours.

That sounds dank as hell. Oh, how I miss being able to afford health insurance...!

daygloeyes2 said:

Aye, that's the one! So you get one injection a day?? I've been stuck on 4 since the last pregnancy and it shits me.

Back
Top Bottom