ask the carpenter/first aid/safety gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Se7en said:
so what's the difference between cabinetry and carpentry?

carpentry is framing houses, building highrises, doing baseboards and panelling and such. Cabinetry is finer detail...kitchen cupboards from start to finish (the carpenter installs the finished product, the cabinet maker builds the)

both are a four year apprenticeship but you use different tools and carpenters have to learn roof structures (hips and valleys) and how to do stairs.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ever shoot yourself with a nail gun?

nope. never used a nail gun. They use them mostly for framing (houses) and i spent most of my four year apprenticeship buiding highrises.

however, i did have to do first aid on a guy who shot his foot with a nail gun - twas easy...just took him to the hospital and they pulled it out :D

boriel said:

i spent most of my four year apprenticeship buiding highrises.

Did you specialize in any trade such as the welding, framing the interiors, etc or did you do a little of everything?

My father is a carpenter(houses and some commercial) and I was an architect but helped my father quite a bit growing up. But most of my experience is wood framing, I never did any work on a high rise so I'm not sure how that industry works.

well, part of our 4 year apprenticeship was a week of welding, in helmuts that were at least 20 yrs old and superheavy ugh. Stupid thing is that a carpenter is not allowed to do welding here unless you have a welding ticket, and one week aint gonna cut it. Anyhow, yes, I specialized in concrete and formwork (highrise) simply because of the job market situation.

in order to be hired to frame houses, you usually have to be part of a framing crew, and up here, most crews are paid piece work and not by the hour, so they wont take an apprentice on. I did 4 years of concrete/formwork, 6 weeks of framing, and only 4 weeks of finishing carpentry (again, if you are spending a thousand dollars on oak doors, no-one will let an apprentice be the one to learn how to drill the holes in the door for the hardware)

I quite enjoyed highrise though. We pour a floor a week, and so in 6 months you have a 24 storey highrise!

you *were* an architect...what do you do now?

boriel said:

you *were* an architect...what do you do now?

Well funny enough I do pharmaceutical sales now. I got fed up with the industry. I'll still do it on the side, but the BS and the pay aren't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom